• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jury rules J'can goalie out of U-17 World Cup

jury rules J'can goalie out of U-17 World Cup

HOWARD WALKER @ the MEN’S UNDER-17 WORLD CUP IN MEXICO

Thursday, June 16, 2011

TOLUCA, Mexico — The dream of young goalkeeper Odean Clarke was shattered when he was informed that he would not be taking any active part in the World Cup because of an injury he suffered last Friday.

Clarke, of Muschett High School in Trelawny, collided with an opponent in Jamaica's 3-0 win over Reforma Athletics Club in a pre-World Cup game.

Odean Clarke being given oxygen by Dr Ivor O’Connor during Jamaica’s first training session at the pre-World Cup camp in Toluca last week. (Photo: Howard Walker)

Odean Clarke being given oxygen by Dr Ivor O’Connor during Jamaica’s first training session at the pre-World Cup camp in Toluca last week. (Photo: Howard Walker)

He suffered a cerebral concussion and was rushed to hospital where he spent the night and was released on Saturday evening after several tests were done.

Although Clarke is up and about and appears well, team physician Dr Ivor O'Connor recommended that he takes no further part in the tournament as a precaution after losing consciousness for approximately 55 minutes.

Disappointment was all over goalkeeper Clarke's face as news reached him that he would be replaced by Jemaugh Cunningham of Lennon High.

"I am felling well physically, but the doctor said I might feel well but I am not well, so I just have to work with what the doctor said," explained Clarke.

"I am really disappointed because I worked hard towards this World Cup. My main objective was to be a part of this World Cup team," added Clarke, as his voice broke cracked and he fought hard to hold back the tears.

"But now I am going through a phase of my life... it's very hard but I will just have to work through this one and come again for the Under-20s and probably the senior team," he told the Observer.

But all is not lost for Clarke, who will be staying on as part of the team and will be watching and rooting for his teammates from the sidelines.
    "I will be giving morale support and everything I can do to help the team," said the Holland United player.

Of his replacement, Cunningham, he said: "Basically I have a lot of experience over him, so basically if anything I can help him with, I am here to assist him."

Clarke has been a part of the Jamaica's Under-17 squad ever since and was the first-string goalkeeper while in Brazil on a six-week training stint from December to January.

He battled through injuries and adversaries and in February, he was given the nod in the first World Cup qualifier against Trinidad and Tobago in Montego Bay, which ended 2-2.

Clarke spilled a free-kick, resulting in T&T equalising before going ahead moments later. Jamaica battled back for a share of the points.

However, he was dropped for the second game against Guatemala as Jamaica won 1-0 and advanced to the quarter-final stage.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1PTpFHSRM
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Jury????. Feel it for him.

Comment

I wondered the same thing too.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

It should not come as a surprise,text book response to such an injury.What I did not understand was the rush to get him out of the hospital,we may hear more about that later.Now we do have three keepets on the squad right?

Comment

Working...
        X