• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob was a Celtic fan?

Bad Bhoy Bob Marley, Gullit Mo's best

October 15, 2011

By Dominic Raynor
    (Archive)

Off The Ball never rests in its mission to scratch around the underbelly of professional football to find the most bizarre, humorous and inexplicable stories.

This week, reggae legend Bob Marley is revealed as a fanatical Celtic supporter, Ruud Gullit vows to regrow his iconic 1980s moustache, Paul Gascoigne recounts his booze bender with Colonel Gaddafi's son, Santos urge Barcelona to sign up Diego Maradona and we provide our National Curry Week XI.

Lisbon Lion Zion

AP

Bob Marley and Brazil's Paulo Cesar

As they trail arch-rivals Rangers by ten points in the SPL, Celtic could really do with a shot [The Sheriff] in the arm and former Hoops striker John 'Dixie' Deans provided one this week when he revealed that Bob Marley was a huge Celtic fan and could even name all of the Lisbon Lions side that lifted the European Cup in 1967.

In his new autobiography, Deans, who scored 124 goals in 184 appearances for the [Bad] Bhoys, tells of a chance meeting with the Rastafarian reggae legend, who approached him during his time at Adelaide City in the late '70s and said: "Are you the Dixie Deans who used to play for Celtic?"

Marley went on to name all of Jock Stein's side that beat Inter Milan 2-1 at the Estadio Nacional in Lisbon, adding: "I'm a big Celtic fan. I would love to go to Scotland to see Celtic Park and maybe even kick a few balls there. Celtic has always been my team."

Deans, who admits he didn't know who Marley was at the time, wrote: "I was greatly impressed by the great man's football knowledge. And when we got down to training, I was just as impressed by his football ability."
    Last edited by Karl; October 16, 2011, 12:03 PM.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
    Bad Bhoy Bob Marley, Gullit Mo's best

October 15, 2011

By Dominic Raynor
    (Archive)

Off The Ball never rests in its mission to scratch around the underbelly of professional football to find the most bizarre, humorous and inexplicable stories.

This week, reggae legend Bob Marley is revealed as a fanatical Celtic supporter, Ruud Gullit vows to regrow his iconic 1980s moustache, Paul Gascoigne recounts his booze bender with Colonel Gaddafi's son, Santos urge Barcelona to sign up Diego Maradona and we provide our National Curry Week XI.

Lisbon Lion Zion

AP

Bob Marley and Brazil's Paulo Cesar

As they trail arch-rivals Rangers by ten points in the SPL, Celtic could really do with a shot [The Sheriff] in the arm and former Hoops striker John 'Dixie' Deans provided one this week when he revealed that Bob Marley was a huge Celtic fan and could even name all of the Lisbon Lions side that lifted the European Cup in 1967.

In his new autobiography, Deans, who scored 124 goals in 184 appearances for the [Bad] Bhoys, tells of a chance meeting with the Rastafarian reggae legend, who approached him during his time at Adelaide City in the late '70s and said: "Are you the Dixie Deans who used to play for Celtic?"

Marley went on to name all of Jock Stein's side that beat Inter Milan 2-1 at the Estadio Nacional in Lisbon, adding: "I'm a big Celtic fan. I would love to go to Scotland to see Celtic Park and maybe even kick a few balls there. Celtic has always been my team."

Deans, who admits he didn't know who Marley was at the time, wrote: "I was greatly impressed by the great man's football knowledge. And when we got down to training, I was just as impressed by his football ability."
    Thanks Tilla, we see/hear something nobody has ever mentioned about Bob before, interesting! I am sure Skill Cole must have known that!

Really opened up a few thoughts and questions.

1. Had no idea the Celtics had won a European championship, apparently they were the first British club to do it and still the only Scottish club to do so.
    2. Why are they called the Lisbon Lions, well it seems they won the Euro club champs cup in Lisbon thus the Lisbon Lions.
    3. As many people probably already know, the first back player at Celtic was a Jamaican Gil Heron that played there in 1951, same guy whose son turn out to be Gil Scott Heron the US Jazz poet who wrote "The revolution will not be televised'

Comment

Working...
    X