RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody following Chad Ochocinco tryouts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody following Chad Ochocinco tryouts?

Chad Ochocinco: NFL Superstar Following Childhood Dream and Disproving Critics

By Tim Fontenault
    (Featured Columnist) on March 28, 2011 - Kansas City

1,324 reads
    23 comments
    2 likes

Ochocinco has been working extremely hard at SKC camp this week.
    Jamie Squire/Getty Images I'll admit, I was sketchy about Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco when he decided to accept an invitation to join Sporting Kansas City on trial.
    Then again, because I never liked his on camera antics, I never took Ochocinco seriously as a real player in the NFL. I just thought of him as a guy who loved the camera and loved the checks.
    It's amazing what a couple of days can do.
    Since Tuesday, my respect level for Ochocinco has skyrocketed.
    I always knew of Chad's love for the game of soccer, or as I call it, real football. He played in his youth and was an exceptional player.
    Family influence and the uncertainty of a stable career in the brand new and financially strained Major League Soccer caused him to choose a career in the NFL. He is a big fan of the game in general.

In fact, he is currently struggling with who to root for when he goes to the Real Madrid-Barcelona derby on April 16. He has friends on both teams. His friends in the world football community include Barcelona star Lionel Messi, Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo and New York Red Bulls forward Thierry Henry.

In fact, the only player in a major professional sports league in the US that even comes close as a soccer fan is Kobe Bryant, the diehard AC Milan fan who—at one point—dreamed of playing for the Rossoneri.
    His footwork is improving, his shot is better, and Chad is showing he really wants the opportunity to appear on the pitch at Livestrong Sporting Park.
    Jamie Squire/Getty Images
    With the NFL currently in a lockout, Ochocinco has the opportunity to revive his chances of a career in professional soccer.
    MLS has never been more popular in the US and the competition has never been as strong.

Money is flowing in, as are the stars. In the last few years, Juan Pablo Angel, David Beckham, Thierry Henry, Rafa Marquez and several other well-known players have left Europe to play in America.
    Landon Donovan even snubbed the likes of Everton, Manchester City and Liverpool to remain at Los Angeles.
    It was a rough start for Ochocinco. His touches were weak. His passes were not crisp. He struggled to shoot on target. You could see he was getting frustrated, but he never quit. He kept working and working.

The improvement from Tuesday to now is incredible! He was playing in full-sided scrimmages, showing strong wing play and a couple of dangerous crosses, one which connected with Teal Bunbury and found the net.
    He certainly respects how difficult this task is. Of course, failure is something he must have thought about. He certainly understands the work and dedication and skill this will take.

As he tweeted to Barcelona star Gerard Pique: "I understand the skill it takes it to play at this level,I just love the beautiful game n have much respect for it."
    On Twitter: "I understand the skill it takes it to play at this level,I just love the beautiful game n have much respect for it."
    Jamie Squire/Getty Images
    He is asking his teammates for help, especially the likes of fellow forwards Kei Kamara and Bunbury.
    What struck me the most besides his work ethic was his attitude in general. This is not, "I'm Ochocinco. I'm above you all."
    It is more like, "I'm here to work. I'm here to live my dream but I know that it is going to take a long time for me to ever be near the level of the rest of you."

Again, respecting the difficulty of the game, he tweeted to his followers: "I wish you all can see the skill it takes to play FUTBOL,even with my speed these guys still make me look like ******** on the pitch."
    On day two, he met one-on-one with manager Peter Vermes. When the coach asked him his personal evaluation, Chad admitted to knowing he was nowhere near the level of the other players and had a long road ahead. Good for him owning up to that and realizing he has to work if he wants to have a chance at one day going after the ball against Beckham or trying to take Rafa Marquez one-on-one.
    I loved the smile on Chad's face when Vermes told him he wanted him to play "20, 30, 45 minutes" in the reserves game this Monday. It showed just exactly how much this means to him.
    I'm sure he wants to play a full 90, but he is being given a chance, which is the most important thing.
    It has been a successful trial so far for Chad and I hope he gets a contract. It's still a long road, as he has to climb the ranks a bit before he can see first-team time. Once he gets near that level, he has to deal with a few rather talented forwards.
    Kamara, Omar Bravo, Birahim Diop and C.J. Sapong are all quality strikers. He has to get to the level of these players if he wants to line up with a certain Bunbury, the Yank on the rise.
    All in all, Chad Ochocinco has earned my respect and the respect of many others this week. His work ethic and motivation are incredible and his improvement is very encouraging.

All I can say is that Chad, I am no longer a doubter or a hater of yours. I have the utmost respect for you and best of luck as you try to make the squad at Sporting Kansas City.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

i respect chad and his genuine desire to play soccer... it is definitely not a publicity stunt but even he knows that he will not make the team... that is also the cool part because despite knowing he still gives his all, work hard and tries to improve... his attitude is to be commended...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

yeah, nuff respect to him fi real.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

steve nash is a big football fan too....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah and the guy who married Mia Hamm

Comment

yeah and the guy who married Mia Hamm
            Now, now Sass. Does he have a choice? Even if he did not like it, the fact that Mia was so big in the sport he would have to at least appear to be.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

well i don't know if he was big into soccer but it is fair to say that he was definitely deep into women's soccer!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I think it is great PR for both Chad and the team..there is no way he could even make the practice squad and I am sure he knew that but this was a great way to keep him in the public domain for a few days.

I am sure the team knew this too but they jumped at the positive PR it brings for the team.

His love for the game is well documented however as he always spoke about it.
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Steve Nash has real skills much better than Chad...Hakeem Olajuwon played the game in Nigeria and had skills as well
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

tony parker is a fan too i believe

Comment

Nomar Garciappara or as Baddaz would call him Nomah....LOL! Yow me brethren how things a gwaan a Bean Town?
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Go wash out your mouth... out of order... funny no hell doh
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

what did i say?!!

Comment

Joe Max Moore introduced them. He was a fan as most of his family.

Comment

eeehhhh eeehhhh

Comment

Working...
                              X