• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liverpool squad was lacking quality

Wednesday, April 6, 2011
    Henry: squad was lacking quality
    ESPN staff

Liverpool owner John W Henry feels much of the blame for the club's current struggles should be shouldered by Rafa Benitez and the previous regime of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Rafael Benitez is to blame for Liverpool's lack of strength in depth, according to John W. Henry

Henry took control of the Anfield giants last October, inheriting a club struggling towards the foot of the Premier League.

Manager Roy Hodgson was relieved of his duties and replaced with Kenny Dalglish. The move sparked a mini revival but investment in the playing staff was required as Henry felt the squad left at Hodgson's disposal by Benitez was not good enough to challenge the big guns in England.

"The worst surprise was the lack of depth," Henry told Four Four Two. "Our biggest concern was this issue - and it was a bigger issue than we feared.

"There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth."

Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez arrived in January and although the Reds have climbed the table, Henry feels more needs to be done to make Liverpool a competitive Premier League force.

"Our priority is the title," Henry said. "Success is winning titles."

Liverpool's director of football Damien Comolli is also confident that the club can reassert themselves as a Premier League force next season if they are as successful in the summer transfer window as they were in January.

"There will be movement, that's for sure," Comolli said. "We are very attractive for a lot of players because of what we did in January and a game like the 3-1 defeat of Manchester United is fantastic publicity for us around the world.

"Since the day after I was getting phone calls from agents telling me that their player would love to come and that we are going to compete next year if we get it right. We are attractive to a lot of top players and we want to bring top players to this club."
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

a wonder what X have fi say?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

conflicted ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Someone is responsible for it (lack of depth ).
        Peter R

Comment

arsene wenger .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
          X