Hey FIFA: Try Some Transparency, Read This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey FIFA: Try Some Transparency, Read This

Instead of FIFA spending millions of dollars for a high tech system to determine
    whether or not the ball actually crossed the goal line, I have been pushing for a much simpler and less expensive video-review system, similar to that in the National Hockey League.

All NHL video reviews are decided by the league office in Toronto, officially called
    "the situation room", nicknamed "the war room" The war room monitors all games in progress. For soccer, the video replay official, likely a retired referee, would be at the stadium in the press box.

Here's the transparency part: The NHL posts a report of all video reviews on its web site, including the time, the issue, and whether video confirmed or reversed the call.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=64

Did you see Chelsea's first goal v Spurs? I am not convinced either way... we cannot clearly see whether the whole ball was over or not as the goal-post blocked the final view... a camera or cameras would have to be set up inside the goal posts i would think that would monitor whether the ball crossed or not... and if the goalie or a player were blocking the camera some policy would have to be instituted.

In the NHL model for review, how quick is the turn around time for confirmation?
    Peter R

Comment

Turnaround: One To Five Minutes

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
      Did you see Chelsea's first goal v Spurs? I am not convinced either way... we cannot clearly see whether the whole ball was over or not as the goal-post blocked the final view... a camera or cameras would have to be set up inside the goal posts i would think that would monitor whether the ball crossed or not... and if the goalie or a player were blocking the camera some policy would have to be instituted.

In the NHL model for review, how quick is the turn around time for confirmation?
      In the NHL, the turnaround is from one to five minutes, depending on the issue. Often, it is just a signal from the scorer's table to the referee to hold the faceoff for a few seconds to take one more look at the video, then another signal to go ahead and re-start the game without going to a full review.

NHL Rule 38 - Video Goal Judge http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26326
      NHL Rule 78.6 - Goals - Video Review http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26489

A shot off the goal post (no goal) or into the net, off the back post, and quickly out take the least time. Other issues, such as a puck barely across the line before being pulled out during a wild scramble, take more time.

There is a camera mounted inside the net, and another in the rafters looking along the goal line, plus whatever TV broadcast angles are available.

By rule, in order for the original call made by the referee to be reversed, VIDEO EVIDENCE MUST BE CONCLUSIVE. If the video is inconclusive, the referee's original call must stand. There is no time limit on a review. Only the referee or replay official can request a review.
      Last edited by Bruce; May 5, 2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Sounds pretty reasonable to me... and all this talk about expensive technology is a bunch of smoke and mirrors; the existing cameras filming football matches already do a fairly good job of clarifying (for TV viewers at least) many contentious calls... and now FIFA says they are re-considering it and a decision will be made in (June?) 2012!! Give me a break!
        Peter R

Comment

Working...
        X