• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wenger's bunch of failures! I quit Arsenal to win trophies,

Wenger's bunch of failures! I quit Arsenal to win trophies, claims Clichy

By Bob Cass

Last updated at 12:07 AM on 17th July 2011

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1SKLqpnmd

Gael Clichy claims that he turned down a lucrative new contract with Arsenal to join Manchester City because he was fed up with the failure of Arsene Wenger’s team to win trophies.

The 25-year-old France defender says that after only a week with his new team-mates on City’s pre-season tour in the United States and Canada, he already feels he has made a winning choice.

‘After spending eight years with Arsenal it would have been easy to sign a new contract to stay there because they’re a fantastic club that will always be challenging for trophies,’ said Clichy. ‘But it got to a point for me where I didn’t just want to challenge for the titles only to be disappointed in the final weeks of the season. I wanted to play for a club that would win them.’

Bottled it: Arsenal were at one stage in the hunt for four trophies, but won nothing

Clichy, who signed a four-year contract with City, insisted that he was not being critical of fellow Frenchman Wenger or Arsenal. But the failure of Wenger’s team to convert title challenges into silverware had persuaded him to move.

‘I joined City because I felt that this was a club ready to win important trophies over the next few years,’ said Clichy. ‘Look at last season. At Arsenal we were challenging for all four trophies. But in the end we finished fourth and without a trophy. City came third and won the FA Cup. So I’m joining a club who are winning trophies.’

Winning formula: Gael Clichy left the club because he felt he had a better chance of winning silverware at Manchester City

Clichy admits he had once harboured doubts about City’s reliance on the wealth of the club’s Abu Dhabi owners.

‘When Sheik Mansour first took over here there was a lot of scepticism in the game, and I was one of the sceptics,’ he said. ‘The criticism was that it was all about the money. But, for me, last season proved that City are now one of the top clubs in the game.

‘I know from my own experience that when it comes to the most important part of the season you can’t just have a great team, you need a great squad.

Crisis: Few have given Arsenal any hope of challenging for the the title when the season kicks-off

‘It was so frustrating at Arsenal. At times last year we played some fantastic football and looked as good as any team in the league. But there were also times when we had injuries to our best players and we couldn’t cope. If we lost Cesc Fabregas or Robin van Persie then the team really suffered.

‘I’ve been at City only a week but I look around and see a squad that is strong. I see a group of players good enough to allow the manager to rotate - and that is what makes a successful club.’

City play Vancouver Whitecaps on Monday night. They will complete their trip to North America by returning to California for a match against David Beckham’s LA Galaxy on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1SKLL7oq5
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

him looking readymade trophy? good luck to him ... to a certain point , that is...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Flamini,Hleb,adebayor,Reyes............ After leaving the Gunners where as thier careers headed? Mek Clichy gwaan talk!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
        Flamini,Hleb,adebayor,Reyes............ After leaving the Gunners where as thier careers headed? Mek Clichy gwaan talk!!
        Flamini - Won Seria A with AC Milan
        Hleb - Won UCL with Barca
        Adebayor - Won Copa Del Rey with Real Madrid
        Reyes - Won Europa League with Athletico Madrid.

As Clichy said, he wants to WIN trophies.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Flamini - Won Seria A with AC Milan
          Hleb - Won UCL with Barca
          Adebayor - Won Copa Del Rey with Real Madrid
          Reyes - Won Europa League with Athletico Madrid.

As Clichy said, he wants to WIN trophies.
          That's it! One trophy. I thought they left to win trophies
          Last edited by Jamaica2099; July 17, 2011, 07:19 PM.

Comment

A one thing fustrate me about Wenger is that he hasn't taken two good defender and a stand up midfielder in the summer so far.

Clichy should know better. How many goals he scored in a Arsenal Jersey. Hopefully him nah go make up numbers at City. See Boateng just left. He might be as good if not better than Clichy. What happen to the big buy Wayne Bridge?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaica2099 View Post
              That's it! One trophy. I thought they left to win trophies
              yuh affi win 1 b4 u can win 2.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

a nuff offside trap clichy mess up yuh nuh, him is one of the reason why him don't have no trophies, as a senior man him play a bag a mess

Comment

good riddance !
                  Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Way to go Clichy!!

I watch ManCity played Club America de-odder-night...and I love what I saw in this new addition.

Mek Arsenal move an' gwey!!!
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                    X