Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dem never hear bout Tappa Whitmore?

Sullivan: I regret ever hiring Grant

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan has expressed his regret over the appointment of Avram Grant last summer, labelling it a "bad selection" by the board.

GettyImagesDavid Sullivan: Tried to replace Grant with Martin O'Neill in January

Grant, was hired by the Hammers last May despite having just led Portsmouth to relegation from the Premier League, and he repeated the feat this term - with West Ham rarely leaving the bottom three all season and eventually going down on Sunday after a 3-2 defeat at Wigan.

The Israeli was sacked by co-owners Sullivan and David Gold within an hour of the final whistle and leaves Upton Park with an unimpressive record, which has seen him spend 67 of the past 71 weeks in the relegation zone with Pompey and then the Hammers.

Sullivan and Gold sounded out Martin O'Neill about replacing Grant in January but after being snubbed they ended up giving the former Chelsea boss an unconvincing vote of confidence.

"The entire board is 100% behind Avram," Sullivan told ESPNsoccernet in January. "He is a really decent person who deserves our support."

While Sullivan still believes Grant is a favourable character, the Hammers co-owner says that, in retrospect, hiring him was the wrong decision.

"Avram is a lovely person but the results sadly speak for themselves that it was a bad selection by the board,'' Sullivan told The Sun. "We all share some blame for the results - the board, the manager and the team.

"However, the team can only play the tactics and formation they are asked to play. We want a manager who will get the best out of the squad and foster a strong team spirit.''

Sullivan also moved to ease fears that relegation from the top flight would have dire financial implications for the club.

"Debts will fall as we [the owners] will put in more money,'' he said. The financial burden to us and our families will rise, not the debts of the club.''
    Last edited by Karl; May 18, 2011, 03:39 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

... yet they waited until the team got relegated before firing him?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

What's the relevance mentioning Tappa's name?
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Maybe to say Grant was not the worst choice they could have made
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Them listen to Karl and fire Zola and higher rubbish Avram.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post

The management is as much to be blamed than Grant. West ham spent most of the season in the bottom 3 and they didn't see the need to fire him until they got relegated?

Personally I hope after Daglish get fired Liverpool hire Grant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              The management is as much to be blamed than Grant. West ham spent most of the season in the bottom 3 and they didn't see the need to fire him until they got relegated?

Personally I hope after Daglish get fired Liverpool hire Grant.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                Listen to Karl?

I touted the hiring of Grant? ...I like the syle of play he tried to implement...but notice I said - tried to implement!!!!

Seems his problem is that he is not a motivator. They certainly had the quality players to, with determined and committed play remain in the league.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                X