...yup we were outplayed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...yup we were outplayed

but on 2nd viewing some of the depression lifted. We were in it right until the 2nd goal was scored (80th minute).

A lot of positives to take from showing in this Gold Cup. ..for all the US composure and assured play we can lift our performances to surpass their current showing.

Having said that we must not for a moment make that our bar...as we should think on all these TEAM at this Gold Cup raising standards as they all aim for World Cup 2014.

As Assasin and Dunny among others have said - The Captain must get the TEAM steady diet of high quality opponents as he gets the TEAM ready for 2014 qualifiers and beyond.

FORWARD!
    Last edited by Karl; June 19, 2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: correction
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

...yup we were outplayed
    ...and out coached. Bradley has Tappa's ticket this time around.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Did not see that outcoaching.
      The better TEAM won.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Of course we were out coached, shelton and austin should have been off from half time, they were having stinkers!

Comment

i feel that if tappa did use the same team that play against honduras we might have win
          out of many one people

Comment

You need to look at the match again...

Yes they were having problems...but which one of our players was not?
            The claims of Austin having a marked poorer (a less than stellar game ) game than others of our players I let slide...but that is simply not true.

It falls right in the category of claims that Ricketts was always giving away the ball. Appears to me that once the mind is fixed on players past transgressions some find it difficult to focus on the game under review.

Look at Shelton:
            I try to be dispassionate on my review of his play. I speak of his too often poor use of the ball. His scoring record against the 2nd formers compared with higher level opposition.

I address his inability to more often use the open teammate. His too often losing the ball. ...but every now and again I speak of his potential (yet...with his experience we should be seeing the realisation of that potential) ...but in this game although he missed an open goal...and that goal could have been a game changer (speculation on my part as we shall never know) ...he made many good passes...important on our retaining possession...and made at least 2 crucial/important defensive plays deep in our defensive 3rd...my comments are coloured by expectations linked to his gifts - speed and potential and - because of that I come down hard on him.

...and then there are the moments when it appears he has 'brain lock'...such as when in great attacking positions he fails to use his TEAMmates (and then loses the ball/breakdown the attack) or takes extremely poor decisions on shots at goal...makes poor/extremely poor passes and takes extremely poor shots.

So perhaps I am led in my comments by my frevent wish for an upgrade in his play...and my being near dispair that he will not step up and use his brain and display more good plays and live up to his potential????

Pleeease Luton step up nuh, boss. We need you at that higher level!
            You can do it!
            Last edited by Karl; June 20, 2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Did not see that outcoaching.
              The better TEAM won.
              I know you would see it, or could not for that matter. It is Tappa you know and if you were to admit he was out coached, then it would reflect badly on the guy.

Hey, the USA started one way that we did not expect them to and was taking the game to us. I did not see what adjustments our TD made at halftime to counter the US's strategy.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I encourage you to count the amount of times Ricketts kicked those long balls and they ended right to the US where they started building their attack again. It is an objective observation Karl, not a figment of the imagination! If you watch the match again, count how many times our goalkeeper made some pointed pass to any of our players where they were able to comfortably receive the ball and start our attack. Next, count the amount of times he made those massive punts upfield, thus giving our players only a 50/50 chance at getting the ball?

Next, do the same with Tim Howard or better yet, compare Ricketts with Dwayne Miller from the previous match against Honduras.

You at times behave as if you have a monopoly on rationality or common sense and that only you alone can see things correctly. You need to stop that S%^&!
                Last edited by Karl; June 20, 2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                  I know you would see it, or could not for that matter. It is Tappa you know and if you were to admit he was out coached, then it would reflect badly on the guy.
                  That makes no sense taken in the context of the performance during this Gold Cup and Tappa's past record as our coach.

I am giving an honest opinion. I do not see that outcoaching of which you speak. Why do you not analyse the game and show us where 'your coaching' i.e. Tappa's coaching could have been better?

Hey, the USA started one way that we did not expect them to and was taking the game to us. I did not see what adjustments our TD made at halftime to counter the US's strategy.
                  The way the US played is also directly related to what we did when we had the ball.

We too often gave it away. Tappa could not help with that. We started tentatively . Tappa I am sure...did not tell us to do that.

