X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans wary of Jamaican threat

Americans wary of Jamaican threat

Saturday, June 18, 2011

WASHINGTON DC, USA (CMC) — United States are eyeing Jamaica's Reggae Boyz warily, especially in light of their own current dodgy form and the impressive first-round display from the Caribbean side.

The Americans finished second in Group C after being shocked 2-1 by Panama last Saturday, while Jamaica impressively swept their first-round matches to top Group B.

Jamaica head coach Theodore Whitmore, left, gives instructions to Ryan Johnson, right, and Omar Daley during the first half of a CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament soccer game at Red Bull Arena, Monday, June 13, 2011 in Harrison, New Jersey. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

They will now face each other in the first quarter-final here tomorrow, a clash US midfielder Landon Donovan said the hosts needed to approach carefully.

"They're playing very well. They're a good team," Donovan said.
    "They're certainly confident. We need to continue to improve. It's going to be a test for us."

He added: "The idea in a tournament is to get better as it goes. We're not a club team so we're not together all the time. You need time to build."

Jamaica crushed Grenada 4-0 in their opening game, brushed aside Guatemala 2-0 before getting a 1-0 victory over Honduras in their final outing on Monday.

Under coach Theodore Whitmore, Jamaica have played an impressive style of attacking football which ironically, US goalkeeper Tim Howard said could be a good sign for the Americans.

"They seem to be in a good rhythm. I actually think — careful what you wish for — that's the kind of game we need now," he noted.

"We need a game where the pace is hot, the tempo's high, teams that aren't staying in, they're coming out. That's what we probably need."

The USA's campaign got off to a smooth start with a 2-0 defeat of Canada, but hit a roadblock with the defeat to Panama. They then missed a plethora of chances in eking out a 1-0 win over Guadeloupe on Tuesday.

"I think the Panama game knocked some stuffing out of us. It was difficult. I don't know," he mused.

"We need to pull together, get to DC and get some training. I think it will be the first time we will be able to get some training together."

Jamaica's quarter-final berth was their first in six years.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1PgR0o6tp
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X