• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big blow for young Reggae Boyz

Big blow for young Reggae Boyz

Published: Monday | August 8, 2011

Under-23 coach Alfredo Montesso - file

Jermaine Lannaman, Gleaner Writer
    Jamaica's football received a heavy blow yesterday when the Under-23 team yesterday failed to advance past the regional qualification play-off for next year's Olympic Games in London.

The team drew 2-2 with hosts Suriname in their top-of-the table Caribbean Football Union (CFU) play-off tie and thus were eliminated by an inferior goal difference after both teams ended on seven points from three games

Jamaica, the hosts, the Cayman Islands and St Vincent and Grenadines participated in the play-off. The young Reggae Boyz defeated St Vincent and the Grenadines 2-0 in their opening fixture and then clipped Cayman Islands 1-0, to end with a plus-three goal difference.

Suriname, on the other hand, beat the Cayman Islands 5-0 and then whipped St Vincent and the Grenadines 3-1 to finish with a plus-seven goal difference.

"It's unfortunate that we did not qualify for the stage, as we were clearly the best team in the play-off, and had it not been for some questionable refereeing towards the end we would have advanced," said Jamaica's coach, Alfredo Montesso.

"We played our best game today with regards to good ball possession and movement, decision-making and creating chances, and they created very little scoring chances.

"However, in the 91st minute of play the referee decided to give them a penalty after one of their players dribbled outside the area and was not touched.

He added: "Their supporters then swarmed the field after the penalty scored, which unsettled the team, and took some time before the game resumed.

"When the game did resume I then tried to get the team settled, however, after adding three minutes of time added, the referee blew the whistle almost immediately.

"It was a sad end to a game in which we dominated and had complete control, and the view of the management team ... is that they will be submitting a report to the CFU," Montesso said.

Jamaica's goals were netted by former St George's College forward Kemal Malcom, and University of the West Indies striker Andre Bernal in the 24th and 27th minutes respectively while Suriname got their goals through an own goal in the 21st minute, and the penalty.

Suriname, whose senior team is ranked 110th on the FIFA world rankings, will represent the Caribbean during the CONCACAF stage of qualifying.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

they can submit reports till dem fool, i have never seen these decisions/outcomes reversed.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"It's unfortunate that we did not qualify for the stage, as we were clearly the best team in the play-off, and had it not been for some questionable refereeing towards the end we would have advanced," said Jamaica's coach, Alfredo Montesso.
      He is trying to deflect people's attention here from this abysmal failure, and based on what I've heard from people in Ja, I was not expecting much from Montesso & this team.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I agree, so much from the Brazilian Impact. Jamaica needs finishers..over and over again we have the same problem, finishing. I think 80% of training sessions should be focused on finishing...That's been our weakness for years now. We have a goalkeeper coach but we need a coach to focus on Finishing..Composure, finesse, the whole art of finishing

Comment

And when the U23 team is having a tough time beating a high school team and a recently promoted team, you know something is wrong and much is not expected

Comment

Re:
            "...we need a coach to focus on Finishing..."
            Yep!!! I have been saying this also from the days when Luther Blissett of England offered to be our offensive coach.

That said, congrats to the team! They did not lose a single game; they won two and drew one. The tie-breaker was between them and the host and there is no shame losing a tie-breaker to the host. Disappointments there are but we did not disgrace ourselves. The end is sad but we can pick up the pieces and move on to positive things.
            "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Since I'm not an Olympic diehard football fan I will agree to disagree with some of the forumites. Yes, the Young Boyz miss a sitter but which team hasn't. And because we did not progress to the next round Montesso and Company failed. I don't remember certain forumites being critical with the U-17s in Brazil slowly emulating their system into ours. Something Jamaica has been trying from Day One.
              And as critical as the forumites are. There are always two sides to a coin and the Bajan referee was looking for the perfect excuse to "give it to Jamaica.' And he did.
              So let's not fool ourselves. The WAR has begun. Jamaica and Barbados are officially at loggerheads.
              Good thing it was not a World Cup qualifier.

PLUS: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/tools...on-aug-08-2011
              Last edited by Jamaica2099; August 8, 2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Jamaica2099, lets not shy away from the issue here. This team was no good. I went to the last practice game against highgate fc and everybody in the crowd shared the same sentiment.

I dont want to sound like an overly critical forumite but I struggle to understand why Evan Taylor and Davion Thorpe are still in the national setup at any age level. They are technically lacking and still struggle to pass the ball. And If your lacking in central midfield its plain and simple you are going no where.

Ask the senior team about our central midfield problem.

Comment

They made a huge error bringing in Evan Taylor mere days before they left for Suriname. One report described his long wayward balls. That's the Evan Taylor I know from Simoes days. When those long balls connect they look beautiful, but they don't connect often enough.

They brought him and another player back without knowing what they were doing abroad. It was a matter of "playing abroad, must be good".

Hey, unnu realise Darren Mattocks was not on the team? At least they saw him for weeks and he did not make the cut. I cannot blame that decision because I saw many practices and matches where he failed to impress. I thought he was the real deal after the first match I saw him play, but after that...nothing.

We need to make sure that people don't come into teams on name recognition alone. Is not like Evan Taylor was playing for Chelsea or something.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The central midfield was not my problem, unless yuh talking about a creative midfielder. We didn't have any! I cannot understand expecting success when you don't have a midfield general, a maestro to orchestrate the attacks.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Shola View Post
                      Jamaica2099, lets not shy away from the issue here. This team was no good. I went to the last practice game against highgate fc and everybody in the crowd shared the same sentiment.

I dont want to sound like an overly critical forumite but I struggle to understand why Evan Taylor and Davion Thorpe are still in the national setup at any age level. They are technically lacking and still struggle to pass the ball. And If your lacking in central midfield its plain and simple you are going no where.

Ask the senior team about our central midfield problem.
                      Except that the team played well according to the report. So wouldn't it point then to the referee's dubious decision.
                      My Gunners face many of those decisions last season.
                      What's even worse now is that Barbados and T&T are in the same World Cup qualifying group. So which team do I support to knock out the other.

Comment

Yes mosiah, thats exactly what i meant. There was no creativity coming from taylor and thorpe. Both are enforcers and I might add that they're both not good at enforcing.

Comment

ANd this is my point, if we can't beat teams like Suriname, forget it..We were never gonna get through the next round. I will pull this post when Suriname get s5 and 6 from teams in the next round

Comment

CAYMAN AIRWAYS' 43RD ANNIVERSARY SALE.

It may be our anniversary, but the gift is yours. Book a non-stop flight from New York (JFK) to the Cayman Islands aboard Cayman Airways between August 5 - 13, 2011, and you'll fly for as low as $248*. Check 2 bags, sip a rum punch and enjoy meal service - all for free.

Join us for this one, and let the celebration begin.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                              Re:

Yep!!! I have been saying this also from the days when Luther Blissett of England offered to be our offensive coach.

That said, congrats to the team! They did not lose a single game; they won two and drew one. The tie-breaker was between them and the host and there is no shame losing a tie-breaker to the host. Disappointments there are but we did not disgrace ourselves. The end is sad but we can pick up the pieces and move on to positive things.
                              Sorry. disagree. It is a shame losing to the 2nd formers!
                              ...means our team was some way below that 2nd form level.

No TEAM!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X