Even if you accept that we were too defensive in outlook...which coach do you know tells the players to not take care of the ball and use wisely to have us win - retain possession and make good plays? ...you are not suggesting that Tappa after teaching that had the displays we saw in the previous 3 matches, turned around and said to his players, " for this match forget all I taught you, stop moving and passing, passing and moving"?

Are you saying that the unfortunate deflected goal was a result of poor instructions by Tappa?

Are you saying that the unfortunate sending off of Taylor was Tappa's doing?

...or are you saying Tappa asked Shelton to miss the open goal deliberately?

...look the USA TEAM was a TEAM superior. Tappa did his job.

We lost! ...get over it and make suggestions so when next we take the field we do better. This is one of those times the coach...our coach should not be blamed.

USA had 52% possession we had 48%.
                  USA carved out more chances than we did. On those stats the USA deserved to win.

If we had won perhaps some would start claiming we are better than we are...and perhaps help to ruin or derail efforts to mightly improve
                  our TEAM(play).

Who knows?

What we can say is Tappa made his changes and those changes resulted in our having clear chances to score - on at least 2 occasions.

It was not Tappa fault that Omar Daley headed poorly on goal or took a weak shot...or that Keammar Daley's shot from close in was blocked...or his snap shot went straight to US 'keeper Howard.
                  Last edited by Karl; June 20, 2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Karl, you have a tendency to be too wordy. Can you keep it short for me?

Are you saying that the unfortunate deflected goal was a result of poor instructions by Tappa?

Are you saying that the unfortunate sending off of Taylor was Tappa's doing?

...or are you saying Tappa asked Shelton to miss the open goal deliberately?
                    Where did you see me suggest any such things Karl? Were those the only reason why we lost the game? You have to look at the bigger picture to see our deficiencies, not the errors. We could have lost by a larger margin had it not been

Tell me what was done at the half to stem the inroads the USA was making into our half? This has to be addressed by the coach looking at his team's strategy and game tactics.

I think for this match, Tappa was tactically naive and did not have any answer to what Bradley threw at him. While saying that, it was still a learning experience for him and I am sure he would have learned from it.

Comment

Karl, please post replies as your own posts and not edit my post. You have to learn when the fire gets hot, not to get your wires crossed.
                      While your moderator privilege allows you to go in and possibly edit my post, you have to make sure of what you are doing.

When facts are presented some turn to personalities.
                      What facts were presented? Your opinions don't constitute facts Karl! Obviously you do not know what are facts.

Comment

Karl, you are blind or a really slow thinker. We came out tentative and gave the US too much respect. They game out crowding the middle and cutting off our passing game whilecoming at us with changing pace and players. Our coach watched all this happening and didnt make a change until 2/3rds of the game even though it was clear that we were getting beaten. Like Shelton, the US missed many chances before the first goal was scored. Tappa didn't make the necesary adjustments. He could have let Morrison play deeper and use their passing ability to move the ball around and knock US off their game. Their was a point in the first half where we knocked the ball round again and again and the US team stood at halfline and would not come for the ball. We could have done more of that and eventually they would strive forward and disrupt their game plan.
                        You asked if Tappa told the to come out tentative, no pronbably not. But the question is did he motivate them that they could win? Did he put them in the frameof mind to go out there and have the confidence to beat the US, fight for the ball, win 50/50 challenges etc? U Know that' a Coach's job right? And if the team looked dejected and timid it is also a reflection of the Coach.
                        Things Tappa could have done differently yesterday;
                        1) Make adjustments in the first half to counter US tactics like pushing for more possession by letting the team move the ball and Morrison rwho is better ball handler spend more time moving the ball around to fustrate the US
                        2) Making required adjustments at halftime, make a change to change the game. Jevaugh or Kemar should have been a halftime change to replace Austin or Morrison or Shelton.

Comment

wordy?!! karl!!!? nnnoooooooooooooooo...!! REALLY?!! i'm sure no one noticed!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You were not wordy Karl. In fact I think your submission was much too short. ...
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

hard to say.. if shelton finish the sitter mabye a different game. I do think a 3 central defenders system can have challenges if you are not retaining possesion

Comment

Working...
                              X