• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxlade-Chamberlain finally joins Arsenal

Oxlade-Chamberlain finally joins Arsenal in £12m deal from Southampton

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 6:43 PM on 8th August 2011

Arsenal have sealed the signing of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Oxlade-Chamberlain completed his medical on Monday afternoon, in an initial £12million deal that could rise to £15m.

Done deal: Oxlade-Chamberlain has completed his £12m move to Arsenal

The 17-year-old is regarded as one of England's most promising young footballers.
    Oxlade-Chamberlain said: 'I'm so excited to be joining Arsenal. It's a fantastic club and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity of playing football at the highest level.

'Arsenal have a great manager in Arsene Wenger, top quality players and an attractive style of play. These were all important factors in me choosing to sign for Arsenal.

Gunner get ya! Oxlade-Chamberlain has joined Arsenal in a £12m deal

'I'm proud to be joining Arsenal, but I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at Southampton for their help and support during the early part of my career, for which I will always be grateful.

'I'm now looking forward to meeting all my new team mates and giving absolutely everything in an Arsenal shirt.'
    Wenger added: 'We are delighted that Alex has decided to join us. He is an exciting young player who will provide us with creativity and offensive quality.

Big move: Arsene Wenger has faith in youth

'Alex is a versatile player who can play in a number of positions. He can play as an attacking centre midfielder, or wide left and right.

'Alex is a perceptive passer of the ball and has a great understanding of the game and looks to be a very good team player.

'Alex has done extremely well during his development with Southampton and we are looking forward to him progressing even further and fulfilling his huge potential with Arsenal Football Club.'

A Southampton statement read: 'Alex Chamberlain has joined Premier League side Arsenal for a club record fee, subject to Premier League and FA approval.

'The teenager agreed personal terms and passed a medical this afternoon in one of the biggest deals in Championship history, which sees Saints' previous transfer records blown out of the water.

'The deal for the midfielder - who had made it clear he saw his future away from Southampton, was done with Saints in the driving seat for the duration of the protracted negotiations and the transfer was completed on our terms.

First in: Gervinho was Arsenal's only previous big signing

The club had long made it clear that it didn't wish to sell Chamberlain, and would only consider doing so should an offer meet our high valuation of the youngster, who turns 18 next week.'
    Oxlade-Chamberlain played a key role in helping Southampton secure promotion to the Championship last season, firing nine goals in 34 appearances.
    Known for his pace and ability to beat defenders, he can operate on either side of the pitch.
    His style has invited comparisons with Theo Walcott, who also left Saints for Arsenal, though Oxlade-Chamberlain is a better defender who is comfortable in central midfield as well as out wide.
    Manchester United and Liverpool have also expressed interest in the Southampton academy product, but Arsenal have beaten them to his signing.

Oxlade-Chamberlain will join Arsene Wenger's other summer signings Gervinho and Carl Jenkinson in time for their Premier League kick-off against Newcastle on Saturday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1UStqfw6A

Wenger give up on this season this year?
    He wait until the last minute to be signing people. No pre-season fi them.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Another winger at that, anybody noticed how clichy gave away the winning goal against united in the community shield. That indecision and bad positioning has been killing arsenal for years.

Excellent signing city!

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        Wenger give up on this season this year?
        He wait until the last minute to be signing people. No pre-season fi them.
        Wenger a bargain hunt as usual, wait til everybody spend dem bing money then him pick up the scraps!!

Comment

Wegner and his fixation with little boys.......hmph!!!
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
          X