Chilly clime could be bane of U-20s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilly clime could be bane of U-20s

It is funny reading this guy's article about not preparing for winter temperatures in Guatemala City. He is speaking about temperatures droping down to 65°F and him not bringing any "winter gear".

He obviously doe snot have any idea what winter temperatures are. 65°F at nights may at most require a light jacket, a sweat suit top or sweat shirt should suffice to and you will be fine.

When I think of cold and winter, I am thinking of layers of clothing and heavy coat, gloves and head wear. You would easily get too hot if you were to dress like that in 65°F temperature.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chilly clime could be bane of U-20s
    SEAN WILLIAMS AT THE CONCACAF U-20 CHAMPIONSHIP in Guatemala
    Friday, April 01, 2011

GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala — You may not believe it, but it was a nippy Monday night here.
    One weather report put it at about 65 degrees Farenheit. For a Jamaican living on the 'Rock', that's very cold.
    To make matters worse, I did not pack any winter gear as I was expecting considerably warmer weather in this Central American city. That's typical night-time temperatures here, I was told. During the daytime, it's more pleasant at an average 72 degrees. I can live with that.
    As you may, or may not know, I am in this country to cover the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship, where our Young Reggae Boyz are seeking to qualify for their age-group global tournament. Our team was due to kick-start their campaign last night against hosts Guatemala.
    On a visit to the Estadia National Mateo Flores where Jamaica will play their Group A matches, the chill inside the 26,000-capacity venue was frightening, to say the least, as it was suprising.
    I had arrived in the country just hours earlier and two days late at that, so I was anxious for a re-familiarisation sightseeing tour as I have not been here for a while.
    Without being invited, I jumped on the team bus for the usual 10-minute ride from the hotel, which on this occasion, took twice that long due to traffic. That can be a problem here, peak hours or not.
    When we arrived at the stadium and disembarked, I was tempted to get right back on the bus. But I had to be a man, so I braved the unfriendly 'climes' and went on what was really a pitch inspection and familiarisation tour.
    It appeared, though, that everyone except myself was prepared for what awaited outside as players, coaches, team manager and doctor, head of delegation and equipment manager, wore sweat tops. They were ready. I wasn't and nobody bothered to warn me as someone who had just stepped off the plane.
    For what's it worth, I was darn happy that the players and coaches hadn't gone there for a training session, which could last between an hour and two. Phew!
    The reason for Guatemala City's chills, I am told, even as it is located in the tropics, is due to the elevation (some 5,000 feet above sea level), and the resulting moderating influence of the higher altitude enables it to enjoy a subtropical highland climate.
    It is said to be generally mild, almost springlike, throughout the year, occasionally getting warm during the dry season. Occasionally? Give me my Jamaica any day where it's alluringly warm 12 months a year.
    Weather aside, Guatemala City is an interesting melting pot of cultures and home to some 3.5 million inhabitants of the country's 13 million.
    The locals and tourists have access to a wide variety of restaurants, hotels, shops, art galleries, theatres, museums, and, of course, sports facilities.
    Not counting the weather, what also scares the hell out of me at this point about Guatemala City is that its major airport is located in the middle of town.
    Believe it. I watch with amazement from my hotel window as large passenger jets dive in for landings, seemingly gobbled up by the buildings that make up the modest skyline. When they take off, the aircraft appear to just pop up from the buildings in the distance.
    But what's therapeutic about all of this is the majestic vista of the rolling hills, interspersed with skyward peaks, that seem to cradle the valley below which is Guatemala City -- the largest metropolis in Central America.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1IHxyxn5E
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

65 Degrees F? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have such a wonderful time trying to explain to a Jamaican how cold a Wisconsin winter is.

After an Independence City game, we were at a neighborhood pub. There was an NFL football game - from Cleveland on TV, being played in a blizzard.

"See that?" I told the players. "When I get home tomorrow, I have to shovel that."

At Southborough School, a sweet third grade girl asked me if I was married.
    "No," I said, "if I was married, no wife would ever let me do this. Here we are, it is 85 degrees outside, back home it's only five degrees, and wind makes it feel worse. No wife would say, Yes, you go to Jamaica while I freeze.

I asked her if she knew the temperature in which water starts to turn to ice.
    "Thirty-two" , she said.

"That's right," I said. "You could stick your head in the ice cream freezer across the street (there is a small store across the street from the school),
    and that's about twenty. You have to walk in that cold, you have to wait for a bus in that cold, and some people have to work outside in that cold."

Comment

Working...
    X