Liverpool vs Man Utd: In-Depth Tactical Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liverpool vs Man Utd: In-Depth Tactical Analysis

Liverpool’s resurgence under Kenny Dalglish appeared to have been derailed by last week’s loss to West Ham, but the Reds emerged triumphant in this fixture, prevailing over a Manchester United team that has now lost three out of five Premier League games for the first time since 2004.

Tactical Line-ups

Having employed three centre-backs against West Ham last week, Dalglish and Clarke reverted to a more conventional back four here, as Liverpool were configured in a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 shape: Glen Johnson started in his preferred right-back position in place of the injured Martin Kelly, and the returning Fabio Aurelio fulfilled the left-back role; Carragher partnered Skrtel in the centre of defence, with Daniel Agger still indisposed.

Unfortunately, Aurelio’s reappearance in the starting line-up was brief, and his injury-enforced substitution saw Carragher shuffle out to right-back, as Kyrgiakos took his place at centre-back, while Johnson resumed service at left-back.

Lucas and Gerrard reprised their double pivot function, offering protection in front of the back four from their deep-lying midfield positions – although Gerrard would periodically make forward incursions to augment the home side’s attacking contingent, leaving the Brazilian as the sole defensive midfielder. Meireles and Maxi played on the right- and left-hand flanks respectively, while the scintillating Suarez supported lone-striker Kuyt from a deeper position, as he sought to find space between Manchester United’s defensive and midfield lines.

Alex Ferguson’s decision to utilise a standard 4-4-2 was somewhat surprising, given his previous inclination towards a 4-5-1/4-3-3 in the ostensibly ‘big’ games, as he did against Marseille in the Champions League recently (perhaps an admission that he no longer considers Liverpool a legitimate rival?) – although it must be noted that he used a 4-4-2 against Liverpool in the FA Cup this season, and against Chelsea last week as well.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/03/liverpool-vs-man-utd-in-depth-tactical-analysis/
    Last edited by Karl; March 10, 2011, 06:49 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Lucas Leiva: How he proved me wrong and Owned Rooney !

Jack Wells is another fan hailing the rejuvenation of Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva at Anfield.
    Written by Jack Wells on March 8th, 2011 View Comments

Sunday’s 3-1 demolition of Manchester United was a game that will live long in the memory of Liverpool fans, with outstanding performances all over the pitch. The post-match talk has been all about Luis Suarez’s sensational footwork,Dirk Kuyt’s super hat-trick, and the first glimpses of Anfield’s new hero, Andy Carroll.
    However, the brilliant performance for me this weekend, was of our Brazilian midfielder, Lucas Leiva.

As I watched the game for a second time, revelling in our thrashing of United, something stood out for me. The performance of Lucas completely underlined the vast improvement he has made over the past year or so.

There is no doubt Lucas endured a difficult start to life on Anfield. For his first three seasons he was made the scapegoat for all of Liverpool’s problems and flaws, and I’ll admit, I was one of the many who called for the young Brazilian to be sold.

In Lucas’ defence, the £6million price tag he commanded probably didn’t help him when he arrived from Gremio in 2007. I, like many, expected a lot from the Under-20 Brazilian captain. He came with a good reputation as a box-to-box midfielder, and maybe it was a bit premature to expect we may have found the next Kaka.

It’s fair to say Lucas struggled to find his feet in the Premier League. In his debut season on Merseyside, Lucas was seen as the Achilles heel of the Liverpool team. He seemed to lack the physical presence needed as a central midfielder in England, often being knocked off the ball. His passing was also wayward, and when he did complete a pass, it was usually either backwards or sideways.

Unfortunately for Lucas, his second year was even worse than his first. Games were passing him by, and Lucas was becoming a passenger in the Liverpool team.

Something not expected of a Liverpool player. As his poor displays carried on, the Liverpool fans were starting to get on his back, dwindling away at any shard of self-confidence he had left.

The 2009/10 campaign saw the introduction of Lucas into regular first team action. With the loss of Xabi Alonso, who completed a move to Real Madrid, Lucas was to sit in midfield alongside Javier Mascherano. My first thoughts were who the hell is going to create chances for Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres? The combination of Gerrard and Torres was helped massively by the creative traits of Xabi Alonso, who seemed to be able pass a ball through the eye of a needle. Lucas, as far as I was concerned, didn’t have the ability to provide for Gerrard and Torres in the same way Alonso did.

After putting on a few pounds in pre-season, the midfielder looked as though he was more of the physical presence I mentioned earlier. However, filling the boots of
    Xabi Alonso was an entirely different proposition. On paper I was right, Liverpool did miss the influence of Alonso as the reds stumbled to a seventh placed finish, the club’s worst finish in over 15 years. However, there was no doubt that Lucas was improving, showing glimpses of his real potential. In fact, Lucas was probably Liverpool’s best player that season, maybe that was a testament to him, or maybe that was simply because everyone else was so dire.

When Lucas’ biggest supporter, Rafa Benitez, left at the end of that season, it seemed the writing was on the wall for the young midfielder. After being linked with here, there and everywhere, I was expecting Lucas to go. Stoke looking the most likely destination.

However, thankfully, no such move materialised. This season has seen an even greater improvement from the 24-year old. No longer is Lucas getting pushed off the ball so easily, he is winning tackles and his passing is much more positive. In a season of many ups and downs, Lucas has been consistently excellent. Finally he is showing the abundance of potential Rafa Benitez saw in him.

Since the return of Kenny Dalglish, Lucas has been flying. In Dalglish’s first five games, Lucas’ pass completion rate hasn’t dropped below 80%. A statistic to rival even the best passers in the game, such as Xavi or dare I say it, Xabi Alonso.
    Lucas’ performance against Manchester United summed up his season. He dominated the midfield with passion, determination and composure. He out-battled Scholes and Carrick in the centre, and when in possession, some of his passes were Alonso-esque. A phrase I wouldn’t dream of using two seasons ago.

The pundits praised the likes of Suarez, Kuyt and Meireles, who no doubt rightfully deserve their applause. However, Lucas was the important cog which made the Liverpool wheels turn, he won possession and then fed the ball to the likes of Suarez, Kuyt and Meireles. The Brazilian had a pass completion rate of 84% yesterday, no mean feat in such a fast paced, physical fixture.

For a long time I thought Lucas was just another lightweight ‘playmaker’, destined to flop in the Premier League. However, to his credit, he has become a combative central midfielder, one of which I’m pleased to say is a Liverpool player. I’ve not always been Lucas’ biggest fan, but in this case, I am more than happy to have been proven wrong.
    Last edited by Karl; March 10, 2011, 06:52 PM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Who wrote that? Paul Marin? LOL
      Peter R

Comment

Sorry - I still don't rate him. Maybe it is because I want to see another Xabi in that position that I feel that way, but there is no question he has improved.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Improved and Improving , Imperative we get Charlie Adam.

If he gets injured we will be a midtable club again , no depth in that defensive midfield.

Its going to be tuff , because Man U will try to Hijack it.

We need 5 players to win the prem next year.

1) Charlie adam cover for Lucas.
          2)A right winger who can play as an attacking midfielder cover for Maxi and competion for Maxi ,Gerrad and Miereles.
          4) A bonafide left back .
          5)A left winger who can play as an attacking midfielder cover for Kuyt and competition for Gerrad and Miereles.

Aquallani will be recalled for cover of Gerrad or Miereles,Deadwood Jovanic,Cole and Poulsin out , probably 7 to 10 million in the tranfer kitty. Budget 50 million plus the 5 to 6 million.
          Last edited by Sir X; March 10, 2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X