Guardiola loses his cool in response to Mourinho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardiola loses his cool in response to Mourinho

MADRID — Jose Mourinho's off-field tactics appear to be taking a toll on Pep Guardiola as the normally composed Barcelona coach snapped Tuesday, launching a tirade of expletives against his Real Madrid counterpart ahead of their Champions League semifinal.

Mourinho, speaking earlier Tuesday, had accused Guardiola of going too far in criticizing the nationality of a possible referee for Wednesday's first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium. Mourinho said Guardiola's allegation that referee Pedro Proenca would play out well for the fellow Portuguese coach meant "we now enter a new phase of criticizing the origin of a referee. I've never seen this before."

While German referee Wolfgang Stark was finally appointed for Wednesday's game, Guardiola did not take kindly to Mourinho's remarks, including allegations that calls often seem to go Barcelona's way since a semifinals victory at Chelsea in 2009 when a late penalty was not given.

"He's the (expletive) boss, the (expletive) master and I can't compete with him at any instant," Guardiola said at the Bernabeu. "Off the field he's already beaten me. I gift him this off-field Champions League prize, I hope he takes it home and enjoys it.

"I'd just remind him that that we worked together for four years."

Guardiola was a player when Mourinho worked as an assistant with the Catalan club in the late 1990s.

Any love has been lost since last year's semifinal when Mourinho's Inter Milan knocked Barcelona out at this same stage with the Portuguese coach hitting out at Barcelona's obsession of winning the Champions League at the Bernabeu.

Mourinho has also been keen to point out that his teams — which play a physical, bruising style against Barcelona — often finish with 10 men against the Catalans, including the last four games stretching back to his time with Inter.

Guardiola said his remarks about a Barcelona goal that was waived away offside in Madrid's 1-0 Copa del Rey extra-time victory over Barcelona last week were not intended as criticism but solely to complement the referee's work.

The pressure of four "clasicos" in 18 days may also be taking their tall, especially as Mourinho's Madrid finally beat a Guardiola-coached Barcelona team in its seventh attempt.

Guardiola was so animated that at one point when asked about Mourinho in English, the coach reverted to Spanish because he was so flustered.

Guardiola said he had to respond after Mourinho made it personal earlier Tuesday by calling him "Pep."

"I respond to him because it's the first time he says Pep — we normally talk in general terms and it's the first time he says Pep so I say Jose. I have to respond," Guardiola said. "Today is the first time (I respond). If he says Pep, I will continue and I will say 'Hey Jose.'"

Guardiola was aware that his outburst was far from conventional.

"(But) if Barca wants someone to compete (in news conferences) then they should hire another coach. As a person and an institution we don't do that," Guardiola added.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...89805157_x.htm

Jose stirs up El Clasico - Guardiola in X-rated rant at Mourinho mind games

By MATT BARLOW
    Last updated at 1:51 AM on 27th April 2011
    When it comes to stirring up trouble, you have to admire his creative drive. Not content with a verbal attack on Pep Guardiola on the eve of tonight's semi-final, Jose Mourinho managed to summon Albert Einstein and Mark Halsey into the equation.

This is El Clasico 2011, Part 3. Real Madrid versus Barcelona, and it has already erupted into a slanging match, with Guardiola reacting angrily to taunts from Mourinho with an X-rated rant about the Special One.

Seasoned Barca-watchers had to confess they had never seen the mild-mannered Catalan so furious as he hit back at a theory aired by Mourinho, earlier in the day, in which he accused Guardiola of constant moaning at referees, even when they make the right decisions.

Head to head: Mourinho (left) and Guardiola (right) have clashed ahead of the Champions League semi-final

'Until now there were two types of coaches,' said Mourinho. 'A very small group, who don't talk about referees, and a very large group, in which I am included, who don't control their frustrations and criticise referees when they make big mistakes and who are very happy to praise the great work referees can do.

'Now, with Pep, we have come to a new era with a third group, a group of one person, who criticises the good decisions made by the referee. I have never seen this before in the world of football.'

