• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISSA should rethink

ISSA should rethink
    ON THE SPORTING EDGE
    PAUL REID
    Thursday, May 12, 2011

LAST week, the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) issued an edict mandating that henceforth schoolboy football players — we assume schoolgirls as well — called to a national team must give written reasons if they chose not to take up the offer.

According to the joint release from the JFF and the Inter-Secondary schools Sports Association (ISSA), the response must be in writing on the school's letter head and "signed by his or her parent or legal guardian and co-signed by the principal of the school".

Former St James High players Ricardo Morris (left) and Allan Ottey.

Failure to do so will result in that player been barred from playing for the school team for the duration of the call-up, the JFF also said.
    I don't know about anyone else but this strikes me as patently undemocratic and overbearing.

While I am not surprised the JFF would have made such a declaration, I am shocked that the sensible people at ISSA went along with it.

In any democracy, citizens are free to choose how they conduct their business as long as they don't break the law or cause undue inconvenience to others.

I accept that it is an honour to represent one's country in any thing, especially sports.

However, there are a few instances where one might choose to turn down an 'invite' to a national football team. I believe that on those rare occasions, that person's right to choose should be respected.

I have no doubt this 'knee jerk' reaction came out of last year's refusal by two St James High players, Allan Ottey and Ricardo Morris, to accept an invitation to train with the national senior team at a crucial period of the daCosta Cup season.

Both players had also just returned from an extended period of training and competition overseas with the national Under-20 team and the school at the time, expressed concern about their academic performance.

At the time I was in total agreement with St James High's stated principles and if given the choice right now, I would still agree.

Given the importance of academics, it was a surprise that a few months later both boys were withdrawn from school in January at the end of the schoolboy football season. They have since been playing professional football with Portmore United and we can only hope their schoolwork is not being neglected and that they will be sitting external exams with their peers.

But let's get back to the real issue. For teenagers, no sporting endeavour -- even for the national team -- can be more important than their educational pursuit and if it means turning down an invitation to a national team, one should not need to go through the red tape that the JFF is now implementing.

Sure, it sounds simple on the surface, but what will the JFF be asking next from our schoolchildren.

I think ISSA needs to rethink their position and distance themselves from this onerous stance taken by the JFF.

While we are on the subject of student athletes, one quick question from the Penn Relays held in Philadelphia two weeks ago: Why were members of The Queens School 4x100m team allowed to run in see-through shorts, exposing matching underwear?

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...#ixzz1M9c74kPs
    Last edited by Karl; May 12, 2011, 02:11 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Damn, Sickko?

I agree the article was needed and that it was bang on...but for that part about the Queens girls see-through lower garments.

Why that last distracting paragraph?

...and did they really appear naked from the waist down ? ...a ploy to put off the opposing teams? What will these coaches and teachers...students and parents think of next?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I am told it is a civic duty to serve on a jury,the JFF created a situation that gives itself undue importance and authority. There is hardly anything we can do to stop them from arrogating even more powers because FIFA demands that football matters are outside the realms of government regulations.JFF elections offer no hope because of their dynamics.

Comment

You agree with my opinion??? Oh Lord where did I go wrong? Am I being readied for my room at Shady Pines too????

Oh WOE IS ME.....
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Nothing to do with Democracy.

This fall more along the lines of service to country...

Comment

We never had the draft
            Che Guevara.

Comment

good.. so this should make up for it..

Unnuh get wheh and ah complain ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                You agree with my opinion??? Oh Lord where did I go wrong? Am I being readied for my room at Shady Pines too????

Oh WOE IS ME.....
                I agree with you too often
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                  I am told it is a civic duty to serve on a jury,the JFF created a situation that gives itself undue importance and authority. There is hardly anything we can do to stop them from arrogating even more powers because FIFA demands that football matters are outside the realms of government regulations.JFF elections offer no hope because of their dynamics.
                  ...or trying to take onto themselves powers and rights. The football powers will push the envelope. It it for the institutions and people to tell them where to get off! ...lay down the 'line in sand'.

Comment

why does "disagree" equate to "complain" for those in power?
                    Peter R

Comment

com·plain/kəmˈplān/Verb
                      1. Express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event

If di cap fit...

Comment

disagree especially # 2
                        to fail to agree; differ: The conclusions disagree with the facts. The theories disagree in their basic premises.
                        to differ in opinion; dissent: Three of the judges disagreed with the verdict.

okiedokie? :
                        Peter R

Comment

I know complaining when I see it...

It is usually colored with hyperbole.. "Nazi", "Mafiosi", "Madness", "illegal".. etc

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                            Nothing to do with Democracy.

This fall more along the lines of service to country...
                            It has nothing to do with democracy? Maybe, but it does have everything to do with individual freedom, especially in a country where "service to country" is voluntary. Until there is a law requiring "service to country" this smacks of not only authoritarianism, but worse -- stupidity.

I can't wait 'til the Jamaica Cesspool Association issues their own decree regarding call ups to Jamaican Barca fans. Boy will you be in the sh*thouse then!!
                            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X