• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balotelli winked and Fernidad blinked...lol

Mario Balotelli wink no big deal, Roberto Mancini claims

• 'We can put Balotelli in jail if you like', says manager
    • Sir Alex Ferguson blames loss on Dimitar Berbatov misses

Manchester City's Mario Balotelli (right) becomes involved in a fracas with United players at the final whistle during the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. Photograph: Christopher Lee - The Fa/The FA via Getty Images

Roberto Mancini sought to play down the scuffles on the pitch that soured the end of a memorable FA Cup semi-final, insisting that Mario Balotelli could not possibly be to blame for everything even though the Manchester City striker appeared to incite players on the losing side at the final whistle when he provocatively displayed his shirt and badge to the Manchester United end of Wembley.

Anderson was the first United player to take offence, chasing Balotelli around the centre circle and at one point pushing him in the back, before Rio Ferdinand became involved and began to threaten the Italian, at which point the City player looked at him and winked.

Mancini and several members of his staff were on the pitch at the close trying to defuse the situation, although afterwards the City manager claimed he had not known what all the fuss was about. "I didn't see what happened right after the whistle went and I would have to see it properly before I say anything," Mancini said. "Every time something happens it seems to be Mario's fault, but I would like to see it first to make sure. If he did celebrate in front of the Manchester United supporters, I don't know, we can put him in jail if you like."

Mancini was quite reasonably attempting to be light-hearted over a squabble that was more unsightly than unpleasant and did not seriously disfigure a splendid occasion, although he certainly has his hands full with the controversy-prone Balotelli. The striker had one of his more convincing games for City here, bringing a fine save from Edwin van der Sar and going close on a couple of other occasions. "Mario played very well, but he can still do better than that," Mancini said. "We all can, but I am very happy with the way we played and happy for our supporters because they deserve to have a day like this."

Sir Alex Ferguson blamed the end of his side's treble dream on Dimitar Berbatov's first-half misses and the slack defending that led to Yaya Touré's goal. "The first 15 minutes after half-time cost us the game," the United manager told MUTV. "There were some slack moments. Edwin van der Sar had a bad kick out, Michael Carrick couldn't hold it and it was a goal. It's disappointing, we should have been ahead in the first half as we were the better team. The chances that Dimitar missed – there was a great save by the keeper but the second chance, from under the bar, if he'd have scored there it might have been different. I had a feeling whoever scored first would win the match."

United had been the better team for the first half-hour, creating clear chances that Berbatov will rue missing, but City grew in stature throughout the game and, although their task was made easier when Paul Scholes was dismissed for a dangerous tackle with 20 minutes left, in truth United's desperation was beginning to show by that stage. "We dominated the second half," Mancini said. "United played very well for the first 20 minutes. They are a good team and they are used to playing at this stadium. It was our first time, but once we started to press and play higher up the pitch we created more. This result could be a turning point because everything is still in our hands. We deserve to qualify for the Champions League and if we can win the FA Cup we could go on to win other things next season."

Just about the only thing that clouded Mancini's sunny outlook was a suggestion that it is about time City won something, after all the money they have spent. "Have Manchester United and Chelsea not spent money?" he asked. "Manchester City was a small team until a few years ago; now we have a chance to spend, but you still have to buy good players."
    Last edited by Karl; April 16, 2011, 08:50 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

The squad list is impressive and encouraging;only Fletcher is missing.The Lion is now wide awake . However,we need a game ready Fletcher for the CL,figure out how to keep Berbie and Hernandez...,they are going to win the EPL.

Comment

Working...
    X