Reggae Boyz need creative spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae Boyz need creative spark

Andy Williams knows what ails the Reggae Boyz, currently stuck in a four-game losing skid.

"I think Jamaica's national team lacks a creative midfielder," declared Williams, who played that role often in more than 90 internationals for the Boyz and follows the seniors' progress "absolutely, every game."

Without imaginative, playmaking flair and the consistent threat to score from the centre of the park, he explained, a promising core of attackers, including Omar Cummings, Ryan Johnson, Ricardo Fuller, Luton Shelton and Dane Richards, are in danger of becoming wasted talent during Jamaica's bid for a place at football's 2014 World Cup.

"They're all top-quality forwards," said Williams, who plays for United States Major League Soccer (MLS) club Real Salt Lake (RSL).

"If you can't feed those guys (the ball), you know, you're not going to score many goals. They're just gonna run up and down all day."

Yet, despite owning the precise tools to help fix Jamaica's problems, and in possibly the best form of his career, the skilful 34-year-old has ruled himself out.

"(Jamaica Football Federation representatives) always asked me about the national team and I just tell them right away, 'nah, I'm finished'," said Williams, currently focused on RSL's run to the 2011 MLS title, which the club won in 2009.

He believes Jamaica's younger players deserve opportunities.

"They're the ones who need to establish their career," Williams said.

medical condition

The medical condition of his wife, Marcia, who is recovering from cancer, has also factored into his decision. Williams worries about her care whenever football takes him away from home in Utah. This year, she was hospitalised for weeks. Williams is always on high alert.

"I have to be ready to take a flight every time," he said.

Yet, Williams believes Jamaica's head coach Theodore Whitmore has a real option to the midfield playmaker puzzle.

"The most promising player I think for that role is Keammar Daley," said the man nicknamed 'Bomber'. "He seems to have the tools."

Daley, named in Jamaica's squad for the October 11 international against Honduras, impressed at the 2011 Gold Cup and signed with Preston North End in England. Williams pins his development - and possibly Jamaica's hopes - on playing time.

"Hopefully (Daley) can get some quality minutes, and not just in the reserves," he said. "It will help the national team."

The Boyz need a boost. Williams watched Jamaica set off on a promising Gold Cup, before losing to US in the quarter-final, then crash to China, Ecuador and Colombia. He's convinced he could contribute to a turnaround.

"I do think I could help," said Williams, who insisted he will only reconsider Jamaica's invitations with Marcia's blessings.

Observers agree. Jamaican-born Robin Fraser, who coaches Chivas USA in MLS, believes Williams, who played in World Cup 1998, is in his prime.

"He is playing the best ball he's ever played," Fraser said earlier this year.

According to RSL coach Jason Kreis, if employed correctly Williams, who has made over 300 appearances for six clubs in an MLS career that began in 1998, would be an asset for Jamaica.

"I think every national team needs somebody with his type of experience," said Kreis.

"He's somebody to be there in the most critical matches; maybe not in every single match. You also need somebody like that to help with the younger players.

"So, I definitely feel like Andy Williams should be considered for international duties still."
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Hmm.... I wonder...always liked him as a player although sometime question his work-rate but when he dazzles, he does so with panache and when he kicks - it's a bomb!

Comment

with all due respect...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

.....maestro?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Lol.....the obvious that tappa cant see,if tappa cant fix that he has to go,tappa cost us a gold cup @ least semifinal.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Tell dem sah, Dada ah di bes wi seen inna dat deh position fi years. Him certainly hah di tools. An mi ah guh say it again, he will become one ah di bes midfieldah or di bes wi evah did si inna di colours. Him show ah likkle glimpse ah it inna di Gold Cup and dere is some much more to come. Mek wi all sit an watch him grow, kah him will surprise many wid him exploits. Dere will be many detractors none di less, but him will win dem ovah eventually.

Comment

..di best that tappa put on di bench in a crucial game....out coached

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Dadda needs to be more efficient in the centre of the park.. gives away the ball too much.

Comment

Outcoached dat gaan long time mannnn, forwod wi ah deal wid

Comment

Mek sure om nuh tun back.

Comment

Yuh hoping and praying eh, "tan an si nuh poil nuh dance ah interferance mash e up". Nuh worry yuhself

Comment

Some info pan di yout, it coming togedah nicely..

North End winger Keammar Daley is relishing the prospect of making his second competitive appearance for the Club on Tuesday night against Morecambe in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Speaking to PNE.Com ahead of the tie Daley said: "I am looking forward to starting and hopefully the team is as good as possible and we can get a few goals and go on to become the winners at the end of the game."

The 23-year old has fond memories of the Globe Arena after making his PNE debut there as a trialist in a pre-season friendly earlier this year, scoring in the process, and is hoping for more of the same this time around: "That was my first game for PNE and I'd love to do it again and hopefully everything goes well."

Daley is not taking that 3-0 success for granted though and insists his team mates and himself are ready for the challenge ahead.

