• Show
Clear All

• Red Bulls acquire De Rosario from Toronto FC

New York send Borman, Tchani, '12 pick to TFC for 5-time Best XI

Nick Firchau
    MLSsoccer.com
    April 1, 2011

(Getty Images)

NEW YORK – Dwayne De Rosario has a new home, and the New York Red Bulls have a new engine for their offense.
    The Red Bulls acquired the five-time MLS Best XI selection via a trade with Toronto FC for two players and a future draft pick on Friday, giving New York head coach Hans Backe the playmaker he’s sought since taking the reins in the Big Apple last season.
    The Red Bulls shipped talented young defensive midfielder and 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick Tony Tchani and South African midfielder Danleigh Borman to Toronto, along with their first-round pick in the 2012 SuperDraft.
    De Rosario is eligible to play in New York’s matchup against the Houston Dynamo on Saturday (7:30 pm ET, Matchday Live, Direct Kick), while Tchani and Borman are eligible to play when Toronto host Chivas USA (1 pm ET, TSN).

More
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

What that say about the ambition of Toronto? They are gonna go for a big name European player to replace Dro.

Is this saying somebody on the Red Bulls frontline will be going?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

They will have problems unless Henry adjust his role to fill the Angel vacancy. Otherwise they are going to find themself in the situation Arsenal was in a few years ago. Nuff dominance on the edge of the box and not a person in the box to score the goal them.

Comment

Like it or not...(and as much as I like King Henry XIV)...he is actually a tyiad leg. So Rosario may actually relish the opportunity to represent the tri-state area.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

But Dro a almost tyiad legs too. Him nuh much younger than Henry.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Seet dey. was thinkin' the same too.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

they are trying to use Dro in a center mid position. His pass to Dane was good yesterday. Really Henry seems to be the odd man out.

Comment

Henry is still the problem. He has been a flop. He looks just like he did at Barcelona in his last season. Not being able to get past people with pace, dribbles and loses the ball and final balls that are consistently intercepted. DeRo has also lost a step, but today he is a more effective player in MLS than Henry has been since coming to the league.

Comment

NO this is a messed up dirty soap opera sass. I dont think Winter wanted to loose him but the circumstances demanded it and the blame is on all sides. The real story is that when Dwayne was traded from Houston to his backyard T.O he claims they promised to rip up his contract and make him a desginated player. Since then they have brought in other players such as Mista now gone and played them million $$ salaries. This has led to Dwayne saying ok now you need to pay me accordingly as I am the best player on the team. DRo claims Mo Johnson promised him a Deginated player spot and this led to last year when DRo did an idiat thing to score a goal jog to the half line and do a mock signing of a contract which did not go over well with management and fans. Now fast forward to the fall and DRO decides to go to Celtics for a loan. While training in Scotland TFC said they did not authorize it and created a big fisaco, DRo claimed they did. As you may know at the time the new regime was not in placke and Klinsman was the consultant but not hands on. Dont know who to belive but I dont think celtics would have a player train without paperwork. After all that when Aaron Winter and the Ajax crew came on board Aaron Winter denied Dro request for a loan spell to Celtics rightly so as he was deploying a new system and wanted his captain and best player in the mixs. Thing seems to be ok but Dro sitll wanted the Designated player contract at 32 years old. Now what i have said is mostly facts or close to it.. I dont know who promised who what. But what I know is Winter is not dump to pay DRo retirement millions at age 32 when he did not promise him and is probably thinking he can get others at that price. I think it is a shame as Dro wanted to finish playing here but I see it from Winters point and he is saying that is was DRO who force the trade. I don't think Winter is lying and I don't blame Dro for wanting a million $$ contract at the end of his career. lets see if he gets the DP in NY.

Comment

It sounds like another Ricardo Fuller saga?

DRo was a work horse for them but I guess they have to look out for their team.

My problem with Toronto is they change things too quickly and need to settle down with a few players they have faith in and build.

Comment

True I agree. Thing is Aaron Winter has to be given time. I think he likes dro but like him i am not going to pay 2 mil a year for 3 years for a 32 year old. It matters not who promised him that 2 years ago.. you seeit.. I respect dro but if I was Winter i would run him too.

Comment

Teams come out even following De Ro deal

Earlier this week, Red Bull officials admitted they were looking for a No. 10, either from abroad or within MLS. Turns out they weren’t kidding; Friday the Red Bulls finalized a deal by which one of league’s quintessential No. 10s, Dwayne De Rosario, had been acquired from Toronto.

New York paid a stiff price: headed north of the border were Cameroon-born midfielder Tony Tchani, the No. 2 pick in last year’s SuperDraft, and South African defender/midfielder Danleigh Borman, in his fourth MLS season. TFC also received a first-round pick in next year’s SuperDraft.

(continue)
                        "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                        - Xavi

Comment

funny how perception works. here in To. the feeling is they gave way DRo. for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                          X