• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Tappa' happy with Boyz despite 'early' elimination IAN BURN

'Tappa' happy with Boyz despite 'early' elimination
    IAN BURNETT @ THE CONCACAF GOLD CUP ?in the USA
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011

WASHINGTON, DC, USA — Despite crashing out of the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup Tournament following a 0-2 defeat to the United States in their quarter-final match-up at the RFK Stadium on Sunday afternoon, the consensus coming out of the Reggae Boyz squad is that the future is bright.

"I'm disappointed, but I still have to give credit to the players because they went out there and they performed," declared head coach Theodore Whitmore.

WASHINGTON, DC, USA — Jamaica's Luton Shelton and the USA's Jermaine Jones caught in an aerial battle during their CONCACAF Gold Cup quarter-final game at the RFK Stadium here on Sunday. The USA won 2-0.
    1/1

The disappointment was not just for the end result of failing to beat the US for the first time in 20 meetings, or for failing to advance to the semi-finals of the regional tournament for the third time, but moreso because the Reggae Boyz, who had lit up North America with entertaining football, failed to raise their level of play to the required standard on the day.

During the group phase the Boyz rattled four goals past Grenada, two against Guatemala and one against Honduras to end the preliminary stage as just one of three unbeaten teams; just one of two teams with maximum nine points, and the only team yet to concede an goal.

The head coach believed that the Boyz failed to exhibit their new-found fluid, entertaining brand of football on the day due to some of the senior players underperforming, but he didn't exclude the magnitude of the occasion, the opposition or even the history of the two teams, as possible reasons for the largely one-sided contest.

"Sometimes it can be nerves, sometimes it can be the opposition. I think some of our better players never played today (Sunday), but I think overall it was a good performance from the national team and with the players that we had in this tournament the future looks bright and I must congratulate the players again for the hard work throughout this tournament," he added.

The high-riding Reggae Boyz matched their North American rivals head-to-head for the first half hour and should have scored from as early as the fourth minute when Ryan Johnson and Luton Shelton failed to score from close range after Dane Richards and Rodolph Austin had combined to create the best opportunity of the half.

Another opportunity went abegging on the half-hour mark when Johnson, after being played behind the US defence by Austin, teed up Shelton at the top of the penalty box, but the forward tried to be tricky instead of shooting at goal.

Whitmore thought that had the Boyz taken any of those chances, particularly the first, the result might have been different.

"That (missed chance) was very crucial and I think that would have changed the complexion of the game. We can't keep getting chances, especially in these types of games, and giving them up. Look at the first goal that the US scored, so I think it would have made a lot of difference to the game," he said.

Assistant coach Alfredo Montesso also bemoaned the missed opportunity.
    "I'm disappointed especially with the result because the first 25, 30 minutes we were in shape, organised on the field and we had the two best chances in the game, but in this case when you play away, as we played today (Sunday), and you had a chance like that, you must capitalise on it.

"And then the team would get more confident, play ball possession as they played before and they would not give space to the other team," he said.
    For Ryan Johnson, the man who missed the chance, it was great goalkeeping by Tim Howard of Everton FC in the English Premier League.

"The keeper made a good foot save, that's all," he said, shrugging his shoulders. He acknowledged that it could have changed the result of the game, but he couldn't be certain.

From the half-hour mark, the Americans assumed total control and never let up. In fact, had it not been for outstanding work by goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, the margin of victory could have been wider.

"We didn't play our ball possession game today (Sunday), we didn't show up for that, we must understand that every game we play ball possession we control the game. We move the ball one side to another, we get more organised on the field and we get less pressure than what we got today (Sunday)," said Montesso.

He posited that the Boyz didn't play well because of the lost chance early on, which inspired the hosts, who gained belief and started moving and organising plays in the midfield, which "confused our marking inside".

"In the second half we tried to step somebody inside the midfield to try to tie them down, don't allow them to move too much. Both Bradley (Michael) and Jones (Jermaine), they had so much space to work and build the game from behind, so this is what caused our loss," he offered.

The Americans got on the scorecard when Jones rifled a shot from outside the box which took a wicked deflection off the right boot of Jermaine Taylor and wrong-footed Ricketts, who appeared well set to make the save.

Then Taylor was criminally sent off for a non-existent foul on Jones, who had broken free towards goal. Television replays clearly suggested that Taylor did not make contact with the player, who tried his best to 'draw' contact and appeared to dive.

Being a man down and totally stretch as they went in search of an equaliser, the US made the game safe when Clint Dempsey evaded Ricketts before slotting home.

Team captain Shave Thomas, while disappointed with the loss, also thought it was a good performance overall, and something to be proud about. He vowed to get back at the US.

"A target was set and we never got to it, we fell one game short, but if you look back at our overall performance in the tournament it is something we can look at and be happy about and build on because we came here and we played some good football and it is just sad that we fell short of our goal," he noted.

Having seen the team improve throughout the tournament, and even during a training camp in Brazil, Whitmore now plans to set a programme leading into the 2014 World Cup Qualifying campaign.

