• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolton 2 - 1 Arsenal

Bolton 2 - 1 Arsenal

Arsenal's frustration was plain to see at the Reebok on Sunday

By Phil Dawkes

Arsenal's title challenge is all but over after they were beaten by a last-minute goal at Bolton.
    The Gunners were below-par in the first half and trailed at half-time to Daniel Sturridge's header following a corner.

Early in the second half, Wojciech Szczesny saved a Kevin Davies penalty and a minute later Robin van Persie slotted in an equaliser for Arsenal.
    The visitors had enough chances to win the match but were left shell-shocked by Tamir Cohen's late header.

After wins for league-leaders Manchester United and rejuvenated challengers Chelsea on Saturday, the equation was a simple one for Arsenal: win, or essentially wave goodbye to this year's title challenge and their last remaining hopes of silverware.

Three points here would have left the Gunners knowing that victory over United at the Emirates next Sunday would have taken them to within three points of the leaders, but they now trail Sir Alex Ferguson's men by nine points with only 12 to play for.

Having spent much of the season as United's closest challengers for the league, Arsenal now face a battle to secure second, with Chelsea holding a three-point lead and a superior goal-difference over them.

There was a time, not long ago, when Arsenal's performances at the Reebok represented a central tenet of the argument that Arsene Wenger's side were a soft-touch.

Three successive victories in a run of eight straight wins in total over Bolton prior to Sunday had helped diminish accusations of their physical fallibility.

But doubts remain about the Gunners mental strength, which was further fuelled by their sacrificing of a two-goal lead in last Wednesday's 3-3 draw at north London rivals Tottenham, and will now come under the severest scrutiny.

This is not to suggest that a victory in Lancashire would have flattered them. They fashioned enough chances in the second half alone to comfortably win the game. The fact that they did not, when you suspect their rivals would have, is telling.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

GUNNERS?
    Just not good enough.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I guess not being in second place changes Wenger's perspective regarding having a successful season,he should not have allowed himself to be drawn in to that discussion,and used second place as the indicator of success.They will have Pool and Man C to contend with,as the predictable EPL redefines itself.

Comment

Is Lazie top League dis ?

Bolton ?

lol ! woiee !

Yuh can imagine Barca or Real Madrid a lose to Bolton !?

lol !

Comment

The team needs reinforcements to win the EPL & the youth movement can not win a championship.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

7 seasons counting and still a talk bout kids.....kissteth...wenger fi get sack and rafa fi tek im place
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
              Is Lazie top League dis ?

Bolton ?

lol ! woiee !

Yuh can imagine Barca or Real Madrid a lose to Bolton !?

lol !
              Maudib, your analysis is flawed. RM lost this year to Osasuna and Sporting Gijon, two clubs that wouldn't even be in the top 15 Prem clubs in terms of payroll.

The FACT of the matter is that La Liga is basically a 2 club league. La Liga payroll figures (average weekly wage) for the top 12 clubs based on 2010 figures is:

Barcelona $152,130
              Real Madrid $141,474
              Valencia $56,302
              A. Madrid $49,803
              Sevilla $46,704
              Villarreal $31,136
              A. Bilbao $28,718
              Real Betis $24,335
              Espanyol $23,050
              Mallorca $20,103
              Osasuna $18,969
              Santander $18,364

The top 12 (avg weekly wages per player) in the prem are:

Chelsea $115,783
              M City $112,761
              M United $98,196
              Liverpool $94,920
              Arsenal $91,505
              Aston Villa $74,004
              Newcastle $64,821
              Portsmouth $55,307
              West Ham $48,420
              Spurs $45,476
              Everton $42,780
              Sunderland $40,230

The larger payrolls in the prem is a major reason why it is so much more competitive than its counter part in Spain and YES, I can see Real Madrid getting beaten by Bolton, but of course, I could say that for Osasuna as well.

PM
              "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

You can't go off of payroll. La Liga is a two team league for the most part, with one or two teams disturbing the order everynow and them.

However, a team like Osasuna, one spot above relegation, is far superior to Wigan, Wolves, WBA, Blackburn, Stoke etc.

The upper half of the EPL is stronger, but the lower half in Spain is superior to that of England.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                  You can't go off of payroll. La Liga is a two team league for the most part, with one or two teams disturbing the order everynow and them.

However, a team like Osasuna, one spot above relegation, is far superior to Wigan, Wolves, WBA, Blackburn, Stoke etc.

The upper half of the EPL is stronger, but the lower half in Spain is superior to that of England.
                  Me, on what basis can you make the statement that "the lower half in Spain is superior to that of England"? There is no data that you have to support that other than your own bias.

