• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seething 'Tappa' wants more focus

Seething 'Tappa' wants more focus

HOWARD WALKER with the REGGAE BOYZ IN QUITO, ECUADOR

Sunday, September 04, 2011

THE losing display by the Reggae Boyz in their 2-5 hammering by Ecuador on Friday has left head coach Theodore Whitmore fuming and even thinking of acquiring players with the right mental attitude for games in adverse conditions.

Whitmore, 39, who took charge of the Jamaican team in 2008, was losing back-to-back games for the first time in his coaching career, thought the high altitude in Quito was a poor excuse for a poor display.

WHITMORE... We can’t use altitude as an excuse

"I think the attitude of players," he suggested for Jamaica's demise.
    Quito, the capital of Ecuador, is approximately 9,000 feet above sea level and Whitmore wanted to use these types of game for the players to get accustomed to similar conditions in Mexico.

"We can't use it as an excuse. When we have to play Mexico in high altitude we have to erase that from the back of our minds. We have to go there and play, so it's now for us to do a lot of work in getting these players focused in playing in whatever conditions if we want to be in Brazil in 2014," noted Whitmore.

Jamaica, who were coming off a 1-0 defeat against China in the Far East on August 10, never turned up and were 3-0 down at the break and 4-0 after 50 minutes.

"I think we started the game very flat and we can always blame the high altitude. Some of the players weren't up for it and that is something we have to look at and this give us a chance to go out there and widen the pool, so come next year we know exactly where we're going," he noted.
    Goals by Omar Cummings and Demar Phillips in the 56th and 67th minutes, respectively, brought some semblance of respectability to the scoreline, which should have reflected a wider margin of victory for the South Americans.

"When you look on the first half of the game it was very disappointing compared to the second half where we were competing and actually got two goals," Whitmore observed.

"If we did go out there in the first half and wanted to play, I wouldn't say we wouldn't lose the game, but ...it's not losing the game, it's how you lose it," he reiterated.

"We have to give credit to our goalkeeper (Dwayne Miller)... because the score could easily be 10-2," Whitmore noted.
    Meanwhile, yesterday, the core of the team left Quito for Fort Lauderdale where they are scheduled to play Colombia on Tuesday, September 6 at Lockhart Stadium.

The four European-based players, Rudolph Austin, Damion Williams, Dwayne Miller and Demar Phillips, left Friday night for Miami, while three United States-based players in Shavar Thomas, Omar Cummings and Ryan Johnson left early yesterday morning.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1WzGNXu3H
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Seeit deh...this altitude copout is foolishness...i played an entire tournament in Mexico City and didn't have a problem...my teammates were kneeling and dry hurling and all this foolishness...it is mostly mental...

Comment

This is football.. whole different ting.. bowling alleys are even air conditioned !

Comment

Comment

Overdosed on your Hair Club for Men medication, Brickie?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I agree with you 100% Brick. This altitude crap has been an excuse for us for many decades. If that is a real problem, then set up training at the JDF base in Newcastle. It's just an excuse. We simply play bad football. Plain and straight, and even if we play at the bottom of the sea the results aren't going to be much different.

Comment

Just read the article, Karl.
              Now which one of Tappa haters want to fire him. I'm sorry, but I have never seen this die-hard attitude from any of our coaches before Tappa.

Warning to even the forumites favourite Reggae Boyz. Their spot on the team is not safe.

Comment

He wants to play a passing game but keeps picking players who can't pass.

Comment

Not an easy road

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                  He wants to play a passing game but keeps picking players who can't pass.
                  I watched this match and this was a very sad showing even with local players. Goes to show you not allot of development is not taking place from many football sources that are hoping to bring about change. Much more can be had with the correct type of training and tactics, even with local players. I was a bit confused as I'm sure many watching this match about what system was being played in attack and how Jamaica could not close down their opponents from their attacking system (called fluidity). The high attitude has nothing to do with a system of play and being able to pass the ball forward with possession. They need to play with at least two strikers and 4 midfield and that leaves 4 backs. The old must pass away and new things must be used. Why bother to trying something that is not relavent to football. Keep praying. Paul Banta

Comment

thank you coach. At home they may play what they want but when we playing away we need to USE 4 BACKS. We surrender the wings and the give too much space.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Read it.
                      Still believe we did not play smart.

Agree with Tappa. Some of the players do not show the necessary determination to do well for country...as wi used tuh seh - dem a joke!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X