X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin says CONCACAF disregarding court order

Austin says CONCACAF disregarding court order

Saturday, June 25, 2011

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, (CMC) – Embattled football executive Lisle Austin says he has been shut out of CONCACAF’s offices and has accused the organisation of disregarding a court order which should have facilitated his return as its rightful leader.

Austin is currently fighting to retain his post as acting CONCACAF president after he was removed by the executive committee recently for an apparent violation of the organisation’s statues.

And though he obtained an injunction in the Bahamas High Court to overturn the decision, Austin said he was still being barred from take up the top role in the confederation.

“CONCACAF and persons acting on its behalf are continuing to disobey the Bahamian Court Order,” Austin said yesterday.

“They have prevented me from getting access to the CONCACAF offices and have refused to make available to me the records, files and other internal papers of CONCACAF.

“They are wearing their complete disregard for the Bahamian Order as a badge of honour. Because of their obstructive behaviour I have been unable to assume the duties of President.”

Though Austin obtained the injunction, FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said recently that football’s world governing body recognised Honduran Alfredo Hawit as the current acting president of CONCACAF.

An application to the Bahamian court to decide on whether CONCACAF was in contempt of its ruling was expected to be heard on Friday but was adjourned until Monday.

Austin said he hoped the way would soon be clear for him to take up the top position in the confederation, which has been plunged into internal strife because of the recent cash-for-votes scandal.

“I trust that I will soon be in a position to bring stability and transparency to the affairs of CONCACAF by assuming the duties of the President in accordance with the Statutes of CONCACAF,” the Barbadian noted.

Austin was appointed acting president of CONCACAF following the suspension of Jack Warner, pending investigations by FIFA’s ethics committee into bribery allegations.

It was alleged that Austin and FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam of Qatar had offered Caribbean Football Union members US$40,000 bribes in exchange for votes at the June 1 FIFA election.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1QKyIdurI
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

What did he expect ? Whats your next move Austin ? I suggest withdrawing it and petition to FIFA on Burrels appeal for slander and racism.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

All the cards so far favour Sepp, Jack overplayed his with arrogance, flirting with Ben Hamman was seen as Betrayal by Sepp and he unleashed Blazer on him.So whats next.

Sepp wont see Blazer kicked out , but the carribbean will not be dictated to by a Central/N american power structure where it got scraps off the table in the past.

So Burrell and Co has to challenge it in a presidential vein, which they will more than likely win and I dont see Sepp having a problem with it as long as he serves his term , after that Blazer is on his own.

RUN Burell ,Reid ,RUN !

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I thought FIFA doesn't bow to governmental interference... isn't that the policy they are upholding Mr Austin?

If Mr Austin's contention that they are violating statutes is correct, aren't the statutes FIFA's to use and abuse as it sees fit? isn't that what they have always done? Where has the goodly Mr Austin been all these years? (sigh)...
        Peter R

Comment

FIFA's rules and regulations say they should not settle their business in the regular courts, but the Court of Arbitration Of Sports. By going to the domestic courts in The Bahamas, Austin is violating the same rules he is supposed to be upholding.

As I said before, what a tangled web they weave. . .
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Thanks for that info.

Therefore, the Bahamas judiciary would have no impact... and I suspect going to the arbitrators would be tantamount to shooting himself in the foot if that is an option...
            Peter R

Comment

Well, I might add to that that they first have to go through the FIFA Disputes Resolution Process before they can take it to the Court For Arbitration Of Sports. If no solution can be found, then it is sent to the CAS. They are not supposed to take matters to the civil courts.

I guess that Austin did not have any patience to wait on that process.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

That again raises the question on which takes precedent and how the answer is justified:

Are incorportated companies compelled to adhere to the laws of the country in which they are incorporated?

What do the filings and the registration of a FIFA related member country (FA) demand on compliance with the laws of the country in which that member state has been registered to do business?

...and specific to CONCACAF: What has CONCACAF, under law, rules and regulations of the Bahamas agreed to adhere?

-----> Who is more powerful FIFA or countries?
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

karl raise a point, a very very interesting point. bahamas could wind up concacaf ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Bahamas could be winding up itself.

Comment

...the underlying point was FIFA cannot allow Austin to remain based on his court won injunction. That would open FIFA to having set a precedent, fall apart on that authoritian control of football.

...so for FIFA's own good it has to either 'dig in heels' and banish Austin or compromise with him...and for him to promise to ratify all actions the illegally constituted body i.e. the Honduran acting Presi led body, has done thus far as a condition to being restored to his rightful place as acting Presi.
                      Last edited by Karl; June 26, 2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X