The fact of the matter is that payroll IS a decidedly steady and reliable indicator. Who do you think has the number one and two payrolls in Italy, Scotland and Germany? It is consistent, year in year out with a little disruption now and again.

One can therefore use payroll to extrapolate to the bottom half. The fact of the matter is that Prem clubs - even in the majority of the bottom half - have much bigger payrolls than clubs in Spain.

However, because these teams have no opportunity other than pre-season to play each other, we can't base it on performance so this is an argument that cannot be won except for one thing: there is no question the Premiership is a far more competitive league than La Liga.

Just look at the performance of the top 4 clubs (barca 88 points, rm 80 points, valencia 63 points, villareal 57 points) compared to the top 4 in the Prem - (manu** 73, chelski 67, Arsenal 64, City 57 (2 games in hand)).

The fact that the top Prem teams don't come close to the kind of points RM and Barca have tells you that they have dropped points to lower level competition at a far greater rate than barca and RM have in their leagues meaning that the overall competitiveness of the premier league (including lower clubs) is higher.

Jus' a likkle science but me sure you have fi u argument to'.
                  "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                    7 seasons counting and still a talk bout kids.....kissteth...wenger fi get sack and rafa fi tek im place
                    X - what is wrong wid you? First it was City now Arsenal. Stop sell Rafa all over the r*** prem!!! There is only one place me want to see him and that is back in Spain, i don't want him to play King Kenny unless it's in European competition. I would hate for him to get 3-0, 4-0, 6-0 at the hands of our new manager.

YNWA

Comment

I know we have had many discussions about this. I always kept telling you that I did not expect Arsenal to be champions this season as I just did not see Champion material in them. You see what I mean now. They crash and are burning near the end.

Lets hope they can at least give a good showing against ManUre next match.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

You show the stats of the top 4 yet conveniently show nothing of the rest. The lower half of teams in La Liga have almost the same amount of points as the lower half of teams in the EPL. There goes your theory on the lower half teams with regards to points.

As for Payroll. Payroll gives an indication, but suggesting extrapolation from league to league is comedy. Newcastle, West Ham and Sunderland better than Valencia, Napoli? All of them better than Porto and Lyon? Must be, because the regression analysis says so. LOL

Better you try again.

Comment

Wait, the patients are running the loony bin. X is a madman to rhatid.
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

You show the stats of the top 4 yet conveniently show nothing of the rest. The lower half of teams in La Liga have almost the same amount of points as the lower half of teams in the EPL. There goes your theory on the lower half teams with regards to points.
                            Are you insinuating that if I showed the points tally of the lower teams in the Digicel Premier League to be higher than those in the Prem, that would prove they are better than teams in the Prem? Wow!! Me, the fact that the TOP teams in England have less points than their counterparts in Spain means they are in a more competitive league (not necessarily better, but more competitive).

As for Payroll. Payroll gives an indication, but suggesting extrapolation from league to league is comedy. Newcastle, West Ham and Sunderland better than Valencia, Napoli? All of them better than Porto and Lyon? Must be, because the regression analysis says so.
                            Extrapolation from league to league is a comedy, says the man who is comparing Napoli to Valencia to Sunderland. LOL!!! On this we agree. But it is you who are the comedian. If you read my post I said:

[Because it is a consistently reliable indicator] one can [presumably] use payroll to extrapolate to the bottom half. The fact of the matter is that Prem clubs - even in the majority of the bottom half - have much bigger payrolls than clubs in Spain.

However, because these teams have no opportunity other than pre-season to play each other, we can't base it on performance so this is an argument that cannot be won...

Crystal clear.

===================

I am still waiting on you to put forward a lucid argument to support your statement:

"a team like Osasuna, one spot above relegation, is far superior to Wigan, Wolves, WBA, Blackburn, Stoke etc. The upper half of the EPL is stronger, but the lower half in Spain is superior to that of England."

Comment

I am not doing any comparing to the DPL. That is being silly. You made your statement starting with the top teams. If you take your approach, starting with the lower half teams, all of a sudden your analysis means nothing. Try again with that one.

You are the one who brings up payroll, and then vex when I show how the payroll many of the lower half EPL teams is better than teams who perform well in the UEFA Cup and the Champions league. Hence, while payroll can give an indication, there are many teams that can't be compared based on that, especially across the top leagues.

Yes, the argument can't be won and adding "science" to it doesn't help. So I will have my belief based on my observations and you will have your belief based on your "science".

Comment

Working...
                              X