• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owen Hargreaves signs one-year deal with Manchester City

Owen Hargreaves signs one-year deal with Manchester City

IN ASSOCIATION WITH
    BBC.adverts.write("sponsor_section",false);

BBC.adverts.show("sponsor_section"); if (BBC.adverts.hasStyles()) { gloader.load( [ "glow", "1", "glow.dom" ], { onLoad : function(glow) { var $=glow.dom.get; var sponsor_section = $('#bbccom_sponsor_section'); sponsor_section.prop('style').cssText = BBC.adverts.writeAttr('style','sponsor_section'); var sponsor_section_text = $('#bbccom_sponsor_section_text'); sponsor_section_text.prop('style').cssText = BBC.adverts.writeAttr('style','sponsor_section_tex t'); var sponsor_section_image = $('#bbccom_sponsor_section_image'); sponsor_section_image.prop('style').cssText = BBC.adverts.writeAttr('style','sponsor_section_ima ge'); } }); } Page last updated at 18:46 GMT, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 19:46 UK

Hargreaves managed just four appearances in three seasons Manchester City have signed Owen Hargreaves on a one-year deal.
    Hargreaves, 30, who was released by Manchester United after four injury-blighted years at Old Trafford, had a medical at City on Tuesday.
    The Calgary-born England international will train with his new team-mates at Carrington on Thursday.
    Hargreaves had been linked with West Bromwich Albion before emerging as a shock target for City coach Roberto Mancini.
    City keeper Joe Hart was visibly stunned when the news of the former Bayern Munich midfielder's possible arrival as a new team-mate was revealed to him during a media briefing while he was on England duty ahead of the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales.
    He responded when told of the deal: "Pardon? Is he? Wowzers. Where's that come from? Really? I don't know what to make of that. That's been put right on my toes.
    "It could be a massive signing. You can tell how important he was.
    Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

/* -1 && userAgent.search("version/3.") > -1) && !(userAgent.search("windows") > -1 && userAgent.search("safari") > -1 && userAgent.search("version/4.") > -1) && userAgent.search("android") == -1) { bbc.fmtj.av.emp.loadProxyPlayer("emp-14715487-170479"); }else{ bbc.fmtj.av.emp.loadEmp("emp-14715487-170479"); } }); /*]]>*/ Click to play

Rooney backs Hargreaves City switch

"I've never been involved with him but I saw a lot of him before and how highly he was regarded when he was at Bayern Munich and at Manchester United.
    "He's a huge player and if he's fit and a part of Man City, he'll be another great signing."
    City defender Joleon Lescott added: "Owen is an experienced player, he has played in the Champions League, is an international. It is only going to be good for the City squad if he signs.
    "People ask if it represents a gamble but the club know what they are doing, Owen knows what he is doing. He is still a good player.
    "If we can get him fit, I'm sure it won't be very long before he is back to his best. He will be a player with a point to prove after his injuries."
    But United striker Wayne Rooney fears his former team-mate will find it difficult to get back to his best.
    "He worked really hard and got back last season, played one game and then got a hamstring injury," Rooney said.
    "He's been out for a couple of years. I think it will be difficult for him to get back to his best. I hope he can do so.
    "From an England point of view he was a type of midfield player that we hadn't really had before.
    "If he can get back that would be great but it will be difficult for him."
    Hargreaves was England's star performer at the World Cup in Germany in 2006 before joining United for £18m the following year.
    Hargreaves played in the 2008 Champions League final victory over Chelsea in Moscow but then began to suffer with knee problems, restricting him to four appearances in three seasons.
    He lasted just 10 minutes of his comeback against Wolves last September and United opted not to renew his contract as a result.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

I want to see the terms of the contract to understand the logics of tis move on both sides. The only logical term of this contract would be a pay-as-you-play, and I don't see him starting or getting much game over the midfielders that Sh!tty has. He stood a better chance of starting at a club like Aston Villa.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I am sure Man United had no problems letting him go but why would Shitty take him on?
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Very, very good player...when healthy!
        Unfortunately too often...most often?...not healthy!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
          I am sure Man United had no problems letting him go but why would Shitty take him on?
          Shitty?? I notice you Manure bwoys are taking to calling the better half Manchester by names more appropriately used on yourselves; ironic.

Anyway, the reason why this is a good move for CITY is because it gives them a) a desperately needed English player (they are very close to the line)
          b) the ability to play in 4 competitions with a high degree of competitiveness and
          c) a decent backup for Yaya Toure and/or Barry.

A youth like Hargreaves will also give them a kind of settling influence in the middle of the season, something they don't currently have with their pack of adrenaline junkies. Good move, but don't look for him to start too many games.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

So you say he is a token Englishman so when critics point at their roster, they can say...'ah ha we have Hargreaves, see he even has a squad number'?
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
              So you say he is a token Englishman so when critics point at their roster, they can say...'ah ha we have Hargreaves, see he even has a squad number'?
              ...and when healthy...he's good!
              "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Villa would be a much better move. Villa have Toure, Barry(now that he doesn't have to overlap as much playing better) Milner and other midfielders. He ain't going to see much playing time. Wish him all the best still. Good baller just got injured and couldn't get over it in his prime.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                X