• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitmore dumps Stewart as assistant coach

Whitmore dumps Stewart as assistant coach
    BY IAN BURNETT Sport Editor
    Friday, March 11, 2011

REGGAE Boyz head coach Theodore Whitmore has severed ties with assistant Bradley Stewart after obtaining permission from the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) to scout for a replacement.
    Whitmore, who recently returned home from a three-week coaching attachment in Brazil, yesterday told the Observer he took the decision in order to advance the football programme.
    STEWART... not prepared to speak on issue at this time.

STEWART... not prepared to speak on issue at this time.

1/1

"I have advised the JFF that I need a change in the assistance for the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifiers and they have given me a free hand to select the person I need," Whitmore said without clarifying whether the person resides locally or overseas.

He added: "As soon as I take the decision I will advise the JFF accordingly, but I am thankful for the support Bradley Stewart has given me for the last two-and-a-half years, but I need to move the programme in a new direction."

Contacted last evening, Stewart said he was not prepared to speak on the issue at this time.

The veteran coach was selected by the then untried Whitmore in 2008 to help guide the team in their final three CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying games, after JFF boss Captain Horace Burrell had dismissed Brazilian Rene Simoes for the poor performance of the team in the earlier games.
    Though the Boyz won the three games, they were left with too much to do and narrowly failed to advance to the final round, leaving the Whitmore/Stewart tandem with three wins from as many games in Whitmore's interim stint.

Jamaican-born former England international John Barnes was appointed to the job shortly after, but was relieved of his duties in 2009, prior to the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the USA, where Whitmore and Stewart teamed up yet again.

There was to be no success that time, however, as the Boyz were eliminated at the preliminary stage. But the duo rebounded to retain last year's Digicel Caribbean Cup in Martinique, while competing with some degree of success on the friendly international stage.

In the latest FIFA Coca-Cola Ranking, Jamaica advanced to 48th, their highest ranking in many years.

Still, Whitmore was not willing to divulge too much regarding his request for the change.

"I am not prepared to discuss any further the reasons for my decision, but must use the opportunity to remind all that as national coach it is my responsibility to lead the technical programme and to make the decision that I believe will best serve the positive development of the national team, as is the norm in this environment, the buck stops with me," he asserted.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1GK0Wc86l
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Tappa is really stepping it up as a manager now. I like how he sounds. He has identified areas where we need improvement and has sought the necessary authority to make those changes from his bosses.

I guess he does not see Stewart as having what it takes to give him the necessary support to take us to the next level, hence he has asked to give him someone else.

Good going Tappa! I am behind you 100%!!
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

As Tappa said - The buck stops here.

Perhaps, Bradley has imparted all he knows and Tappa has taken it all in - sucked him dry. ..and it is now time to add from another source.

That woud make sense. Certainly it could not be for Tappa to suggest the orther way around? Hey Bradley has sucked me dry and it is time for him to get rid of me, the head coach, and give Bradley another head coach??? Cudden guh suh...cud hit???
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

ah wheh di ?!

you need to increase your dosage..

Comment

Rafa Benitez looking for work...
          Peter R

Comment

is there something going on .. I think Jackie was fired from the u17ths under he quiet.. and WD almost got it too after the first game...

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
              is there something going on .. I think Jackie was fired from the u17ths under he quiet.. and WD almost got it too after the first game...
              Jackie who? Walters?

Comment

Working...
              X