RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tappa on our local coaches' short-coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappa on our local coaches' short-coming!

Get exposure! - Whitmore urges locals to seek coaching experience overseas
    BY IAN BURNETT Sport Editor

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

REGGAE Boyz head coach Theodore Whitmore, fresh off an ‘eye-opening’ coaching attachment in Brazil, is encouraging local coaches to seek experience overseas in an attempt to advance the sport, which he claims is well behind the developed football world.

Whitmore, the 1998 France World Cup Finals Reggae Boy star player who scored a brace in Jamaica’s 2-1 victory over Japan, recently spent three weeks with senior coaches, including former Reggae Boyz technical director Rene Simoes, at Atlético Clube Goianiense in Goiânia, Brazil, upgrading his coaching skills, gaining knowledge and experience about coaching philosophies and methodologies, as well as upgrading general management skills.

WHITMORE... Jamaican coaches need to go out there to garner experience

“It has helped me a far way,” Whitmore, popularly called ‘Tappa’, told the Observer in a recent exclusive interview about the attachment in Brazil.
    “I can tell you this personally, as coaches in Jamaica, not only national coaches, but Premier League coaches, we need to go out there to garner experience, probably not only in Brazil, but we can go to Holland, Italy or somewhere else. But that can only do good for football in Jamaica because I think our football is way behind,” he said.

He added: “The little time I spent in Brazil... was like an eye-opener to what is happening now, comparing us with what is happening in football in Brazil, and to be honest, we are way, way behind in terms of what is happening there and what is happening here.

“In terms of preparing teams, the way they are moving in terms of what they are doing, the whole set-up and everything, we’re far behind,” he reiterated without going into specifics.

Whitmore, who missed spending some time with former Brazilian national coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo at the famous Clube de Regatas do Flamengo due to that club’s participation in a final, explained that from his experience in the land of the five-time world champions, coaches there are managing football in a much more sophisticated manner than here.

“... As I have said, it can only do good for us if coaches can understand and get exposure and even come to national training sessions and see what is happening and what their players are doing and come and ask questions because that’s the only way we’re going to move football (forward) in Jamaica...

“Whether through the JFF (Jamaica Footbal Federation), the DPL (Digicel Premier League), whatever means, just to get the coaches to go out there and get exposure… (some) coaches only seem to want to go on courses to get certificates, but I’m telling them right now go out there and spend a two-week in some other country and see what is happening,” urged Whitmore, who declared that this latest attachment was far more advanced than his two previous courses with English tutors in Trinidad and Tobago.

But Whitmore is not amused with some anecdotes about his tenure as head coach of the Reggae Boyz.

“Take for instance some players… they come to the national team and at the first training session they are tired after a few minutes. That is to show you our level, so we as national coaches have to spend time dealing with the physical aspect instead of the tactical aspect,” he bemoaned.

The former national captain is also unimpressed with the standard and quality of play in the DPL, and he lays the blame squarely at the feet of the coaches, whom he said are not preparing the players for the big stage.

He noted that oftentimes the public complains of not seeing a certain type of football being played by the national team, but suggested that clubs are responsible for players and when these players are invited to the national team “three or four days before an international game we have to spend two or three days out of it getting the players up to a certain standard to go out there and play, instead of dealing with tactical work”.

“DPL is played at a pace where I can play because it allows players to do things (too much time) with the ball; at the international level you don’t allow players to do anything,” he lamented as further evidence of the sub-standard nature of the local league.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Lol

Nuh di same ting Simoes did seh?

Comment

Him tek two courses and him a expert now. Joke, mi a mek still, and gwaan do your tings Tappa!
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Three weeks of parring with Rene will do that to you. LOL
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well, if he took two courses and cannot see from that what we are lacking, then he would not be ready to lead our program. I am happy to say though I have seen Tappa grow in this position so far. Wish he will continue to do so and realize that if we are to compete internationally, we cannot continue to use the same old methods which did not produce acceptable results and expect to reap success. Things have to change.

Gwaan Tappa!!
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla stop go roun di ting an talk di TRUTH. Mi know yuh might hurt a few feelings but in the long run the good of the many outweighs that of the few.

