Career or country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career or country?

It think its career now and that will help the country laterin terms of revenue and probably experience (I dont know anything Vietmam.)

Lets hear what my favourite sport writer from the Jamaica observer and Mo bay has to say about this one.

Stevens opts out

Arnett striker to go on Vietnam trials, rejects Boyz call-up
    Livingston Scott
    Monday, October 03, 2011

NEW Arnett Gardens' sensation, striker Errol Stevens, was due to leave the island at 6:00 this morning for a two-week trial stint in the Asian country of Vietnam, thus passing up on the opportunity for his second cap for Jamaica.

The former Harbour View and Portmore United player, who recently received his first senior national team cap against Colombia in Fort Lauderdale, expressed disappointment at not being able to accept the invitation of national senior team coach Theodore Whitmore for a training camp starting Wednesday in preparation for a friendly match against Honduras on October 11 in that country.

Arnett Gardens’ Errol Stevens (right) in a keen tussle with Boys’ Town’s Michael Campbell during their NPL match at the Tony Spaulding Complex yesterday. Boys’ Town won 2-1. (Photo: Jermaine Barnaby)

Stevens said it's not easy to be faced with such a dilemma, but believes this is a step in the right direction for his fledgling professional career.

"I get a trial in Vietnam, so really and truly it's not about not taking up the (national team) offer. I am disappointed in myself because I really wanted to represent the country again," he said after his local team's 1-2 loss to Boys' Town in the National Premier League yesterday.

The period of his trial stint in the south-east Asian country clashes with the schedule of the Reggae Boyz game, which complicated the situation for the player.

"Unfortunately the trial is in the same period as the Jamaica game, so I will just have to miss this one... but I sent a letter to the federation (explaining the reason for not to joining the team), so hopefully I will get another chance after the trial," said Stevens.

The 21-year-old has experience playing overseas, following a season in Russia.

Steven is now looking forward to the new challenge.

"It's a different country, so you will have to expect a different style of play, but I will just have to adjust as fast as I can when I go there and see for myself," he said.

The flamboyant striker, who will be trying out with a number of clubs during his stint in the country, said he is hoping that his performances are good enough to get him a deal.

"If my performance is good, one of them (clubs) could offer me a contract," he stated.

Stevens is Arnett Gardens' leading scorer so far this season with three goals from four games.

Harbour View's Kavin Bryan and Andre Fagan and Tivoli Gardens' Devon Hodges have had stints playing in Vietnam's top division.

Meanwhile, JFF general secretary Horace Reid, said "it's always going to be a delicate balancing act for players, clubs and the JFF when personal opportunities or circumstances emerge for our players."

"It is in this vein that the JFF technical staff has the task to evaluate each case on merit. This is so in particular for FIFA match date obligations. The JFF wants the best for our players and recognise the need for our players to advance their career and economic agenda," he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1ZkvtmuOI
    Last edited by Karl; October 3, 2011, 09:50 PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

He cant make the team when the big boys come so him better run go to Vietnam and make sure him pay Mosiah him 10%
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

yuh can chat eeh?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Stevens good at counting?

Comment

LOL! What you nuh get none of the 10%...Mo holding out on you?
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

this is not even a club vs country controversy. The man make himself availabe for future date. He will miss one game because he is on trial, him nuh say him nah play again. Look how much game Dada missed while looking after his contract.

This is a mountain out of a mole hill. Go and mek some money youth, you not nuh spring chicken, you have a few more years left.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
              X