• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The English Bias in Liverpool.

Reds detail Meireles move
    27Comments and replies
    13 September 2011-PA Sport

Club swap ... Meireles made a hasty exit from the Reds to the Blues (Getty)
    Director of football Damien Comolli insists Liverpool did not want to sell Raul Meireles but had little choice after he handed in a transfer request and told the club he wanted to leave.
    Terry admits Meireles surpriseMeireles defends Chelsea moveMeireles explains Liverpool exit
    Meireles joined Premier League rival Chelsea in the final minutes of the transfer deadline day last month in a reported £12million ($A18.4 million) move, a switch that angered many Reds supporters.

The 28-year-old Portugal international last week insisted he never wanted to leave Liverpool but admitted he jumped at the chance to go to Stamford Bridge when it became clear he would be sold.

Speaking at a press conferenc, Meireles then accused Liverpool of a broken promise and claimed he was forced to submit a transfer request once the club had decided to sell him to Chelsea.

Putting across Liverpool's side, Comolli said on the club's official website in response to questions sent in by supporters: "I think Raul said it himself with what I've seen recently in the press. Basically, he came to see me and said 'I want to leave, I want to play for another club'.

"Our intention was not to sell him but we were put in a corner a little bit when he put in a transfer request and said he wanted to go and that he didn't want to play for Liverpool anymore.

"I think the owners and Kenny (Dalglish) have said it, and we all have the same view. When someone doesn't want to be here it's difficult to say 'you are going to stay'.

"We've been through that process in January with Fernando Torres and this felt like the same situation. We've done it, we think it was the right thing to do for the club, because it's very, very difficult to have somebody here who doesn't want to be here.

"The job of the manager in the Premier League is already difficult having to manage 25 players and only having 11 to start on a match day, so you have to deal with all the others.

"On top of that if you have someone who is adamant they don't want to be here and wants to play for someone else, we took the view it's better if he goes and we get the best possible deal for the club. In the end I think we did well."

Meireles was not the only player to leave Anfield, with Alberto Aquilani returning to Italy after agreeing a loan move with AC Milan for the rest of the campaign, while Joe Cole moved on a season-long loan to Lille.

Asked why Aquilani was allowed to go after impressing in pre-season, Comolli said: "With him it was more a question of opportunities to play.

"He's obviously a big player, he's got a very good resume and he's a very good player. But Kenny and the coaching staff felt he would play in a certain position.

"As I told Alberto during the summer, unfortunately in that position is someone called Steven Gerrard and it would have been difficult for Alberto to play."

Comolli also dismissed reports that Liverpool now has first refusal on highly-rated Lille star Eden Hazard as part of the Cole deal.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Liverpool investigating player illuminati comment

Liverpool striker Nathan Eccleston was under investigation by the English Premier League club Wednesday after claiming the September 11 attacks were not the work of terrorists.

The reserve team player caused outrage after claiming the deadly attacks in the US were "an accident" and that he believed a group called the "Illuminati" were responsible.

TUESDAY'S ACTION
    Check out all the images from the opening day of UEFA Champions League group stage.

The 20-year-old, who has made just nine appearances for the Anfield giant, made the posting on his Twitter account on the 10th anniversary of the atrocity.

"I aint going to say attack don't let the media make u believe that was terrorist that did it. #O.T.I.S."

OTIS reportedly stands for Only The Illuminati Succeed.

The Illuminati is a supposed shadowy organization that some conspiracy theorists believe controls world affairs through governments and corporations. It is claimed to be the modern-day version of the Bavarian Illuminati secret society, a movement formed in the 1700s.

A Liverpool spokesman said, "The club takes this matter extremely seriously and senior club officials have informed Nathan Eccleston that we are undertaking an investigation into the circumstances surrounding these postings and will decide on an appropriate course of action."

"Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      "As I told Alberto during the summer, unfortunately in that position is someone called Steven Gerrard and it would have been difficult for Alberto to play."
      Gerrard my backfoot. It's Adam who holds the position, the problem is that KK brought in Adam, and so, Aquaman haffi hug up bench. So far, I am more disappointed in KK than anything else, his player selection is not up to snuff - too many average Prem midfielders and then they sell Mierles and lend out Aquaman, doesn't make sense.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Cant see how a midtable man and a injury prone fading superstar can start over a C.L Balla ?

Alberto Aquilani May Have Finally Found a Home with AC Milan

By Matthew Snyder
        (Contributor)
        on September 13, 2011

1,067 reads

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext

Aquilani has long possessed a flair for the spectacular.
        Claudio Villa/Getty Images

Three years ago, it was a player leaving Italian powerhouse AC Milan on a season-long loan who reinvigorated his sputtering career in the comfortable confines of his native country.
        Current AC Milan midfielder Alberto Aquilani, on loan from Liverpool, has a similar story underlining his own season-long move.
        Yoann Gourcuff earned rave reviews for his double-winning displays of dominance with Girondins de Bordeaux in 2008-09.
        He had never truly fit in with AC Milan, the club he'd moved to as a teen from Rennes, and would never again grace the San Siro pitch after that season, with Bordeaux mustering the €15 million fee necessary to secure his contract after the loan had expired.
        Similarly, after moving from AS Roma to Liverpool before the 2009-10 season, Aquilani never truly found his feet in England.
        Despite earning widespread praise for his attacking intent during Liverpool's preseason tour this past summer, he looks certain to have spent his last days at Anfield.
        Liverpool skipper Kenny Dalglish seemed genuinely sorry to see Aquilani go, but there simply was not enough room for the man they call Il Principo (The Prince) after the myriad of offseason signings made by the club.
        It's always a shame when a player never really gets a fair shake, but Aquilani now has an opportunity to enjoy the last years of his footballing prime closer to his family, which had never moved from Italy even when Aquilani was plying his professional trade across the English Channel.
        At 27, he has a glorious opportunity to resuscitate a stalled career.
        His comeback is already begun.
        Aquilani has enjoyed call-ups to the Italian national team recently, and when all is said and done, the Italian style of play may prove to suit him best.
        It should, after all, seeing as how he grew up playing it.
        He has been immediately inserted into the Rossoneri starting XI, which is looking to offset the offseason loss of long-time playmaking ingenieur Andrea Pirlo to Juventus.
        Though they differ somewhat in playing style, many aspects of the two players' games overlap.
        Aquilani is coolly composed when on the ball in his central midfield role, and is an excellent distributor.
        He does not go for goal at the expense of building play, but when he chooses to let fly from a distance, his shots are well-struck with venomous intent.
        After playing 68 minutes in Milan's Serie A opener Friday against Lazio, he should be included in the fold for Tuesday's Champions League showdown against Barcelona.
        He possesses the type of ingenuity necessary to succeed against Barcelona's relentless pressing game.
        How he holds up against Europe's best will go a long way toward fostering his current personal reclamation project.

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The English bias is the least of Liverpool's problems right now.

44-lub?!!?!?

YNWA & SOS!!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...more like SOBS... no, not that expletive, this one... Save Our Back Sides!
            Peter R

Comment

Working...
            X