• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Beckham's changed the game in America

David Beckham has changed the game in America

Published: 29 Jul 2011

Add a comment (9)

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER commisioner Don Garber insists David Beckham has transformed football Stateside.

Beckham, 36, is in the final season of a five-year contract with LA Galaxy and has defied the critics who claimed his move to America was nothing more than a money-making exercise.
    The midfielder will have banked an estimated £128million by the time his MLS deal expires but Garber is adamant Becks has transformed the game across the pond.
    He said: "David has been a game-changer for us, on and off the field.
    "We love him. It has almost been five years and now is very established in our country.
    "He has become this larger than life figure and he happens to play in our country for one of our great teams.
    "There is no question that it was a good financial deal for David and the league but you don't hear about the money anymore.
    "He really cares about the league. He wants to build the sport and he wants to give back to the community.
    "There is something for David in trying to be the person, like Pele was decades ago, who can be a real pioneer for our sport.
    "I am not sure what his future is or what his plans are but it would be great to have him in MLS for years to come."

David is just an Advertisement. How exactly has he changed the game??
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Aside from bringing more visibility to the league I cant see much else.
      Nevertheless, I must admit that his spot/free kicks on set pieces have mostly been superb! That is probably the one on-field game changer he has brought to the MLS.
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

yeah his spot kicks and his passes especially this year has been suberb. Yes he bought some visability to the game but to single him out as a game changer. No doubt he has contributed to building the league but game changer?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

what do you expect the league to say?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            what do you expect the league to say?!?
            Exactly! Even so, the reason why a dispassionate observer may say Beckham's changed the game is simply because the European visibility and the opportunities for MLS footballers have gotten better since his arrival. It also means MLS teams are now seen as reasonably well conditioned pre-season competition. Manure's tour now including MLS competition (which previous tours up until recently did not; Red Bulls are at the Emirates Cup. Is this all because of Beckham? I don't think so, but the visibility helps everyone.
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Working...
            X