X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King says City move gateway to Europe

King says City move gateway to Europe

Friday, September 16, 2011

JAMAICAN international and Birmingham City striker Marlon King says the lure of playing in Europe prompted his move to the club three months ago.

Hauled over the coals by Coventry City who accused him of betrayal, the 31-year-old King told Sky Sports yesterday: "I had a few offers in the summer, but Birmingham is a big club. When the opportunity came up I wanted to sign for the Blues."

KING... scored for Birmingham City against Sporting Braga in Europa League yesterday.

King signed a three-year contract with the club on June 10 after a year with Coventry, who gave him a chance to resume his football career following his release from prison for sexual assault and occasioning bodily harm on a woman in a night club.

"The lure of Europe played a big part in it and I know we're going to be in the mix for promotion at the end of the season. That was important to me as well," he added.

King joined Coventry on September 20 last year, scoring 13 goals from 29 appearances. He turned down a new offer from Coventry in favour of the move to St Andrew's.

The transfer was formally completed on July 1, but a knee ligament injury in pre-season made him unable to play until last Sunday when he was on the pitch in the last 30 minutes in a 3-0 home defeat to Millwall.

"I am no spring chicken. These opportunities don't come up every day and every player will tell you that he wants to play in the top competitions -- Europe is one of them," King pointed out.

King featured in yesterday's Europa League game against Sporting Braga of Portugal at St Andrew's, scoring from inside the area in the 71st minute for Birmingham to trail 2-1. Chris Burke provided the assist.

Sporting Bragga eventually won, 3-1, with a brace from Helder Barbosa and the other from Rodrigo Jose Lima dos Santos.

Coventry chairman Ken Dulieu fumed when King took up Birmingham's offer, noting that they had reached a verbal agreement with King and his advisor.

"Verbally, everything was settled and agreed and now we find out that a deal has been done with Birmingham," he explained in the summer.
    "The club and our supporters have fully backed Marlon on his return to the game and I think we deserve better than this."

King made 19 appearances for Jamaica between 2004-2009, scoring 12 goals.

He was captain of the national team on March 26, 2008 at the National Stadium in Kingston where he and Tyrone Marshall scored in a 2-2 draw against Trinidad & Tobago in a friendly international.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1Y8clwYmm
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

King back from injury 2 games 2 goals. As he got any chance of running out for the Reggae Boyz again?

Comment

Him kina unruly still, but ah hope suh, one ting him surely hab di goods

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
        Him kina unruly still, but ah hope suh, one ting him surely hab di goods
        One thing is for certain,they wont let him in the USA with that deh criminal record!!

Comment

If the US refuses to give him a visa, we should demand that FIFA move the match to another country! I know their rules, but that would be unacceptable.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
          X