Comment

Amen. preach it Tappa, cause more while man an man think say what wi haff ah yaad is enough for the world stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Get exposure! - Whitmore urges locals to seek coaching experience overseas

BY IAN BURNETT Sport Editor

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

REGGAE Boyz head coach Theodore Whitmore, fresh off an ‘eye-opening’ coaching attachment in Brazil, is encouraging local coaches to seek experience overseas in an attempt to advance the sport, which he claims is well behind the developed football world.

Whitmore, the 1998 France World Cup Finals Reggae Boy star player who scored a brace in Jamaica’s 2-1 victory over Japan, recently spent three weeks with senior coaches, including former Reggae Boyz technical director Rene Simoes, at Atlético Clube Goianiense in Goiânia, Brazil, upgrading his coaching skills, gaining knowledge and experience about coaching philosophies and methodologies, as well as upgrading general management skills.

“It has helped me a far way,” Whitmore, popularly called ‘Tappa’, told the Observer in a recent exclusive interview about the attachment in Brazil.
                “I can tell you this personally, as coaches in Jamaica, not only national coaches, but Premier League coaches, we need to go out there to garner experience, probably not only in Brazil, but we can go to Holland, Italy or somewhere else. But that can only do good for football in Jamaica because I think our football is way behind,” he said.

He added: “The little time I spent in Brazil... was like an eye-opener to what is happening now, comparing us with what is happening in football in Brazil, and to be honest, we are way, way behind in terms of what is happening there and what is happening here.

“In terms of preparing teams, the way they are moving in terms of what they are doing, the whole set-up and everything, we’re far behind,” he reiterated without going into specifics.

Whitmore, who missed spending some time with former Brazilian national coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo at the famous Clube de Regatas do Flamengo due to that club’s participation in a final, explained that from his experience in the land of the five-time world champions, coaches there are managing football in a much more sophisticated manner than here.

“... As I have said, it can only do good for us if coaches can understand and get exposure and even come to national training sessions and see what is happening and what their players are doing and come and ask questions because that’s the only way we’re going to move football (forward) in Jamaica...

“Whether through the JFF (Jamaica Footbal Federation), the DPL (Digicel Premier League), whatever means, just to get the coaches to go out there and get exposure… (some) coaches only seem to want to go on courses to get certificates, but I’m telling them right now go out there and spend a two-week in some other country and see what is happening,” urged Whitmore, who declared that this latest attachment was far more advanced than his two previous courses with English tutors in Trinidad and Tobago.

But Whitmore is not amused with some anecdotes about his tenure as head coach of the Reggae Boyz.

“Take for instance some players… they come to the national team and at the first training session they are tired after a few minutes. That is to show you our level, so we as national coaches have to spend time dealing with the physical aspect instead of the tactical aspect,” he bemoaned.

The former national captain is also unimpressed with the standard and quality of play in the DPL, and he lays the blame squarely at the feet of the coaches, whom he said are not preparing the players for the big stage.

He noted that oftentimes the public complains of not seeing a certain type of football being played by the national team, but suggested that clubs are responsible for players and when these players are invited to the national team “three or four days before an international game we have to spend two or three days out of it getting the players up to a certain standard to go out there and play, instead of dealing with tactical work”.

“DPL is played at a pace where I can play because it allows players to do things (too much time) with the ball; at the international level you don’t allow players to do anything,” he lamented as further evidence of the sub-standard nature of the local league.

"...and even America..." - HL's proxy
                Peter R

Comment

LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                    "...and even America..." - HL's proxy
                    Yes.....and even America....because they are ahead of us in international football. Mexico is also in our backyard. There are a number of things that we can learn from these countries OUTSIDE of the caribbean.
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Fun and joke aside, I agree.
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                        Him tek two courses and him a expert now. Joke, mi a mek still, and gwaan do your tings Tappa!
                        Error!

he has taken the formal other courses...but these 2 practical courses plus his experience in England gives him the platform to say what he long knew and always wanted to say.

Stay tuned!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

You are always far out on left field with your ideas. I am not sure where you are going with this. If you have anything to say, please say it. Please do not put words into my mouth. I am quite capable of voicing my own thought on any issue.
                          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

What truth do you seek Jawge ? Whose feelings might be hurt ?