"From then to now maybe they have made a few changes but whatever happens tomorrow we are going there to win the game so no matter which 11 they put out or which 11 we put out we are just going out to work hard as a team.

"We lost the last league game but that is behind us now and we are looking forward to this upcoming game and that is the next game so that's the most important one," he added.

After earning rave reviews from reserve team manager David Unsworth, following North End's 2-1 victory over Tranmere Reserves last week - a match in which Daley bagged both goals, the Jamaican is hoping that he can start to push towards more first team action but knows that competition for places is fierce at present.

"Every player wants to play but there is a lot of rotation so I'm just being patient and remaining in a positive mind and whenever I get my chance I will do my best and only my best is good enough. "

One of Daley's goals from the match against Tranmere - a sublime free kick, may have surprised a few, but the player, signed in the summer from Jamaican club Tivoli Gardens insists it is nothing new to him and is hoping, that will be the first of many for his new club: "I have scored a lot back in Jamaica and it is nothing new to me."

With the final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy being played at the national stadium, Daley believes that should be incentive alone for any player participating in the competition: "That's a players dream in England to play at Wembley.

"Wembley is a great stadium and a lot of great players have played there and as a player I would love to play there, as a Jamaican and to help the team as best as possible."

Tuesday is the start of a big couple of weeks for Daley as he heads off to team up with Jamaica for an international friendly match against Honduras next week and he can't wait to catch up with the Reggae Boyz, with the full backing of manager Phil Brown.

"It has been a while since I have played back with them, since last summer in the Gold Cup so I'm looking forward to it.

"The manager spoke to me about going there and the main thing is to get some game fitness and this is a good opportunity to get some games under my belt again, to be in the right frame of mind at a high level so I'm looking forward to it."

Dis yute is sounding like the model professional and wil do himself and PNE and Jamaica proud, once he's fully match fit and in the groove.

Comment

An fi good measure, some braatah..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o99-m...eature=related
                          jus keep it jiggy..

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                            North End winger Keammar Daley is relishing the prospect of making his second competitive appearance for the Club on Tuesday night against Morecambe in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Speaking to PNE.Com ahead of the tie Daley said: "I am looking forward to starting and hopefully the team is as good as possible and we can get a few goals and go on to become the winners at the end of the game."

The 23-year old has fond memories of the Globe Arena after making his PNE debut there as a trialist in a pre-season friendly earlier this year, scoring in the process, and is hoping for more of the same this time around: "That was my first game for PNE and I'd love to do it again and hopefully everything goes well."

Daley is not taking that 3-0 success for granted though and insists his team mates and himself are ready for the challenge ahead.

"From then to now maybe they have made a few changes but whatever happens tomorrow we are going there to win the game so no matter which 11 they put out or which 11 we put out we are just going out to work hard as a team.

"We lost the last league game but that is behind us now and we are looking forward to this upcoming game and that is the next game so that's the most important one," he added.

After earning rave reviews from reserve team manager David Unsworth, following North End's 2-1 victory over Tranmere Reserves last week - a match in which Daley bagged both goals, the Jamaican is hoping that he can start to push towards more first team action but knows that competition for places is fierce at present.

"Every player wants to play but there is a lot of rotation so I'm just being patient and remaining in a positive mind and whenever I get my chance I will do my best and only my best is good enough. "

One of Daley's goals from the match against Tranmere - a sublime free kick, may have surprised a few, but the player, signed in the summer from Jamaican club Tivoli Gardens insists it is nothing new to him and is hoping, that will be the first of many for his new club: "I have scored a lot back in Jamaica and it is nothing new to me."

With the final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy being played at the national stadium, Daley believes that should be incentive alone for any player participating in the competition: "That's a players dream in England to play at Wembley.

"Wembley is a great stadium and a lot of great players have played there and as a player I would love to play there, as a Jamaican and to help the team as best as possible."

Tuesday is the start of a big couple of weeks for Daley as he heads off to team up with Jamaica for an international friendly match against Honduras next week and he can't wait to catch up with the Reggae Boyz, with the full backing of manager Phil Brown.

"It has been a while since I have played back with them, since last summer in the Gold Cup so I'm looking forward to it.

"The manager spoke to me about going there and the main thing is to get some game fitness and this is a good opportunity to get some games under my belt again, to be in the right frame of mind at a high level so I'm looking forward to it."

Dis yute is sounding like the model professional and wil do himself and PNE and Jamaica proud, once he's fully match fit and in the groove.
                            My Yout there is some good reports coming out of Preston, the word is that it's just a matter of time before Phil Brown unleash Keammar in the League!!

Comment

Yes sah, ah know yuh sight him, composure pan ball fi dayzzz, ah nevah si nutten like dis likkle yout mi ah tell yuh. Special tings are in store jus wait, ah keeping dem up to date pan yah. Dis yout yah very very special.

Comment

Working...
                              X