• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell yuh bout Dis bredda Fergie

Canny Dalglish! Liverpool legend is not fazed by Sir Alex

By IAN LADYMAN
    Last updated at 10:55 PM on 14th October 2011

It is almost three years since Rafael Benitez gave one of the greatest indications of just what the lurking presence of Manchester United can do to a Liverpool manager.

His press conference rant about United's Sir Alex Ferguson in January 2009 showed us a man bending under the weight of his great rival's glorious recent history.

We're coming after you! Dalglish aims to take Liverpool back to the top

At Liverpool's Melwood training ground this week, there was no such drama. Kenny Dalglish - back slouched against a wall, hands in tracksuit pockets - looked ahead to a game with United at Anfield this lunchtime that could thrust his team back among the group who consider themselves contenders for the Barclays Premier League.

United manager Ferguson still describes these games as the biggest of his team's season. Dalglish purports to see it differently.

'If that is what he thinks then fine,' said Dalglish, deadpanning as only he can. 'That's up to Fergie. For me, I've always said the most important game is the next one.

Hoop dreams: NBA basketball star and Liverpool shareholder LeBron James meets Anfield players Luis Suarez (left) and Seb Coates and will attend Saturday's clash at home to United

'It's Manchester United this time and next week it will be Norwich City. I don't have a league table of teams I enjoy beating more than any others.'
    As always with Dalglish, it is wise to be sceptical. Manchester United and Norwich? Not many Liverpudlians would agree.

FIRST BLOOD TO LIVERPOOL

Liverpool won the warm-up to Saturday's Premier League clash as their Under 18s beat Manchester United 2-1 on Friday.

The son of former Liverpool midfielder Nick Barmby, Jack, scored United’s goal after the Merseyside club went ahead through Adam Morgan and Matty Regan.

However, if listening to Dalglish this week didn't give his training- ground audience anything in the way of his real thoughts about today's game, it did offer a small insight into his relationship with, and attitude towards, Ferguson.

The two men have known each other for 50 years, since the days when Ferguson - a young Ran-gers player - used to give schoolboy Dalglish a lift in to Glasgow after the lad had watched him and his team-mates train.
    In 1969, they played against each other in an Old Firm reserve game. Dalglish was asked to play centre half for Celtic and marked the senior pro. Ferguson claims he scored, Dalglish says he did not.

Whatever the case, their careers have thrown them together on so many occasions that perhaps only Dalglish - along with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger - can genuinely claim to be Ferguson's equal in the Premier League.

Heated affair: The Liverpool v United clash is always a lively game

Certainly that's the way he appears to see it. Most managers, for example, refer to Ferguson as 'Sir Alex'. Wenger calls him 'Ferguson'. Dalglish is alone in calling him 'Fergie'.

'Well, you just called him "Alex" didn't you?' said Dalglish when this was put to him.

'To me, it doesn't matter. It is not Fergie we are trying to beat. It wouldn't matter who was the manager.

'I am not egotistical, I am not going head to head with anybody, it is not in my nature. Our success is as a team.'

Liverpool were champions when Ferguson arrived at Old Trafford 25 years ago next month. Dalglish was manager.

During Ferguson's difficult early days, Dalglish stood up at a League Managers Association dinner and asked that his fellow Scot be given time.
    Their subsequent years as rivals in England brought them into conflict at times. Only natural. A quarter of a century on, it is Dalglish who has the job of hauling his club back up to United's level.

'He is what their fans wanted, there is no question about that,' said Ferguson yesterday. 'There has been an improvement in Liverpool.

Setting the standard: Sir Alex's dynasty at United has surpassed all others

'They have bought a lot of players and they have had backing financially. The owners have supported Kenny very well in this situation.'

Dalglish respects Ferguson's success. 'There is no point burying your head in the sand,' he said. 'They are a fantastic football club who have been hugely successful.He has made a massive contribution to their success.'

At 60, though, and back at Anfield where he feels he belongs, he will not concede an inch of ground as Liverpool's new owners celebrated a year in charge this week.

Asked, for example, about Ferguson's habit of writing to other managers when they achieve success, Dalglish was withering in response.

'It is not just Fergie who does it,' he said. 'Everybody did it when I was working before. When I came back I just carried on the habit.

'I wrote to Tony Pulis when they got to the Cup final last season and Roberto Mancini. I just don't advertise it.'

Lunchtime. First versus fifth in the Premier League. Is it a little more important than that? Of course it is

Off their perch: United won their record 19th title in May

More...

Last edited by Karl; October 14, 2011, 06:43 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X