Its time you seriously grow up in defending whatever thesis you present as it pertains to Jamaicas predicament on the football stage.

What has Tappa said that hasnt been discussed on this forum , if anything what should be gained from his interview is that without exposure he himself has nothing to offer Jamaicas football but antiquated outdated methods to corrupt our already decadent system ! Tappa has admitted he would have been one of those promoting an antiquated system if he hadnt recieved the sponsorship of the JFF.

This elevation in his football knowledge isnt free of cost , the JFF sponsored it.So its back to our main problem money to develop talent ! i.e coaches , footballers , nutritionist , fields , massuers , etc etc .

What truth ? nothing but the obvious !

Where have you heard this reference before in terms of development ? “The little time I spent in Brazil..."....Time on the ball "“DPL is played at a pace where I can play because it allows players to do things (too much time) with the ball; at the international level you don’t allow players to do anything,”

You take these two quotes from Tappa ," little time and time on the ball" and apply it to every aspect of Jamaican football you will come to the conclusion that miracles are being worked in a stagnant enviroment when our youths qualify to Fifa tournaments , and it will take a holositic approach by the governing body JFF/Gov to develop a system to meet international standards.

Fact is Tappa didnt say Jamaican coaches were not good ! but good enough to learn and garner experience to apply it on the local scence and he encourages them to seek such knowledge through avenues “Whether through the JFF (Jamaica Footbal Federation), the DPL (Digicel Premier League), whatever means "

What truth needs to be spoken is the fact that you and your ilk expect our youths to compete against multimillion dollar organizations with 3 to 6 weeks of preparation in a world class enviroment e.g the U 17s and now the U20.

Can that make up for the 16 to 20 years our youths have lost in the stagnant system ?

Is that not true ?

Tappa interview laments the fact he has to spend time which can be used for tactical analysis for bringing players up to a certain physical level, not to mention mental ! which would take many times longer!

What truth do you seek that hasnt been brought forth and XPOSED a million times on the forum ?

Or what lie has been presented as fact/truth ?

The beauty about Tappa is he is Jamaican , young and has a thirst for knowledge and he know the culture of Jamaica and this i believe will guide him to be one of Jamaicas most succesfull coach.

That I take my hat off to the JFF led Burrell for!

Kissteeth!
                            Last edited by Sir X; March 17, 2011, 06:47 AM.
                            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

After all you have said you still haven't addressed the 800 lb. gorilla in the room.
                              Yess at present the JFF has to behave as if it was a club in the sense that it has to develop the players to reach INT'L standards. Seeing that Ja does not have full pro league with TV rights and all the JFF will always be cash strapped. Why? Oh the gorilla? Ja has refused to make the steps to gear the youth towards INTl standards. Ja's football is embedded in its high school leagues (the gorilla). Until Ja can have academies that specilaze in football, Ja will lag behind and the JFF will be scrambling for cash to develop players (with no way of recouping those investments).

The way I see it is that Ja's high schools are being penny wise and pound foolish. The "smalls" (when compared to INT'L games) gained in hosting dcup/manning cup gmaes could be better served in a pro youth league. The region needs to come together and form a youth league (with each island having at least one academy) this way players can compete and get exposed to the conditions of travel and playing (amongst other things). High school can still have their rivalry but on a watered down academic sense. The academies and youth league will take on the INTl level play. As it stands now in Ja; high school league is wasting evryone's time and causing a loss of money (that can't be recouped) at the same time. High schools should concetrate and what they are built for and this is academics.

To further my point; I saw some on this board berating a player that he doeasn't have any "subjects" (old colonial programing here). They should ask the U20 players in Brasil how many subjects they have. My guess they would say "one" and that is futebol. At the same time I'm sure that their clubs have taken steps to make sure they have the equivalent certificate for high schools.

This now brings me to another argument; what is the big deal about subjects? why can't Ja just have you pass and equivalent for high school and if your scores aren't good enough for university then you go to the community college and get up to speed? Why the Island has this huge barrier towards education (in this info age)? One can now actually attend classes at MIT for free over the net and Ja is struggling with subjects? Joke ting.

Comment

Working...
                              X