• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owen stays

Striker Michael Owen signs new Manchester United deal

IN ASSOCIATION WITH
    BBC.adverts.write

Page last updated at 09:08 GMT, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 10:08 UK

United manager Ferguson has reaffirmed his faith in Owen Michael Owen has signed a new one-year contract to stay at Manchester United.
    The 31-year-old striker, whose deal was set to expire, had expressed his desire to prolong his career at Old Trafford.

"Delighted to be staying for another year. Thanks for all your messages," said the former Liverpool star on social networking site Twitter.

Owen spent much of the season on the sidelines at United, behind Wayne Rooney, Javier Hernandez and Dimitar Berbatov in the pecking order.

Continue reading the main story
    To play alongside so many great players, under an exceptional manager and in front of so many passionate supporters is a real inspiration
    Michael Owen
    He was given a place on the bench for Saturday's Champions League final defeat against Barcelona at Wembley but only made 17 appearances during the 2010/2011 campaign, scoring five goals.

Owen, who has made 89 appearances for England, joined United on a free transfer after spells at Real Madrid and Newcastle following his exit from Anfield in 2004.

"Michael has proved to be a top footballer," stated United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. "It is unfortunate that he did not get more opportunities but the form of Hernandez put everyone in the shade and his partnership with Rooney proved invaluable.

"I am delighted Michael is staying for a further year and we will look to give him more opportunities in the new season."

The news casts doubt over the future of Bulgarian Berbatov, who, despite scoring 20 goals in the league this season, was not even on the bench against Barca.

But Owen added: "I am delighted to have agreed a one-year extension and I cannot wait for next season to start.

"To play alongside so many great players, under an exceptional manager and in front of so many passionate supporters is a real inspiration."
    Last edited by Karl; June 1, 2011, 09:51 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

He is content to be a bench warmer at this stage in his career and it is a reflection of his diminished skills.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

WHY?????
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

On the contrary. I expect to see him become more of a factor if he remains healthy next season. You can't teach instincts, plus he is inspired with the likes of Giggs and Scholes playing so long.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

for the next CL finals against barca ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Him tink him name Van der Sar? that event is a decade or few away...
            Peter R

Comment

the fact is he has had a lot of injury and the last year and a half may have given him a extra spring in his step. I am looking for him to contribute a little more in the next year.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
              X