Is this somethign we can take on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this somethign we can take on

this should not happen.. it needs education and standards.

Falling goal post kills six-year-old boy at school

Alesia Edwards
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011

CHESTER, St Ann — Jevaugh Bailey, a six-year-old student of the Chester Primary School, was killed yesterday afternoon when a metal football goal post fell and hit him on the head when he attempted to climb on it.
    Jevaugh was reportedly playing with friends during the lunch break on the school's playfield when tragedy struck. He was knocked unconscious and was rushed to the St Ann's Bay Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. No other child was hurt during the incident.
    The death of the six-year-old boy yesterday has brought to three the number of students to be killed by falling football goal posts this year at school. Earlier this year, two boys died in separate incidents in Kingston and Westmoreland after they, too, were playing during their break time.
    Sharma Miles, a cousin of Jevaugh Bailey, said the entire family has been traumatised by the tragic and unfortunate incident. "A little boy run and call me and said the goal post fell on my little cousin and when I reach I saw them at the school gate putting him in a vehicle; he wasn't talking and foam was coming from his mouth," Miles recalled.
    "We are shocked, he was a very brilliant boy, he was so special, very jovial and very talented," Miles said of her cousin who was enrolled at the school last month.
    Yesterday, Maxine Headlam, director for the Ministry of Education's Region III office, said the incident was very unfortunate and is deeply regretted by the ministry. "It's not a good day for us at all," Headlam told the Observer. She said the region's trauma and grief counsellors visited the Chester Primary School yesterday and would return today to continue counselling both staff and students. "I personally will be going there tomorrow (today) because I want to meet with the family," she added.
    Headlam said the incident brings into focus the need for proper recreational areas to be provided for the community. She pointed out that although the incident happened at school, the goal post belonged to community members and was taken there by residents who normally use the school's playfield.
    Member of Parliament for North West St Ann, Othneil Lawrence, who said he was close to the family, expressed regrets at the tragic manner in which Jevaugh died.
    "I am really saddened by this incident, not only because I am the member of Parliament for the area, but because I am a father and has a six-year-old too," said Lawrence, who is scheduled to meet today with boy's family to discuss assistance with the burial.
    At the same time, the MP said proper assessment must be carried out of all children's play area to ensure they are safe.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1aaXWjIe8

You Mean Something Like This?

http://www.keepergoals.com/products/...ng_labels.html
    These are warning labels.

Soccer goals, if not permanently set into the ground, can be anchored by some form of hooks hammered into the ground and looped over the side bar or back
    bar of the goal, or by sand bags.
    http://soccer.epicsports.com/cat/115/goal-safety.html

Movable soccer goals, when not in use, should be chained to a fence or a tree.

The other day, I was driving through a large park, and there were three children on top of a soccer goal. It was an older goal, with a metal frame, and chain link fence being used for the "net."

Comment

The ministry of education has washed their hands of this incident. Very disappointed in them and their minister. School yards must be places of complete safety, both from gunmen and other criminal elements and falling objects. If they can't understand that...

And for those who think I just want to get on Andy's case, you may recall (if you care to) that I called for the resignation of Portia Simpson Miller when a pack of dogs mauled to death a resident of a home for the aged some years ago. And that was not the first time something similar was happening! How do you deal with you mother being bitten to death by dogs when she was supposed to be under the care of a state-run nursing home?!?!

How do you deal with your son dying at school because of a goal post? This is about the 3rd or 4th time this was happening in the last year or so!!! And all the MP has to say is him feel it becah him 'ave a 6 year old too?! Would that have been his response had it had been his 6 year old?!?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I wonder if we know this was not a regular goal post but a scrimmage goal!?

Not that your info does not apply, Bruce. Thanks for that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It must start with the principals and teachers at the schools, who should have told the children this morning that climbing on goals is dangerous.

I must add that Keeper Goals is located here in the Milwaukee area, not too far from my house.

Comment

yes as a coach we have that problem here. too often I see kids hanging of goal post. Some of the things we do is ballast the post so they cant tip and as bruce said we label them. If we see you we tell you not to. may even kick you out the session to build awareness..

Comment

I recall going to Porus to play a game with some friend while a young teenager...during the game, one our friends (stand in keeper) decided to swing from the crossbar and the whole goal came down....it was a hiuge joke for us all and he was emabarassed for months....just realizing how lucky he was....don't know if any of you here recall the incident?

Comment

Working...
              X