• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swords crossed - J'cans Burrell, James to run for CFU presid

Swords crossed - J'cans Burrell, James to run for CFU president
    BY SANJAY MYERS Observer staff reporter myerss@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, September 24, 2011

Tweet

Former Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Tony James has officially announced his intention to challenge for the top spot at the November 20 Caribbean Football Union (CFU) elections.
    His decision, after being endorsed by the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Turks & Caicos Islands, means that he will go up against current JFF boss Captain Horace Burrell, among other CFU nominees at the elections, which are slated to take place in Montego Bay, Jamaica, on November 20.

James, who is a longstanding member of the FIFA Youth Committee, told the Observer yesterday that his focus is to bring back a "sense of unity" within the CFU, which has been rocked by bribery allegations and other charges of ethical malpractices.
    "For sure, I'll be running at the elections. I spoke to the Captain (on Thursday) and out of that we agreed to disagree on certain things. I assured him that as far as two Jamaicans being in the race that we will run a class campaign. I want to bring back a sense of unity (and) a sense of re-organisation. We need to make sure that, as much as we can, everyone can feel a part of the union. The Caribbean is not just Jamaica," said the Manchester-based businessman.
    Speaking to the media on Thursday during the final day the FIFA Women's Football Development Symposium held at Sabina Park, Burrell, who is currently acting president of CFU, declared his resolve to contest the elections.
    "I am vying for office and at this point in time and I will continue to speak to colleagues around the region and hopefully by the 21st (November) I will have more to say," he said.
    James threw darts at the leadership of football in Jamaica and Trinidad.
    "Our campaign recognises that there is a need for change in leadership style. Right now that style is best manifested in our two flagships in the Caribbean — Trinidad and Jamaica. People have to understand that it has to be changed.
    "I am speaking about the way they handle their federations, the way they handle elections, the way they handle transparency and the way they handle embracing those who don't share their views. We have to be big enough in politics to agree to disagree and we have to move forward in unity," said James, who served as JFF president between 1985 and 1992.
    In recent months, the world football governing body has been thrown into a tailspin following bribery allegations kick-started by FIFA Committee member and CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer, against then FIFA vice-president and CONCACAF head honcho Austin 'Jack' Warner and ousted Asian Football Confederation president Mohamed bin Hammam.
    After investigations both have been banned by FIFA's ethics committee.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

On the surface this seems strange that James would be going up against the 'might' of Burrell but on closer inspection it may seems James might be the one with the upper hand.

Burrell could only say he was nominated by "Jamaica and many other Caribbean countries" while on tv the other night but he never named one other country.

Here we see James naming other countries that have backed his candidacy.

It is hypocritical that FIFA has banned so many good football people when they themselves are guilty of the same things they have banned the people for, for example they either looked the other way or was complicit in CONCACAF and CFU voting en bloc on FIFA matters and gave Warner a free hand to do what ever he could to ensure the votes went the way they wanted it to go but when they senses the votes would go the other way, they jumped in and broke up that challenge.

Now given Burrell's still close ties with Warner, I cant see FIFA sitting back and allowing him to become the CFU president hence FIFA/CONCACAF might be in the back ground pulling the strings and trying to ensure James gets the job.

The way i see it a vote for Burrell is a vote for Warner and FIFA wont allow that.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

...but will the other Caribbean countries vote Burrell as those backing James are considered 'sell outs'?

The elephant in the room is FIFA. They could ban Burrell and leave James as sole candidate. So...it may be FIFA is waiting to see the lay of the land...James and Burrell as only candidates and thus at the last minute suspend or ban Burrell ensuring James wins. Hey that is modus operandi
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Not sure they are the only candidates Karl, I might have heard or read elsewhere there are at least two others.

On what grounds could FIFA suspend Burrell now?
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Karl, explain exactly why Burrel should be BANNED? You are no different from the FIFA execs.

Comment

Exile, to defend Karl, I dont think he said FIFA should ban Burrell, I think he was trying to say that if FIFA really did not not want him to contest the elections, they could trump up some charge and ban him
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
              Karl, explain exactly why Burrel should be BANNED? You are no different from the FIFA execs.
              *Reading is overrated!

