An Englishman finally speaks the truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Englishman finally speaks the truth

Barton brands Barry a teacher's pet as Newcastle bad boy rips into England team... then admits he wants a call from Capello

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 12:41 PM on 7th April 2011
    Joey Barton has branded Manchester City star Gareth Barry a 'teacher's pet', blasted Frank Lampard and written off England's chances of winning the next 50 World Cups.

The controversial Newcastle midfielder launched a stunning attack on the state of the England football team in an interview with French football magazine So Foot, highlighting Barry's presence as an alarming indicator of the lack of midfield talent.

'Teacher's pet': Gareth Barry (left) in training with England manager Fabio Capello

Barton saved the worst of his latest outburst for 46-cap Barry.

'Did you see the game against Germany at the World Cup?' he asked. 'If you watch the fourth goal, when Mesut Ozil was up against Barry, it was like the hare and the tortoise.
    'Barry's got a very good agent,' Barton offered as an explanation for the the former Aston Villa skipper's success.
    'He's also discreet and always agrees with the manager. He's like the guy who sits in the front row and listens to the teacher. I certainly don't lose any sleep when I play against him.'
    Convinced that he can still play a part in Fabio Capello's side Barton, who won his only international cap in 2007 against Spain, was quoted in the magazine as saying: 'Honestly, I think I'm the best (English midfielder).
    'Luka Modric and Samir Nasri are very good, but in terms of English players Jack Wilshere isn't bad, Frank Lampard's on the way down and Steven Gerrard's been injured a lot.'

No answer: Ozil gave Barry and his England team-mates a torrid time as Germany won 4-1 at the World Cup

The comments are likely to make it difficult for Barton to add to his one England appearance - as a late substitute against the Spanish four years ago.

At the time, Barton had slammed members of the England team for releasing books after a disappointing World Cup in Germany, accusing them of cashing in.

Alan Pardew, Barton's boss at Newcastle reckons he deserves an international return and the player himself said: 'I'm English and I love playing for my country.
    'Maybe the people at the top have a problem with me. I don't know. But the trouble I had was four years ago. They should be able to forgive, shouldn't they?'
    Barton also had plenty to say about England's 2-1 friendly defeat against France last November.

The one and only: Barton (right) makes his solitary England appearance as a late sub for Lampard

'Look at Jordan Henderson (against France),' he said. 'He was up against (Yann) M'Vila, (Mathieu) Valbuena, Nasri and (Yoann) Gourcuff. And he had Gareth Barry alongside him. What could they do against those players?

'France killed us at Wembley. We English will play the next 50 World Cups and we'll never win one. The people in charge at the FA played football maybe 50 or 60 years ago and still think that we can win a World Cup in the same way we did in 1966.

'We're too focused on tradition in England, like always having to play 4-4-2. Sometimes you need to experiment, drop a bit deeper so you have more space to move into. France, Italy and Germany have done it. We've been doing the same thing for 20 years.'

Stay with me: Barton wants fellow midfielder Nolan to pledge his future to Newcastle before he does the same

At club level Barton's future remains unclear as he has yet to extend his current deal which runs out next year.
    He was unsettled by Andy Carroll’s £35million transfer to Liverpool.
    He added: 'I told them the goal shouldn’t be just to survive, to finish 16th or 17th, every season.

'We had a good player, Carroll, and we sold him. I told the management that I was worried, that I was scared this might happen every year. But they assured me they don’t want to go down that road. I don’t know if I believe them.

'I told them I might stay this summer because we have some good players and money to spend. But I'm going to wait and see if players like Kevin Nolan, Cheick Tioté and Jose Enrique stay.

'If Nolan signs a new deal, I will as well. But I hope the club step things up. I want to be ambitious and I think the club share that desire.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1IqVGLPki
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Truth is Africa & Mexico will win the WC before england .The USA will take another 150 years.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

tired a talk bout the substandard player name Barry. one of the most overrated in England history

Comment

Well, there goes Barton's international career. He was spot on though.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
          The USA will take another 150 years.
          And it will take Jamaica even longer than that just to qualify.
          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
          - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
            And it will take Jamaica even longer than that just to qualify.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

and?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Wait deh... why am I laughing again??
                  Peter R

Comment

Jangle and others like minded,

The correct response to Zeppo should be:
                    Peter R

Comment

.................................................. ...................................and?

everytime i hear the word 'and'?...I and and...

HL

Comment

where is unuh sense of humour? that was a good comeback by Zeppo......even though at our expense.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I wish Jamaica could be half as good as England right now.
                          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I agree that it was a good comeback... so alright I will

the "problem" is the ring of truth to it so mi feel like
                            Peter R

Comment

hehehee

I wish guys like Gammer would follow your lead in being open minded... and have a sense of humor.

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X