Did Jamaica show contender's form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jamaica show contender's form?

Jamaica passed its first test of the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup on Monday, although Grenada seemed more like a practice exam for the Reggae Boyz, who comfortably cruised to a 4-0 victory. The walkthrough nature of the match provided little insight as to whether Jamaica is the best team in Group B, let alone if the team is near the same class as the United States and Mexico.

Grenada failed to even produce a shot on goal in a match that saw Jamaica coast to a 2-0 lead at halftime before opening the game up in the second. Despite goal from Luton Shelton and Ryan Johnson, it was a fairly underwhelming first 45 minutes for a Jamaica team expected to compete for at least a berth in the semifinal.

The result was never in question, but Jamaica came out slow and, at times, lazy with errant passes. As a player it can be tough not to play down to inferior teams, something Jamaica clearly struggled with in the first half. Most of the team's possession came in the back and some mental lapses in the final third kept the game closer than it should have been at the half.

But that would change in the second half as Grenada grew tired and Jamaica's superiority began to show. Grenada's fatigue as a team gifted Jamaica time and space all across the pitch, something that should not happen against Honduras (or even Guatemala).

Most impressive about Jamaica was its ability to spread the field going forward. Demar Phillips had a great evening on the left flan,k and his spectacular spurt of individual brilliance that ended with a goal in the 79th minute was a reward for a solid effort on both sides of the ball.

Phillips' ability to stay wide to the touchline and his willingness to track back defensively made it possible for Jamaica to send numbers forward. Against a better team – especially at that semifinal stage at which Jamaica expects to be – that could leave the counter attack open to a technically and tactically stronger opposition. Some of those first half giveaways could prove particularly costly with Phillips, Dane Richards or Rodolph Austin pushed high into the attack and leaving space for the counter.

The good thing for Jamaica is that it has two more games before the knockout stage to iron out the kinks. One of those kinks is finishing, with Johnson guilty of botching on several opportunities throughout the match.

While the San Jose Earthquakes' striker did add his name to the score sheet in the 39th minute, he also blew a wide open back post header prior to the goal, and he failed to finish a breakaway in the final minutes, smacking the ball off the underside of the crossbar despite having more than enough time to make the right one-v-one decision against Grenada goalkeeper Shemel Louison.

Johnson will need to be sharper to help Jamaica in the coming matches, but if his teammates keep finishing goals like the clinical upper 90 volley from Omar Daley in the 84th minute, Johnson can live with a miss or two.

Richards and Shelton looked speedy and dangerous coming out of the midfield, and the Jamaican back line remained untested throughout the match. Despite many questions being left unanswered, head coach Theodore Whitmore will be happy with a 4-0 win. Simply, his team took care of business, which is exactly what it was supposed to do.

Jamaica is a team that is confident going forward but almost too eager to get wide immediately on the attack. Against the likes of Honduras and later on in potential matches with Mexico, Costa Rica or the United States, Jamaica's wide play will leave it exposed against far higher quality opponents.

In the end, the 4-0 victory is merely a tournament tune-up. A win over an always overmatched and, in the second half, definitely unfit Grenada team is far from an appropriate measuring stick for Jamaica's abilities.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

The Ryan Johnson shot that hit the underside of the X-bar seemed like it scored to me. It was a well taken attempt and he cant be faulted for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
      The result was never in question, but Jamaica came out slow and, at times, lazy with errant passes. As a player it can be tough not to play down to inferior teams, something Jamaica clearly struggled with in the first half. Most of the team's possession came in the back and some mental lapses in the final third kept the game closer than it should have been at the half.

Some of those first half giveaways could prove particularly costly with Phillips, Dane Richards or Rodolph Austin pushed high into the attack and leaving space for the counter.

The good thing for Jamaica is that it has two more games before the knockout stage to iron out the kinks. One of those kinks is finishing, with Johnson guilty of botching on several opportunities throughout the match.

While the San Jose Earthquakes' striker did add his name to the score sheet in the 39th minute, he also blew a wide open back post header prior to the goal, and he failed to finish a breakaway in the final minutes, smacking the ball off the underside of the crossbar despite having more than enough time to make the right one-v-one decision against Grenada goalkeeper Shemel Louison.

