I have a defence for Burrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a defence for Burrell

Gamma I may need some help on this one, can I depend on you to back me up here?

When we go to Zurich we will tell the panel there that the ban against Burrell was unjust and goes against the Jamaican culture.

"See Yer 'onor sar, in Jamaica we dont appreciate the informer thing, so our client Capt Burrell could nto be expected to carry news pon what happen in the meeting dere. Many informers have been beaten and even stabbed and lose dem woman in Jamaica."

So Gamma you think that can work?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

er... i think that WAS the defence.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

October 14, 2011

STATEMENT FROM CAPTAIN HORACE BURRELL

“I accept the Ethics Committee Ruling”

October 14, 2011 – Today, the FIFA Ethics Committee suspended a number of Caribbean Football Union officials as a result of a probe into events that occurred in Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago on May 11, 2011.

Even if some of the sanctions are very severe, I understand that FIFA needs to put an end to individual wrong-doing and bad practice if the evidence proves that individuals have engaged in reprehensible conduct.

As for the sanction I have suffered in the process – the FIFA Ethics Committee suspended me from football activities for a period of three months – they are harsh and painful for me personally, but I will not appeal the decision, considering the relative levity of the sanction and the cause for which it was handed down.

My initial decision not to co-operate with the foreign investigators, was an error on my part. Those of us who live the Caribbean reality will understand my reluctance, while people who are unfamiliar with our Caribbean history will take offence – which is what happened, and for which I now suffer the consequences.

A majority of the Caribbean football officials who had participated at the CFU meeting in Port of Spain had objected to the initial interviews being conducted outside of the Caribbean. This was consequent to the many statements emanating from the different sides and the lack of clarity on how the investigations were to be conducted. The outcry against that original procedure was such that the venue was eventually changed and hearings were set for the Caribbean, in Nassau, Bahamas.

Statement from Captain Horace Burrell Page 2

Looking back, I have tried to see the reasoning behind the original approach, as it was put forward to us by CONCACAF and FIFA, and despite the fact that I have now suffered the consequences for my original assessment, I maintain that it was the right thing to do to protest against the fact that CFU members were ordered territory outside of the Caribbean to be questioned and testify. I accept that I possibly decided to co-operate with the investigation too late but that was my decision at the time and I stand by it while accepting the sanction which resulted from my lack of cooperation in the initial phase of the investigation.

As a consequence of the FIFA Ethics Committee ruling, I will step down from the JFF Presidency and my CFU position for the next three-months.
      If the JFF requests that I step down from the JFF Presidency altogether, and despite the sanction which is limited to three months, instead of passing on the baton to my first deputy for the duration of my FIFA suspension, I shall abide by what the majority of the JFF decides. I have no reason to doubt that I shall be readmitted to my present FIFA functions after the three-months suspension has been served

Captain Horace Burrell
      Last edited by Karl; October 14, 2011, 07:03 PM.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
      X