X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'shame'

'SHAME'

Published: Wednesday | September 7, 2011

Colombia's Falcao Garcia (9), battles Jamaica's Rodolph Austin (17) with compatriot Carlos Sanchez, during their soccer friendly in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, last night. - AP

Whitmore

• Reggae Boyz still without land promised after '98 World Cup qualification

Gordon Williams, Gleaner Writer
    SUNRISE, Florida, United States:

Key members of Jamaica's senior national football team, which qualified for the 1998 World Cup, are frustrated and disappointed because they have not received land promised to them by the government 14 years ago as reward for the country's historic achievement.

According to national coach Theodore Whitmore, who was among the stars of the Reggae Boyz, and scored two goals against Japan at the World Cup in France, the players - including him, Warren Barrett, Hector Wright, Paul 'Tegat' Davis and the family of the late Stephen 'Shorty' Malcolm, "feel let down" because Jamaica has failed to deliver plots of government land owed to them.

"It's very, very disappointing," Whitmore said yesterday from the Jamaica team hotel here, hours before the Boyz tackled Colombia in an international friendly in nearby Fort Lauderdale, "and it's a shame".

Based on preliminary, but unconfirmed checks yesterday, it appears the five players, who were all based in Montego Bay during Jamaica's 'Road To France' campaign, are possibly the only ones yet to receive land. Even the driver of the Boyz' team bus has reportedly received his plot, but nothing so far for those from the west.

"I haven't gotten mine as yet and I can talk for the other Montegonians, like Steve Malcolm, who is deceased, Warren Barrett, Paul 'Tegat' Davis (and Hector Wright), we haven't received none," Whitmore said.

When asked if all the others involved in the campaign had received land, Whitmore replied: "I should think so. I can talk for the people in the west ... haven't received any."

JFF decision
    According to Whitmore, the decision over who got land was made by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) in conjunction with the then national coaching staff. The sites to choose from were restricted to state property.
    "They said once it (the land) was government-owned you could go and select," he said, "anywhere in Jamaica".

The value of each plot of land awarded, Whitmore added, could be valued "at a figure of something probably around J$500,000 at the time".

Whitmore said "they showed us piece" of land in Barrett Hall, Montego Bay, "but it's just not reaching anywhere". The selected lots were government-owned property at the time, he added.

"All the names I've called went there," Whitmore explained, "and then from that, nothing ... 1998 to this day, nothing."

While the promise of land was made under the previous Jamaica Government controlled by the People's National Party (PNP), and several enquires were made to that government for the land, Whitmore said he has also reached out to the current Jamaica Labour Party (JLP)-controlled government as well, with no success so far.

The disappointment over successive governments' failure to deliver on their promise has been huge, said Whitmore, but he has vowed to continue to serve Jamaica's football.

"I feel let down, man," he said. "I feel let down. But that won't stop me from what I have to do. Because at the end of the day I know I have done this with all my heart and will continue."

Whitmore declined to discuss specifics of the proposed land deal but confirmed he is awaiting response from Minister of Sports Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, who had travelled to the recently concluded IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea and could not be contacted for comment yesterday morning.

"It's in a process now," he said. "As I said before, I've spoken to the minister and she has advised that when she is back from Daegu. So I'm waiting to speak to the minister before I say anything."

Barrett was captain and goalkeeper of Jamaica's World Cup squad. He started two games in France. 'Shorty' Malcolm, who was killed in a car crash in Jamaica in January 2001, also played at the World Cup. Davis, who now coaches Arnett Gardens in the Digicel Premier League, and Wright, were key members of Jamaica's team for years, and were involved in the qualifying campaign, but were not selected for the World Cup finals.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports1.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

where is george and shatta.. how comes the town man dem get land and the mobay man dem nuh get nutten..

Comment

Can I suggest maybe they didnt go to good schools?Or wrong party affiliation ?Talk to the captain too hard ? Or maybe dem juss come from country, maybe all of the above.

Real shame , jamaican way of doing things.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

So treu X. Even though it is the 21st century Jamaica remains as backward as ever when it comes to division into rural and urban. Suppose Kingston and St. Andrew Corp was a real city?. They would probably want to break away from our brothers and sisters from the rural parishes.

Comment

Sounds like a case for Judge Judy to settle.
          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
          - Xavi

Comment

What is a real SHAME is the fact that every qual we going through the same rasta ********** bull. How many people on here don't already know that we need a stronger team than the Rasta ********** DC and Gold Cup squad. Why the rasta don't the JFF do their rasta ********** job and search and scout for more quality? Dem head fi roll if we no go a Brasil.

Comment

Working...
            X