Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL keeping you upto date. Obrien White stars

Montero-less Seattle get first win of 2011 over Fire

SEATTLE – O'Brian White notched a goal and an assist to help the Seattle Sounders to their first win of the 2011 season on Saturday, 2-1 over the Chicago Fire in front of 36,223 at Qwest Field.
    In the absence of Fredy Montero, who is recovering from wrist surgery, Seattle went to a three-forward formation with White as the point man to trigger the Sounders offense.
    And it didn’t take long for him to make his presence known during an entertaining, up-tempo first half. In the seventh minute, the Jamaican got his head on a Mauro Rosales cross, despite being tightly marked, and finished past Sean Johnson’s near post.
    GOALS
    VS SEATTLE CHICAGO2 1White
    7'8'Chaves
    Zakuani
    25'

Comparison
    SEATTLE CHICAGO SHO Shots

SHO Shots

SOG Shots on Goal

SOG Shots on Goal

SVS Saves

SVS Saves

F Fouls

F Fouls

OFF Offsides

OFF Offsides

CK Corner Kicks

CK Corner Kicks

Less than a minute later, Chicago answered back. Patrick Nyarko used his speed on the right to get send in a low cross. Diego Cháves’ aggressive run into the penalty area beat the Seattle defense and the Uruguayan finished tidily to the back post, becoming the first Fire player to score in his first three games.
    With Seattle holding more of the possession, they managed to create the eventual game-winning goal through Steve Zakuani’s ingenuity. In the 25th minute, he and White unlocked the defense by themselves, as Zakuani beat a double team with a give-and-go with White to put Seattle up 2-1.
    The Fire came out in the second half eager to equalize. They forced two saves from Kasey Keller in the early part of the half – a diving save on Cháves and a kick save to stop Gastón Puerari’s breakaway. The Sounders lived dangerously as the Fire pressed forward.
    As the match continued, Seattle introduced Nate Jaqua and defensive-minded midfielder Servando Carrasco to help salt the game away. Despite some nervy moments, the Seattle defense held on for the team’s first win of the season.
    The Sounders next face two tough road games – at Philadelphia on April 16 and at Colorado the following weekend. The Fire travel to Portland for the Timbers’ home MLS debut in a nationally televised match on April 14.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

HL making sure you see this.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yes, I saw the goal in the hi-light new on FSC. The Boy is coming into his own now Sass!!
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

What a difference a week make?

4. No Montero, no problem. In the three games that Seattle Designated Player Fredy Montero has played, the Sounders tallied a combined one goal and one point. In the two matches he's had to miss after having wrist surgery, the Sounders have amassed four goals and four points, with the latest effort being a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Fire Saturday afternoon.
        While nobody is suggesting that the Sounders are better off without Montero in the long run, there's no question that the attacking trio of Steve Zakuani, O'Brian White and Mauro Rosales has been more productive while carrying the flow of the attack. Montero's knack for shooting from just about anywhere -- he entered the weekend leading the league in total shots -- has paid off for the better part of the last two seasons; however, if Seattle's attack is going to reach its potential, Montero is going to have to accept playing a role in the attack as opposed to trying to be the entire attack.
        White, who scored in his second straight match, did a wonderful job of holding up the ball and creating openings for Zakuani, Rosales and Erik Friberg to exploit. If Montero can do the same when he returns, all will be well in the Emerald City.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1J9xInWxi

Comment

Working...
        X