RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swords crossed - J'cans Burrell, James to run for CFU...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swords crossed - J'cans Burrell, James to run for CFU...

Swords crossed - J'cans Burrell, James to run for CFU president

BY SANJAY MYERS Observer staff reporter myerss@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, September 24, 2011

Former Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Tony James has officially announced his intention to challenge for the top spot at the November 20 Caribbean Football Union (CFU) elections.

His decision, after being endorsed by the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Turks & Caicos Islands, means that he will go up against current JFF boss Captain Horace Burrell, among other CFU nominees at the elections, which are slated to take place in Montego Bay, Jamaica, on November 20.

JAMES... our campaign recognises that there is a need for change in leadership style

BURRELL... hopefully by the 21st (November) I will have more to say

James, who is a longstanding member of the FIFA Youth Committee, told the Observer yesterday that his focus is to bring back a "sense of unity" within the CFU, which has been rocked by bribery allegations and other charges of ethical malpractices.

"For sure, I'll be running at the elections. I spoke to the Captain (on Thursday) and out of that we agreed to disagree on certain things. I assured him that as far as two Jamaicans being in the race that we will run a class campaign. I want to bring back a sense of unity (and) a sense of re-organisation. We need to make sure that, as much as we can, everyone can feel a part of the union. The Caribbean is not just Jamaica," said the Manchester-based businessman.

Speaking to the media on Thursday during the final day the FIFA Women's Football Development Symposium held at Sabina Park, Burrell, who is currently acting president of CFU, declared his resolve to contest the elections.

"I am vying for office and at this point in time and I will continue to speak to colleagues around the region and hopefully by the 21st (November) I will have more to say," he said.

James threw darts at the leadership of football in Jamaica and Trinidad.
    "Our campaign recognises that there is a need for change in leadership style. Right now that style is best manifested in our two flagships in the Caribbean — Trinidad and Jamaica. People have to understand that it has to be changed.

"I am speaking about the way they handle their federations, the way they handle elections, the way they handle transparency and the way they handle embracing those who don't share their views. We have to be big enough in politics to agree to disagree and we have to move forward in unity," said James, who served as JFF president between 1985 and 1992.

In recent months, the world football governing body has been thrown into a tailspin following bribery allegations kick-started by FIFA Committee member and CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer, against then FIFA vice-president and CONCACAF head honcho Austin 'Jack' Warner and ousted Asian Football Confederation president Mohamed bin Hammam.

After investigations both have been banned by FIFA's ethics committee.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1Ysx3ewnQ
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X