• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holness to have knee surgery today

Holness to have knee surgery today

Published: Tuesday | October 4, 2011

Holness

Nodley Wright, Gleaner Writer

National Under-17 football captain Omar Holness is set for a lengthy period on the sidelines.

The Wolmer's schoolboy, who led Jamaica in their Under-17 World Cup campaign earlier this year, is set to undergo knee surgery today to repair damage done to his right knee.

"I did a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan recently and it was discovered that I tore the medial meniscus and that I also have an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and an MCL (medial cruciate ligament) sprain in the right knee," the Wolmer's schoolboy told The Gleaner, ahead of his departure for Miami, Florida, on Saturday.

"The doctor said the worst case is that I will be back playing in eight months, but some people come back at about five or six months and I am optimistic. We were recommended to him by a friend of mine who dances and did a similar surgery and she is fine now," a relaxed-sounding Holness explained.

While the true nature of his injury worry was only recently confirmed, the 17-year-old Wolmer's sixth-former said it was not new.

"I sustained this injury about two years ago when I played against St George's College in the Manning Cup and aggravated it in early August while playing for Charlton against Fulhum," said the player, who spent his summer playing in England.

Initially, the injury was very worrying for the football-mad youngster, but after speaking with a number of seasoned professionals, he has put it in perspective and is much more positive about getting back into the game.
    "At first I was worried, but talking to sports people who have done surgery has eased my worries.

"Ricardo Fuller had major surgery on his back and also had surgery on his knee, and he is still in the game. I spoke with him and that really helped me. Ricardo Gardner also had knee surgery, and he is still playing so one can return to the game and what the doctor said also helps, so basically, injuries and surgeries are a part of the road and besides, I am still young so it should not affect me too much," he reasoned.

All the positive outlook, though, cannot wipe away the disappointment of not playing in the 2011-12 Manning Cup competition.

"As far as the Manning Cup is concerned, it is unfortunate that I will be missing it. It is terrible, awful watching my teammates playing and cannot be a part of it," Holness said.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports5.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Tough!

He has good ability. I hope this is but a temporary setback.
    Wish the youngster the best results and a speedy recovery.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Tough!

He has good ability. I hope this is but a temporary setback.
      Wish the youngster the best results and a speedy recovery.
      Samuda still ah back im?
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

He has a future in this game

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
        Samuda still ah back im?
        I received and email from his father, Dukie Holiness, today. All will go well and we believe he will progress (with our prayers) and return to the game and hopefully he was not over used in the past 6 months so the inside of his capsule of the knee will not be significant and simply trim up the meniscus pad. I've watched this young man since age 10 and he can with good coaching and leadership in the days ahead be a professional and a good level.

PBANTA

Comment

Damn....those "medial meniscus" injuries are really painful. I had one of those mucus injuries myself some years ago which literally ended my playing career. Oh...I think I shared it with you guys already. Really sad.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Brain injury, boss?
            "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

grey matter loss .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Does this affect his prospects as future Prime Minister?

Comment

Working...
                X