RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grenada has nine England-based players in the 23-man roster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grenada has nine England-based players in the 23-man roster.

During its Gold Cup debut two years ago, not only did not Grenada get as much as a draw, it didn't even score a goal.

It's a situation "Spice Boys" Mike Adams is intent on changing this time around.

"Confidence and naivety. I think at the international level you can't make the mistakes that you would make at the local league and I think that comes down to concentration and habits and decision making," Adams said about 2009.

Adams, who coached the side in 2009 and returned in February to replace Franklyn Simpson, took immediate steps to infuse talent by selecting nine England-based players to his 23-man roster.

Among them are defenders Benedict Modeste (Queen's Park Rangers), David Cyrus (Ossett Town), Leon Johnson (Wycombe Wanderers FC); midfielders Ricky Charles (Queen's Park Rangers), Patrick Modeste (Queen's Park Rangers); and forwards Delroy Facey (Lincoln City FC), Bradley Bubb (Farnborough), Marcus Julien (ESS) and Anthony Straker (Aldershot Town).

"At this level of the game, it's obviously something we want to be able to play players who have had experience at that level of the game or as close to. I think that is really what influences our involvement with so many overseas players," Adams said.

"They bring professionalism to the camp. We have a lot of local players that have a lot of raw and natural ability, on ability they match up with anybody, but the professionals come with the right decision making attributes, the right habits and so mixing the two is what gives you the right elements."

Facey, who has recovered from a shoulder injury, will be expected to carry the offense, with Kithson Bain unavailable due to injury and New England Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joseph also pulling out.

While the England-based players will form the crux of the starting lineup, Adams also named some youngsters, such as Straker, who will be involved in 2012 Olympic qualifying.

Unfortunately for Adams, he could not secure players such as Everton's Jermaine Beckford, who is focusing on his wedding in June.

The Spice Boys are coming off a second straight appearance in the Caribbean Cup semifinals, where they fell to Jamaica.

Along the way, they upset traditional regional power Trinidad and Tobago, and drew with fellow Gold Cup qualifier Cuba, while conceding just five goals in six games under Simpson.

Grenada will again face Jamaica, slotted with the Reggae Boyz in Group B alongside Central American champion Honduras and Guatemala.

"We can't be complacent because I think everybody in that group looking at our group will fancy their chances of going through because when you look at the other two groups, you would say that our group looks to be the more comfortable group," Adams said. "So I think what we don't want to do is make any assumptions and play like it's the toughest group."

And with few expectations, some on Grenada think that's a good thing.

"For a lot of the players, funny enough, it's no pressure," said midfielder Craig Rocastle, who plays for Sporting KC. "Us going to the tournament, we call our ourselves 'silent assassins, ' because we're the underdogs, we're supposed to lose. So the pressure and onus is off of us in the games, and we can concentrate on actually winning the games without any added pressure on us."

Adams believes that Grenada qualified for the Gold Cup despite not having a domestic league is an amazing achievement. He credits his players, who now know what to expect and will come in with a different mindset.

"You can expect to see a team that will go out and play with confidence and passion," said Adams.

"When you get to this stage of the competition, we got nothing to lose, so I want the players to go out there and play the game with a smile on their face and make the Grenadian public proud and football community across the world look up at us and say, 'wow, they may not have the resources, but they certainly try to do things the right way.'"

CONCACAF.com
    Confederation of North, Central American
    & Caribbean Association Football
    June 1, 2011
    by Vijay Setlur

Somehow I think the CONCACAF writers confused about a couple of the players. The Rangers some of them man play for is the one in Grenada, not England.

Anyhow, thank goodness Bain is not playing (and Jason Roberts). Our defenders have consistently struggled against him.

Comment

Shari Josephs has turned his back on Grenada to stay at his MLS club
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
      X