RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wasn't it reported that Omar Daley was playing in the MLS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasn't it reported that Omar Daley was playing in the MLS?

Omar Daley eagerly awaits return to pro football
    BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011

HEFEI, China — Pacy Jamaican midfielder Omar Daley is itching to get back into the professional game after being on the jobless line since his contract with League Two outfit Bradford City ran out over a month ago.

The 30-year-old Reggae Boy said, like people in any other professions, footballers hate to be unemployed, thus he's anxious to pick up another job, preferably on familiar turf in England where he also played on varying terms for Reading, Preston North End and Bradford's fiercest rivals Rotherham.

Former Bradford City midfielder Omar Daley (right) and Reggae Boyz teammate Keneil Moodie take a break from exercises at the gym of the Los Angeles Airport Marriott on Saturday. Other members of the team are pictured going through their work-outs. (Photo: Sean Williams)

"No professional footballer likes to be in the situation that I am in; it's a disturbing situation, it's like a waiting game to see if another door opens, but I believe that I have done well, so I know that something will happen for me," said a confident Daley, who is a member of Jamaica's team for a friendly international against China here tomorrow.

He attributed his "uncomfortable" status to the fact that his four-year contract with the Bantams ran its course and a change in manager, who brought with him a new focus and philosophy.

With long-time manager and former player, Scotsman Stuart McCall, and his successor Peter Taylor out the door, Daley's days at Valley Parade were numbered with the arrival of Peter Jackson in May this year.

"My contract expired plus there was a change of management, and the new manager had his own ideas to where he wanted to go and it was time for me to move on, so it wasn't really in my hands," explained Daley, who has been enjoying a productive return to the Boyz fold after a short spell on the sidelines.

The player, who was voted League Two Player of the Year two seasons ago by his peers, said he is upbeat he will land a job soon, as his team of agents are working around the clock to get him the best possible deal.

"I have to just sit tight and wait and hopefully the people who are working with me are looking to get the right deal for me," noted Daley, popularly called 'Ratty'.

"Preferably I would want to go back to England, especially that the work permit won't be a problem for me, but as I have said, I am not working at the moment and is contracted to the JFF at the moment, so I am really looking to get going again from a club level," he told the Observer from the team's Hongrui Jinling Grand Hotel base in this eastern Chinese city.

Though he's not ruling out a return to the USA where he had a brief stint nor any other "recognisable" football-playing jurisdictions, Daley has his heart and mind set on an England return.

"US is our neighbour, but everyone is looking to be playing in Europe and I think I still have a lot to offer... I still think I have got a good four years left in Europe," he said.

Daley, who suffered a career-threatening cruciate ligament knee injury at Bradford City against Darlington in 2007, said he enjoyed life at Valley Parade and was considered a favourite there.
    "I
    was one of the top midfielders over the past four years and whenever I am fit I would start, I have never had a problem there and the fans also welcomed me," boasts the former Glenmuir High School and Portmore United player.

After a successful series of surgeries to correct the damaged knee, Daley is of the view that he returned to the west Yorkshire club a better player, which culminated with six goals last season.

"Most people say that I came back quicker from that injury, I am just giving thanks I am here and can still play and being a part of the national team... I was a part of the Gold Cup squad and scored a wonder goal, so I have to give thanks, and I am also looking forward to this game against China and with my future with the team," said the soft-spoken midfielder, who prefers to strut his stuff in the fast lane on the right side of midfield or as an out-and-out winger.

Daley, who also distinguished himself as a youth player for Jamaica — having been a member of the history-making Under-20 team to the FIFA World Cup in Argentina in 2001 — made a smooth transition to the senior level, racking up 64 caps and seven goals since his 2000 debut.

Daley, who stands at 5 feet 9 inches in June 2005, helped his Jamaican club Portmore win the Premier League with a 2-1 aggregate score over current champions Tivoli Gardens. With the first leg ending 1-1, Daley scored the crucial goal in the return fixture to give his side the championship.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1UXyYNlB3

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Reported that he had a trial. San Jose didn't sign him.

Comment

thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X