• Show
Clear All

• Mosiah....whe yu seh?

Pfister furious

…says bad transfers hurting T&T football

By Kern De Freitas

Story Created: Oct 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM ECT
    Story Updated: Oct 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM ECT

"You have to help me, help our football. This is (a) crime [against humanity]."

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Otto Pfister was anything but happy after the Soca Warriors' 4-0 World Cup qualifying shutout win over Barbados at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Tuesday evening and his displeasure had nothing to do with their performance in the match.

Instead, he took issue with some local club owners' attempts to trade players and send them on trials with foreign clubs.

And within his emotional rant over the situation at the post-match press conference, the 73-year-old German made an impassioned plea to the media to assist him in stopping this trend of transfers that he claimed is not only hurting local football, but the players as well.

"If you don't help me, it's my last interview here. Because this is terrible," the veteran coach said.

According to Pfister, midfielder Clyde Leon, who hails from W Connection, and more recently has played in Colombia, has been transferred to Vietnam. Yet the player, the senior national coach said, is unhappy over the situation and does not know what his salary will be, his transfer fee, or even how much tax he is supposed to pay.

Goalkeeper Marvin Phillip was sent on trial in Vancouver, Canada ten days before T&T's World Cup qualifier away to Bermuda last Friday and the custodian was not himself during that encounter, Pfister complained.

Defender Carlyle Mitchell has also been transferred to Vancouver Whitecaps FC, while midfielder Densill Theobald of Caledonia AIA—who Pfister rates as T&T's "best midfielder"—is also on the move.

A number of T&T players have been on trial in different parts of the globe, including unattached striker Darryl Roberts, who suffered a broken arm in South Africa and returned without a contract. Previously, he had a stint in Turkey with Denizlispor.

Hayden Tinto and Connection's Hughtun Hector are also being pursued to play in India, Pfister stated.

"I am not happy. In the middle of the preparation, these club owners take the boys out like animals," an angry Pfister said. "This is humanity crime... If we cannot stop this, we have no future in football. This boy (Leon) is not (an) animal. That is a man...he has family. We have to look (after) him."

Pfister is also asking the Government to intervene in the matter and has vowed to go to FIFA to "fight this".

The issue has also affected T&T's qualifying campaign, the coach said.
    "Somebody who is doing this for money in his pocket and we do not know what is happening with our boys? It makes problems, not only for me. As a coach it's the same problem, I have to change the team."

He accused the agents brokering the transfers of making money their priority and inferred that they may not even be well recognised, or have a FIFA licence.

"You have to write this. I (do) not agree. I will fight this. (Today), Clyde Leon, W Connection sends him to Vietnam. Can you believe this? The boy is completely (mad). Can you believe this? This is gangsters (sic)."

He also pointed out the case of Shahdon Winchester, another young W Connection talent, saying the 19-year-old striker has had at least nine trials in the US and Europe.

"You kill this boy completely. (When) we have a game like this, invite your scout (to) watch this boy in the game. Let him give him a contract here..."
    This would not happen in the world's top clubs, Pfister reasoned.

The ex-Saudi Arabia coach said Trinidad and Tobago had "nice boys", singling out midfielders Hector and Kendall Jagdeosingh, who plays for Rochester Rhinos in the United Soccer League (USL), and Kevin Molino—who Pfister feels has "million dollars in his legs".

"Kendall is very nice boy, young boy, very good boy. His salary in his club is (US)$5,000. This boy can play in Europe, in any team. He can make $40-50,000.

"Why he send him to the US? You know why? Because the agent, nobody knows the agent in Europe."
    Last edited by Karl; October 13, 2011, 06:15 AM.

Originally posted by Exile View Post
    He accused the agents brokering the transfers of making money their priority and inferred that they may not even be well recognised, or have a FIFA licence.
    Clearly, this has nothing to do with me. Money is not my priority, I am well recognised and I have a FIFA license.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I was hope for a less personal account and a more edifying response. Thing is - being recognized by FIFA - that unscrupulous body may not be an endorsement....these days...

Comment

Working...
      X