It refers to last week's Copa del Rey final (El Clasico 2011, Part 2, featuring Sergio Ramos and the dropped cup). Real won 1-0 in extra-time but Barcelona had a 'goal' ruled out for offside, a correct decision but a tight one.

Guardiola suggested his team would have won but for one linesman's 'good eyesight'. The remark was pounced upon by an expert in the art of mischief but Guardiola was not impressed.

Best of friends? Mourinho and Guardiola have become enemies despite working together early in their careers

The Barcelona boss said: 'Off the pitch, in the press conference room, Mr Mourinho is the f****** leader, the f****** boss, the person who knows everything about the world and I do not want to compete with him.
    'He can have his championship off the pitch, take it home and enjoy it. Let him read Albert Einstein, let him read what is written by the friends of Florentino Perez (Real's president). We are happier with smaller victories on the pitch.'

The managers worked together at the Nou Camp, when Mourinho was a young coach on the backroom staff and Guardiola was near the end of his playing days. Now they are bitter enemies.

Can he kick it? Guardiola takes some time out from training ahead of the clash at the Bernabeu

Mourinho has baited him all season and finally hit the target. Just as his words triggered feuds in the past with Arsene Wenger, Rafael Benitez and Carlo Ancelotti, the Portuguese coach struck again, daring to challenge the traditional view of Real as the establishment's favourite team.

He used memories of Barcelona's Tom Henning Ovrebo-assisted win at Chelsea, which he dubbed 'the Scandal of Stamford Bridge', and red cards for Arsenal's Robin van Persie and Inter Milan's Thiago Motta at the Nou Camp.

He also accused UEFA of double standards, allowing Andres Iniesta to pick up a yellow card for time-wasting in the quarter-final first leg against Shakhtar Donetsk, when his team were four goals ahead.

Final countdown: Mourinho shares a joke with his players during the final training session before the semi-final

The inference here is that Iniesta was not subject to the same scrutiny as Real's Ramos and Xabi Alonso, who deliberately got booked for time-wasting in a group game at Ajax to soak up a ban in a meaningless match and clean the disciplinary slate for the knockout stage.

UEFA banned the pair for an extra game and punished others at Real for their parts in the scam. Iniesta is injured but Guardiola has no-one near suspension. Mourinho has Ricardo Carvalho banned and four, including Ronaldo, one yellow card from missing the second leg.

'We should ask why some teams can do certain things and others can't,' said Mourinho, a manager once branded the 'enemy of football' by UEFA referees' committee chairman Volker Roth following his public comments about Anders Frisk after a game at the Nou Camp, which hastened the retirement of the Swedish referee.

Enlarge
    'I am not a friend of referees,' said Mourinho. 'I have one referee who is my friend - Mark Halsey. Since he had his health problem I became close to him. I gave support to his cancer charity and we started a relationship.'

Germany's Wolfgang Stark is in charge tonight. 'I have no problem with Stark,' insisted Mourinho. 'I wish him luck. Both teams should be happy with the referee's work. Although with Pep it seems impossible.'

Barcelona's 5-0 win in November seems a world away. At the moment, this is a street-fight, not football, which improves Real's chances.

The Catalans have an eight-point lead in La Liga but Mourinho started to shift the dynamic with a 1-1 draw in the Bernabeu 11 days ago (El Clasico 2011 Part 1, featuring two penalties and suspiciously long grass).

Tonight, Guardiola is without Iniesta and has problems at left back in the absence of Eric Abidal, Maxwell and Adriano, which could force him to play Carles Puyol there, himself just back from injury.

'I'm the same boss who lost 5-0,' said Mourinho. 'I don't have a magic trick. What I've said to my players is this, and these are not my words, they are the words of Alberto. Alberto Einstein. The only force more powerful than steam, electricity and atomic energy is human will. And this guy, Alberto, is not stupid. With will, you can do anything.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1KgKsEYi2
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Classless...
      Peter R

Comment

Which part is the classless part?

Comment

two a dem! "eff word" jus leggo suh?

but moreso Mourinho... when you can't win on the field do everything else. Very deliberate... plus "suspiciously long grass", but that I don't have a major problem with if there is no rule violation.
          Peter R

Comment

Working...
          X