Journalism disgrace or notl!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journalism disgrace or notl!?

Massive correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm here watching the Champions League matchup between Tottenham and Real Madrid and I cannot remember ever hearing such biased commentary, so much that it is soooo obvious which team the commentators are rooting for. When did we move from neautral journalism especially in the field of sports to being so disgracefully biased? Over and over again hearing stuff like "we should" and "Let's do this and that" as if they are a part of Tottenham's staff, and even almost begging and wishing for calls in Spurs favour. I would prefer to hear them just report on the happenings of the game from a neutral stand point instead.

Well you say it a "...biased commentary." The emphasis here would be on the word commentary, which in most cases tend to be that of the commentator's personal feeling on the matter.

I think that journalism can be either objective or subjective, depending on what is being written. A news report, obituary or research should be objective.

On the other hand social commentaries, weekly columns, Dear Abbies, editorials etc. tend to carry a bit of personal "bias" because they are basically opinion pieces.

That's my two cents but maybe Mr. Reid will be kind enough to enlighten us a bit more.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

but mi tink seh dis leg of di Champions League start tomorrow ?

Him lucky dem even a cover dese games..

Comment

Once the "special one" is on the sideline you know the reporters will swarm the area!
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

well.... it is over as contest ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

And 4-nil is a big statement!

Comment

The bigger story is Schalke's 5 road goals in Milan. What a rahtid!
              "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Sensi, this is nothing new IMO. The gentlemen pander to their audience and as such you were listening to commentators who by and large only remember their English audience who would not have the same concerns you do.

While it is not objective commentary I understand that these gents see the contest as an English v Spanish one and in that context I can accept the bias. During WC it is even worse and not just on the part of the English... when it gets to me is when you hear commentators who are obviously biased to one club side over another...

My adviCe; if dem get to yuh, jus tun de volume down.
                Peter R

Comment

Do they need to bother with the second leg?

BTW Rafa wouda nevah get 5 - X's proxy LOL
                  Peter R

Comment

I agree. They are English commentators and therefore will be biased towards the English side. Similar to listening to Jamaican commentary or US etc.

I do not think the commentators are making any special effort to be unbiased.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                    X