RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Souleymane Coulibaly - Real Madrid's Top Transfer Priority?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souleymane Coulibaly - Real Madrid's Top Transfer Priority?

Souleymane Coulibaly Surely Must Be Real Madrid's Top Transfer Priority
    By Michael Thomas (Contributor) on June 26, 2011

Coulibaly has been dubbed the 'new Didier Drogba'
    Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

In a spat of Sunday boredom, I found myself flipping through channels in search of at least a moderately interesting program. Stumbling across the final Under-17 World Cup group stage match featuring Brazil against the Ivory Coast, I found more than just a compelling program—I think I just witnessed the future of offensive football in Ivorian striker Souleymane Coulibaly.

With his team trailing 1-0 early in the match and requiring at least a tie to guarantee promotion to the elimination stages, Coulibaly took the game into his own hands.

Collecting the ball on the left side of the box, the 16-year-old feigned right and drove right so quickly that helpless Brazilian defender Matheus fell straight onto his buttocks. Shooting from an impossibly tight angle, the young Ivorian maintained his composure and unloaded a left-footed blast inside Brazilian keeper Charles' near post.

Facing a 2-1 deficit several minutes later, Coulibaly slipped the offside trap before masterfully redirecting the entry pass past a perfectly positioned Charles to once again level the score.

With the score still deadlocked at two apiece following halftime, Charles impressively tipped away a headed shot which would have finally put the Ivory Coast ahead. However, Coulibaly took advantage of the resulting corner. With the Brazilian defense failing to clear, the powerful striker leaped up from 12 yards out and fired a breathtaking overhead shot past a sprawling Charles.

My jaw dropped wide open.

In addition to bagging a hat trick against Brazil, he scored in the opener against Australia and netted four times against Denmark.

Eight goals in the group stage? This could not possibly be true.

Upon watching the highlights from the Ivory Coast's previous two games, I was thoroughly impressed. Unlike contemporary prolific scorers such as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo who both create and finish their own opportunities, Coulibaly plays as a pure striker.

Cast in the mold of Michael Owen and Filippo Inzaghi, he is relentless in the final third of the field. Often collecting deflections and poor passes, the 16-year-old is one of a dying breed of strikers who have the reflexes, touch and composure to consistently punish opposing defenders for their carelessness.

Linked with a move to Real Madrid earlier this morning according to ESPNsoccernet.com, manager Jose Mourinho will now undoubtedly make signing the Siena forward his No. 1 transfer priority.

While 'the next Didier Drogba' will undoubtedly require several more years before potentially developing into a top-tier striker, Mourinho must attempt to sign Coulibaly immediately. With all of the top European clubs now certainly tracking him and Siena, recently promoted in Serie A, in no position to retain his now-coveted services, the Special One will now certainly face stiff competition for the young Ivorian's signature.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Messi is a creator, Coulibaly is a DESTROYER!

Comment

Working...
    X