Feb 7, 2006 - England vs Spain: Barton wins first England call-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feb 7, 2006 - England vs Spain: Barton wins first England call-up

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Barton wins first England call-up </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Barton's form has impressed England boss Steve McClaren</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton has won his first England squad call-up for the friendly against Spain at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

Real Madrid's on-loan Middlesbrough defender Jonathan Woodgate is recalled for the first time since 2004.

Newcastle's Kieron Dyer and Gareth Barry of Aston Villa also return after long absences from the national squad.

BBC Sport columnist Owen Hargreaves, of Bayern Munich, is named for the first time since breaking a leg in September.

<DIV class=avinline>Barton, 24, was expected to win his first call-up after impressing England coach Steve McClaren with his form and attitude this season. </DIV>

McClaren is happy to give Barton his chance, despite speculation his inclusion could cause friction after the City midfielder launched a verbal attack on Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard.

Lampard took exception to Barton's comments and there had been suggestions that the England coach had been approached by some senior players and asked not to pick the 24-year-old.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV>There will be no issues, that is the beauty of England <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva>England coach Steve McClaren</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The England coach is confident there will be no effects when his squad meets up on Sunday evening.

McClaren said: "There will be no issues, that is the beauty of England.

"The players can be rivals on a Saturday and hate each other. But when they come together with England it is a common cause.

"Joey is coming into a fantastic squad and everybody will be professional."

Barton joins up with Manchester City team-mate Micah Richards, who is expected to win his second cap, having made his England bow against Holland in Amsterdam in December.

As expected, Chelsea defender Ashley Cole is not named after suffering a knee injury in the Blues' win over Blackburn.

England skipper John Terry is included in the squad despite a lack of first-team action since undergoing back surgery at the end of December.

Woodgate's inclusion marks the end of an injury nightmare for the former Newcastle and Leeds defender.

His last appearance for England was against Sweden in March 2004, since when his international career has been put on hold by a spate of injuries.

McClaren has watched the centre-half put in some strong displays for Middlesbrough but Woodgate himself remained cautious saying: "I am not really thinking about England."

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sib606><DIV class=sihf></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dyer is another player recalled to the England colours after a long battle with injury. He last played for England in March 2005.

Barry has been recalled following a four-year international exile.

His reward for some impressive peformances for Villa this season is a chance to add to his eight caps.

Barry was re
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Feb 7, 2006 - England vs Spain: Barton wins first England call-up

...and,

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Maccarone savages McClaren reign </DIV><DIV class=sh></DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Massimo Maccarone launched a blistering attack on Steve McClaren</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>England coach Steve McClaren has come under savage attack from his former Middlesbrough star Massimo Maccarone.

Maccarone, 27, launched his tirade in the Italian media after joining Siena.

He said: "The ever-smiling Steve 'The Magnificent' McClaren is the most two-faced and false person I've had the misfortune to meet in football."

Maccarone, signed by McClaren for £8m in 2002, added: "Only in England can someone with such evident limits become the head of the national team."

<DIV class=avinline>He told La Gazzetta dello Sport's official website, www.gazzetta.it: "He disgusted me by leaving me on the bench for the 2004 League Cup final after having told everyone I was his number one and he was counting on me. </DIV>

"At the end all he could do was mutter 'I know, I know'."

Maccarone, who made 102 appearances for Boro and scored 24 goals, also turned his fire on McClaren's successor at Middlesbrough, Gareth Southgate.

He said: "During the McClaren years, Southgate came to me endlessly, disguised as my friend, to give me support and encouragement, slating McClaren's treatment of me at every single opportunity.

"When he became manager I was ready and excited by the fresh start that he promised me, but he conducted himself exactly as McClaren had done.

"I felt utterly betrayed by Southgate as he was the one who convinced me to stay and then promised me a run of five or six games which he never gave me."

But his attack shocked his representative Paolo Fabbri, who said: "I am really doubtful whether Massimo would be so rude as to criticise Steve McClaren and Gareth Southgate in this way.

"Yes, he was very upset not to play more often, any player would be, and yes, he might have specific points to make about McClaren and Southgate on a technical level - but I do not believe his frustrations go beyond that.

"It is said he didn't like Middlesbrough as a club, yet I know for an absolute fact that was not true because he was always very complimentary about the stadium and the training ground, the fans and the entire organisation.

"When he knows what is being said in his name, I am sure Massimo will be pretty upset because it is just not his style to be so rude and make comments of such a personal nature."
    <BR clear=all></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X