Jamaica is a team that is confident going forward but almost too eager to get wide immediately on the attack. Against the likes of Honduras and later on in potential matches with Mexico, Costa Rica or the United States, Jamaica's wide play will leave it exposed against far higher quality opponents.

In the end, the 4-0 victory is merely a tournament tune-up. A win over an always overmatched and, in the second half, definitely unfit Grenada team is far from an appropriate measuring stick for Jamaica's abilities.
      But I thought it was a perfect performance?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

dat shoulda berry! you can chat now, because wi wenna lead! mek a did 0-0 di match finish!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You nuh hear the boss Tappa say that him nuh fully satisfied.

Not enough possession in the right areas
          Missing goals
          And speed of play
          On top of that him see Daley as the man to take the "Whitmore role"

Comment

But when I read your posts on this forum, di Reggae Boyz woulda did beat Barca di odda day!!

Is not suh it really did go?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Barca? My post? You mean Ben, Sassin and whoever make the thread about revolution.

The limitations of some of our footballers is still evident. They played a good game and will have to improve against some of the better sides.

Comment

Mexico is a problem,Theo comments were spot on,identifying the cracks it the start to fixing them.It was a great performance though.

Comment

Unnu can gwaan talk, Even Barca make mistakes too.
                  Why should Tappa be pleased? You think a Dowswell whe even when we lose by 6 him still please.

The USA vs Canada game yesterday wasn't a real fast pace game either so what that say?

Man the man them look good and we can iron kinks but it was a very good performance.

The man dem not even take a good shot on we goalie, we had about 70% possession and scored 4 goals. There are times when our team play that people don't even have fi tackle fi we give away the ball and times we look like headless chicken.

THAT WASN'T THE CASE. Ball Rooolll.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

we will know soon enough ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

On top of that him see Daley as the man to take the "Whitmore role"
                      Remember, there are two Daleys on the team. Omar and Keammar.
                      I liked what I saw from Keammar for the brief time he was on. BTW, what is the "Whitmore role"? To make some brilliant plays, then dissapear for he remainder of the match?
                      Before unuh attack mi, ah joke me ah mek!!
                      I loved Whitmore as a Reggae Boy, especially when he played in the 90s.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Yes and No!

Yes!
                        Pros: i) Chances created. ii) First Jamaica senior team I have seen since the particular matches vs USA at RFK 1998 qualifier and vs Brazil at the Gold Cup in 1997 (I think) that played TEAM game. iii) The distribution of pace (speed across ground) in the team.

No!
                        Against: i) Gave away the ball too easily by Shelton and the TEAM as a whole. ii) Defenders not meeting the ball at crucial times.

The problem of giving away the ball too easily will against better teams i.e. Mexico lead to our not getting it back anywhere near as often as Grenada coughed up.

The loss of possession can translate into "goals against". It cetainly shall mean less opportunities for creation of chances.

The matter of not meeting the ball - particularly 'high balls'...definitely shall lead to goals against when high quality teams are met.

If Shelton reduces number of times he attempts 'fancy footwork to beat opposing players and instead goes for the TEAM passing...his and thus TEAM turnovers will deminish...and guess what? ...his and his TEAMmates possession and chances to score shall go up. ...and more easy chances shall come their way.

The high balls situation...i.e. allowing the ball to fall to the ground with attackers around is a serious...serious...serious matter.

As mi seh managing a TEAM after having it playing well...is being able to recognise problems when the results are going well and fix them before the TEAM suffers....fix them such that good results keep on coming!

Possession and goals are key!

(concerns) Turning over the ball easily limits TEAM goalscoring opportunities and improves your opponents goalscoring opportunities.

Loved the display of effort on TEAM! ...good start. We should be waaaaaaaaaaay better come World Cup qualifiers!!!!

Tappa mi seh!
                        Last edited by Karl; June 8, 2011, 12:03 PM.
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

you can't joke with Jawge and Ben them way deh at all
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I know and I still expect the repercussions to come even after saying I was not serious.
                            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

He wants K. Daley for that role.

Comment

Working...
                              X