"When we return home we will sit and discus where we go from here because for now we just have to concentrate on some practice games and focus on the 2014 campaign. We have some areas in the team that we need to start looking at to get it more competitive, so we have a lot of work to do," he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1PuHVGyWl
    Last edited by Karl; June 21, 2011, 03:00 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

So the excuses we hear from the coaches are the occasion was too big and boyz not stepping up to play their game but the most plausabile is the coaches error of ceding the midfield.

1st lets dispel the 1st reason, most of these guys are overseas professionals who ply their trade in the same league where this tournament is held.So I think stage fright is ruled out because of familiarity with players surface and occasion.

2nd The excuse of not stepping up to play their game is tied to the more plausablie one of ceding the midfield.The boyz did play their game and if they scored those two goals in the 1st half it could have been a different game.

3rd ceding the midfield ,well they or Montesseo admitted it as a tactical error which they tried to make adjustment for in the 2nd half , by that time the USA had all confidence to attack at will and we had to struggle to find shape and form.In other words we were OUTCOACHED !

I said it a day before the game played , a defensive game would cause us cards, the ref did us no favours and we did ourselves none either.

Congratulations to Tappa its a formation and system that can only get better , better tactical teams will kill us , but we need better strikers to execute our game and better midfielders to do same.Shelton performance speaks for itself we have to step up.

He posited that the Boyz didn't play well because of the lost chance early on, which inspired the hosts, who gained belief and started moving and organising plays in the midfield, which "confused our marking inside".

"In the second half we tried to step somebody inside the midfield to try to tie them down, don't allow them to move too much. Both Bradley (Michael) and Jones (Jermaine), they had so much space to work and build the game from behind, so this is what caused our loss," he offered
    Last edited by Karl; June 21, 2011, 03:01 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Karl did you read this? Isn't this what I was saying..We looked confused in midfielf and the USA was interchanging so mauch that nobody was marking properly...and we didn't do anything to adjust..we should have made a tacticcal change at halftime. At least the coaching staff realize their mistake which is a good start

Comment

Nuh personnel change nah guh solve dat deh problem, if di playah dem a switch role pan di fiel. Di adjustment haffi mek pan di fiel pan di fly dynamically by di playahs dem. Coach ongle can change di personnel, an him ongle hab 3 changes fi mek suh. Playahs haffi bi able fi adapt an adjust accordingly.

Comment

Jamaica should have really scored early and played its best football for the first 25 minutes or so. We really have to bring Marlon King back and also a healthy Omar Cummings back into the mix. Ball distribution from Ricketts had much to be desired and too many of his kicks wound up being speculative 50-50 balls where we predictably gave up possession. For good portion of the second half the team appeared to be lost in the midfield without any serious direction.

From my vantage point in the stands, we all expected the red card, and after that it was all one way traffic. A sistren who did not get into RFK until the second half (traffic was a nightmare) had asked if Jamaica has sent its real team, cause she did not see a shot on goal until late.

About 70% of the fans were Salvadoreans and they mostly supported the USA. I do not think there were more than 200 Jamaicans in attendance!

I do think the future is bright for Jamaican football and we know we are not yet on the level of the USA, but we can dominate the lesser teams, which will put us in a descent shape for the world cup qualifiers.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Because the boyz collectively resorted to backtracking to their half before starting to tackle,it has to be a defensive strategy instituted by the coach.Give any player enough time to make a pass,he will complete it

Shelton speed is not only good going forward but backwards too.If he is pinned to the flank line(a few times without passing options) his speed is irrelevant,rather than forcing his way up the line he should've...
            Austin need to assert himself defensively in his opponent's half.
            Suspect strategies are probably the reason we got knocked out,it certainly is the reason we did not play better.

Comment

Tappa have my 100% support.
              I would tell Tappa to listen to the foreign-minded naysayers whose player was not selected and see if their plays work. But then again, the naysayers would be quoting the same old plays that have been tried by a different team that did not work.
              Where is Jamaica's football now because of Tappa's tenacity? Can any of the naysayers tell me how far Jamaica's ranking will drop next week when the polls are out. And how far. Think why I did not say rise.
              Tappa has now given himself and the JFF 14 months before the Reggae Boyz first World Cup qualifier match on the Road to Brazil 2014 begins. Fourteen months for the JFF to line up friendlies or two a month for the Reggae Boyz to prepare. These 14 months will also include playing in the Digicel Cup which will be summer June/July 2012.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/articl...ticle_id=26507

Okay! So it's less than a year to prepare for the 2012 Digicel Cup since Jamaica will probably get a bye as 2010 Digicel Cup CHAMPIONS to the semi-final round. But still Jamaica's Reggae Boyz will be expected to easily sweep through their group, qualify for the final round and 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
              Now come 2013 when Jamaica is again at the Gold Cup. What kind of Reggae Boyz team Mexico and the US think they will face.
              Exactly!!!!
              A full strength 2014 World Cup bound Reggae Boyz squad with our European football professionals.

