• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsene out? Woj you talking about!

Arsene out? Woj you talking about!

By CHARLIE WYETT
    Published: 03 May 2011

WOJCIECH SZCZESNY insists it is "ridiculous" that some Arsenal fans want Arsene Wenger to leave the club.

And the Polish keeper also says he would not understand if team-mate Cesc Fabregas fancied a move back to Barcelona.

Despite the 1-0 win over Manchester United on Sunday, Arsenal are set to finish the season without a trophy for a sixth successive year.

Wenger has enjoyed a fiercely loyal support from the club's fans.

Yet after a disappointing end to the campaign, which saw the club's hopes of a quadruple crumble in spectacular style, some Gooners are becoming increasingly frustrated - with a minority wanting a change of boss.

Szczesny rapped: "It's ridiculous. If you ask any of the players, we will all stand by the manager.

"He built this team from nothing and he's the best manager in the world, so I don't understand why anyone would want him to leave.

"We all take individual responsibilities for our mistakes and everyone has played their part in this season's disappointments. I think we just have to take it as a team.

"You can't blame the boss because he stood by the team all season and supported us.

"We have a young team and have a lot of years in front of us, and a lot of trophies to win.

"Let's be patient and show next year we are good enough to win the League."

As for club skipper Fabregas, team-mate Bacary Sagna revealed he would understand if the Spaniard wanted to return home to Barcelona.

Yet Szczesny said: "I wouldn't understand leaving Arsenal because I believe being at this club is the best thing in the world, so no, I wouldn't understand leaving."

Szczesny, 21, who has established himself as Arsenal's No 1, made some keys saves in the win over United, which now sees the leaders just three points ahead of Chelsea.

He added: "There was less pressure on us and we played with the handbrake off, and we really enjoyed our game and that made a difference.

"Also we defended very, very solidly, which wasn't the case in the last few weeks.

'RIDICULOUS' ... Arsenal keeper Wojciech Szczesny blasts criticism of Arsene Wenger

"It was a great result and a terrific performance, and it's exactly what we needed right now.

"Realistically, the championship chances were already over but we wanted to play for pride and show we are good enough to challenge Man United. We deserved to win."

While United have won just five matches away from home this season, Szczesny concedes that Alex Ferguson's side have been the more consistent.

He said: "They didn't drop silly points like we did in the last couple of weeks, which made a difference.

"They have been the most consistent side and that's why they are top of the table."

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b9hmD
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X