Racist fury: Liverpool star Suarez called me the N-word, WOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
    "in my country we call each other tonto all the time" is what you said...hence it is acceptable IN YOUR COUNTRY... n'est-ce pas? it might NOT be in another jurisdiction... that's all I'm pointing out...which is what the Suarez people are claiming...
    Well spotted!
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Comment

One word with many meanings translates into sports controversy

A racially-charged word with many meanings may be at the root of a dispute between two sports rivals that reaches far beyond the soccer field, analysts say.

Manchester United's Patrice Evra, who is black, says the word Uruguayan Luis Suarez shouted repeatedly during a match last month was a racial slur. Evra demanded that Suarez be held accountable for the controversial exchange, which erupted as authorities investigate other accusations of racism in soccer.

Suarez, a striker for Liverpool, hasn't specified what he said, but he argues that it wasn't offensive.

(continue)
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

taking all of that into consideration and for the avoidance of doubt, are you saying/suggesting that suarez said nothing wrong and should not have been charged?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Hard to say what he should or should not have been charged with unless we know what he actually said.
          - Xavi

Comment

fair enuff ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

... but if what they say he said is "negrito" and if it is as the linguists are saying, that it is acceptable in Suarez's world... it is NOT necessarily so in the EPL / British world. If Suarez meant no harm, he should at least have picked up that what he was saying was not being taken lightly by Evra... Suarez may well be being disingenuous... IMHO if he did use that word he should be charged and he should come away with a little more than a slap on the wrist...

You not in Uruguay so you need to step up to the plate and be more culturally aware... if his English is not up to par I could see with him, but he should not use that word again. I think he already knows that.

It would be a real setback to L'pool if he were banned for longer than a few games but it would be for the greater good... if he is smart he will learn from it and become a better person ... him could hands a van Persie ball heading for the top corner for all I care but he (if he is guilty) and players who continue with this need to be taught a lesson.

My last thing is that the players in the EPL generally seem to be well-behaved on the racism count... the fans on the other hand....
              Peter R

Comment

Football Association to rule on Luis Suarez race row

When Luis Suarez joined Liverpool at the start of the year I wrote that he had the ability to shine in the Premier League but also that his fiery temperament would be put to the test.

He has given us more than I bargained for. An instant Anfield sensation, his exploits for Uruguay make Suarez beyond doubt the outstanding player in the world this year in terms of national team football.

In England, as expected, he has become the Liverpool player least likely to be popular with opposing fans but he has exceeded his own reputation for controversy with the flare-up with Patrice Evra and the charge of racism.

(continue)
                - Xavi

Comment

Working...
                X