Comment

No, no, is not backtracking, is picking up di runnahs was di problem. Yuh haffi come back to defen but is how yuh defen di opponent attack is di key. US runnahs was free all game. Re-watch any of di odah three games an yuh wi si di difference. Derefore, di defensive strategy was known long time. Defending, one man guh to di ball handler an den di odah supportin playahs pickup up di runnahs who ah advance fi di receive di pass or act as a decoy, anytime yuh let one guh dat create all kina confusion kah now smady haffi pick him up, an now yuh defensive structure get pull out shape an all ovah di place creatin nuff holes fi di opponent exploit. Derein lies di problem. An dis ah di hallmark ah good defendin, runnahs ah di most dangerous offensive threat innah any game. Membah game ah run an coach kyaan ball out si one deh pick him up, it lef to di playah/playahs fi know an plan how dem ah guh execute di defensive stategy within di context ah di game (dis very important). US jus throw runnahs all bout, decoy an attackah an dat did cause di confusion kah wi jus backtrack an stan up.

Comment

Montesso's comments shows the inability of some of players to adapt tactically. Even if we get British reinforcements a lot of them will not have the tactical flexibility either. At the start of the first half you could see that they were told to push further into the midfield. But after a while they simply reverted to what they were doing in the first half while Johnson was the only man pressing.

A major problem with the team was that the central defenders did not know how to respond when playing against the one striker. So we had Shavar, with Taylor and Reid beside him looking at one striker and not committing to assist Morrison in the middle or Vernan and Demar on the wings. So you found that they were always there too late and simple combination passing by the US had us scrambling on the wings and then when K. Daley came on, they just went straight through the middle of the team.

Comment

No doubt Tapper Tap Tappa has to br credited with the numerous good changes to the team,just hurts that the basics were ignored,hence the annoying,incorrect chants of US superiority.

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                      No, no, is not backtracking, is picking up di runnahs was di problem. Yuh haffi come back to defen but is how yuh defen di opponent attack is di key. US runnahs was free all game. Re-watch any of di odah three games an yuh wi si di difference. Derefore, di defensive strategy was known long time. Defending, one man guh to di ball handler an den di odah supportin playahs pickup up di runnahs who ah advance fi di receive di pass or act as a decoy, anytime yuh let one guh dat create all kina confusion kah now smady haffi pick him up, an now yuh defensive structure get pull out shape an all ovah di place creatin nuff holes fi di opponent exploit. Derein lies di problem. An dis ah di hallmark ah good defendin, runnahs ah di most dangerous offensive threat innah any game. Membah game ah run an coach kyaan ball out si one deh pick him up, it lef to di playah/playahs fi know an plan how dem ah guh execute di defensive stategy within di context ah di game (dis very important). US jus throw runnahs all bout, decoy an attackah an dat did cause di confusion kah wi jus backtrack an stan up.
                      Myyout, you hit the nail on the head; our players did a very poor job picking up runners. Overall, our football is not dynamic enough (i.e., not enough movement off the ball and not enough support when we have the ball and then not enough tracking back and picking up runners when we defend). There is no way that second goal should have scored if our defenders were tracking back and picking up the runners. Noted big improvements over the DCC performance, but we still have a long way to go.

Comment

Ball distribution from Ricketts had much to be desired and too many of his kicks wound up being speculative 50-50 balls where we predictably gave up possession. For good portion of the second half the team appeared to be lost in the midfield without any serious direction.
                        Horti, is the same thing I have been saying. Karl says it is not so and Baddazz back him that he know I would take that position as I do not like Ricketts.

I am glad someone esle saw it the same way though. Our movement of the ball out of the back once it got to Ricketts was so predictable it was a shame. The US players know they only had to stay back and enjoy a 50/50 chance of winning back the ball.

The surprising thing is, Ricketts does not play that way for LA Galaxy.

From my vantage point in the stands, we all expected the red card, and after that it was all one way traffic.
                        Why were you expecting the card? Did you think Jermaine committed a foul or just thought it was going to happen at some point?

FYI, Jermaine should not have been sent off if the referee observed the rules.
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Plush View Post
                          Karl did you read this? Isn't this what I was saying..We looked confused in midfielf and the USA was interchanging so mauch that nobody was marking properly...and we didn't do anything to adjust..we should have made a tacticcal change at halftime. At least the coaching staff realize their mistake which is a good start
                          What was your context when you claimed we were outcoached.

...and what reason did you give for saying that - the coaches did not make any changes to react to the US?

...and you saw that from where you sat in the Stadium. Right?

Remember my response - Let me remind you: I cannot see where we were outcoached. ...and the caoch cannot go on the field and show the players what to do.

There was ample example of our being coached to play a certain style. ...and in this match ample evidence that the players departed from that. Yet the players held the score to 0 - 0 beyond the 1st half...and then suffered a deflected goal and a man sent off.

...and for all that they were up until the 80th minute, 1 goal away from taking it to extra-time.

The failing was taking care of the ball as in the previous matches. No coaching can help on that at that stage.

USA 52% - Ja 48%

Missed opportunities, giving away of the ball i.e. less possession was our loss, right there.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I did not have the benefit of a replay or seeing the action up close regarding the red card. A foul was committed during the play and the red card was harsh. I know TV forumites had a better view of the foul, and it looks like it was a bad decision from the ref.
                            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

There wasn't any foul at all. He didn't touch him LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X