FIFA to interview 25 Caribbean football association heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIFA to interview 25 Caribbean football association heads

FIFA to interview 25 Caribbean football association heads over bribery scandal (goal.com)

on Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 2:15pm

Allegations have been made stating that the chiefs were offered bribes of up to £25,000 in return for the backing of Mohammed Bin Hammam in last week's presidential election

Fifa have summoned 25 Caribbean football association chiefs to attend an interview in light of allegations that they were each offered a a $40,000 (£25,000) bribe by Fifa vice-president Jack Warner and AFC supremo Mohamed Bin Hammam.

Both Bin Hammam and Warner have been accused of offering the cash sum in exchange for votes for the former in the Fifa presidential elections, prior to Bin Hammam's withdrawal from the candidacy.

The interviews are to take place in Miami from July 7-9, and representatives of world football's governing body will be joined by officials from Freeh Group International Europe, the firm which will investigate the claims of bribery within the organisation.

Sky News has obtained a copy of the letter of invitation sent to the Caribbean officials, which reads as follows:

"Although you are under no obligation to attend such a meeting please be advised that the Fifa Ethics Committee may draw a negative inference in the event that you (i) do not make the arrangements sought herein, or (ii) do not attend the meeting requested.

"Furthermore we kindly remind you that as an official you have a duty of disclosure and reporting, including providing any evidence requested for inspection.''

One Caribbean chief has remarked that the agenda of the Ethics Committee has a bias towards the United States, with the venue and personnel involved leaning towards a US agenda.

Press Association Sport has revealed that the complaint asks for a different venue for the interviews, with Fifa president Sepp Blatter set to act as an impartial mediator.

"The investigation is tainted and biased and clearly has a US-driven agenda. [We need] a truly independent investigator and [to] secure a neutral venue for the interview of any Caribbean Football Union member other than the USA,'' the complaint reads.

Both Warner and Bin Hammam have been suspended until the enquiries are completed, but both continue to plead their innocence.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

this too, has certain points of contention btw....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

One Caribbean chief has remarked that the agenda of the Ethics Committee has a bias towards the United States, with the venue and personnel involved leaning towards a US agenda.

Press Association Sport has revealed that the complaint asks for a different venue for the interviews, with Fifa president Sepp Blatter set to act as an impartial mediator.

So is the story going to change depending on the venue? and Sepp Blatter has no business in attending, if FIFA has hired an investigator, I would expect that it is with the understanding that he/she will be impartial... if the complainant has nothing to hide, what is the issue? I'm sure Gamma will tell me

BTW...I would have no problems if they changed it to Kingston or Mobay
      Peter R

Comment

the investigator could make a difference. if they perceive that there is a us agenda nthey have every right to object to a us investigator .... use a more neutral one. i see nothing wrong with raising that objection.

the great right wing conspiracy and the perception that ken starr was furthering this agenda was an issue ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

isn't this about the alleged bribe by BH and JW primarily...I don't know so I am asking. Another question as I did not follow this part of developments: assuming the investigation is beyond as stated above, what are the possiblities that might be on a US agenda that Freeh might advance? and advance better by being in the US than say Kgn? Thanks.
          Peter R

Comment

blazer made the allegations .... yes it is about the alleged bribe.

Comment

Working...
            X