Cho Exile, man...where did you see me saying Burrell should be suspended or banned?

I thought you all knew that I am a "Jack" Warner and Burrell man.
              What I asked us to consider was the past actions of FIFA...and I am not only speaking of Blatter's FIFA.

Let me spell it out (although in past posts I have already done so) - FIFA makes up the rules as FIFA wishes. FIFA can without a shread of evidence arrive at any decision it wishes at its Ethics and Disiplinary Committees and enforce same.

So if Blatter wishes to kick out Burrell it is a done deal. If he wishes Burrell to stay that also would be a done deal.

...I went a wee bit further and suggested we 'fool around' with thinking on why FIFA may decide Burrell is expendable.

Look it may very well be (said this in a post some long past days) that FIFA/Blatter owes Blazer for his easy re-election. Might not Blatter be thinking on strengthening Blazer's position in CONCACAF by removing Burrell - a quid pro quo act to help 'friend' Blazer?

I do not think it makes sense as anyway I look at it, it is in the CFU's interest to give Blazer his walking papers ASAP. What did I say in another post made long ago? - Blazer is 'dead man walking'?! ...if Blatter/FIFA goes out on a limb i.e. set up Burrell and remove him, Blatter shows his hand as being anti-CFU and may solidify the very thing he does a CFU bloc that is anti-Blatter.

Then there is - In my mind the CFU administration, matters not the administrators, interest is best served by kicking Blazer out.

We (in the CFU) must stick together. "Nothing happened for us" until the arrival of "Jack" and our bonding behind him. It would be a terrible pity if we went back to the days of Stanley Rous and the pre-Havelange days. It was not until the arrival of Havelange that there were the introduction of programmes that led the way to advances (on to the current ones) in the so-called "third world football nations" and a sharing of the FIFA's influence and wealth that has an opening of the door and put us on the fast track to 'first world (football) status.

It is fact that Burrell was (and is) close to "Jack". As Tony James opined, Burrell has been observing "Jack's" methods at close quarters. What James' words have also shown - unintended...I think? - is, Burrell being the man to keep the CFU voting as bloc.

*Hope you realise I am just pulling your legs.
              Last edited by Karl; September 25, 2011, 12:57 PM.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                Exile, to defend Karl, I dont think he said FIFA should ban Burrell, I think he was trying to say that if FIFA really did not not want him to contest the elections, they could trump up some charge and ban him
                Tenk yuh, sah!

Comment

Thanks. Speed reading.

Comment

Sorry Karl..thought you said 'should' instead of 'could' hence my comment. A bit hasty. This whole FIFA cannot be fixed in years...too much money involved...too much corruption....

Comment

...also...Jack still in the mix...those who think otherwise are asleep.

Comment

Got yuh, boss.

From our CFU vantage point, all we need is a fair share of the 'goodies'! I hope our brothers in the CFU realise that putting forward a united front is the way to go...the only way to go.

Comment

You could very well be on point...

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            ...but will the other Caribbean countries vote Burrell as those backing James are considered 'sell outs'?

The elephant in the room is FIFA. They could ban Burrell and leave James as sole candidate. So...it may be FIFA is waiting to see the lay of the land...James and Burrell as only candidates and thus at the last minute suspend or ban Burrell ensuring James wins. Hey that is modus operandi
                            You never know Karl. You could very right. Time will tell. I have known Tony for many years and he does not (as he said) go for anything that he does not expect to be a success. Maybe he'll be the next JFF president if he is banned from football. All possible now that Colin Klass has unfortunately put out of footie for 26 months on twisting the rules and trying to start with him. I bet others to follow as FIFA will not stop from the works that Mr. Warner showed himself to be for years. Whatever the situation all will be the best for Jamaica and in 2014/15 changes will take place for the beetter of football.

Comment

Well Paul, we will just have to wait to see which way the wind blows...

Comment

Working...
                              X