• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry, Richards work well together

March 6, 2011
    A NEW PARTNERSHIP?
    Henry, Richards work well together

Dane Richards made life miserable for Kansas City defenders Saturday night.
    Ernesto Motta/New York Red Bulls
    TUCSON, Ariz. -- Hmmm. After Saturday night's performance partnering with Thierry Henry up top, perhaps Dane Richards will wind up as a starting forward for the Red Bulls, at least in the early part of this MLS season.

Richards, a Jamaican international who made his reputation as a right-sided midfielder with blazing speed, was dangerous as a striker in the Red Bulls' 2-2 pre-season draw with Sporting Kansas City.

He set up the first goal to tie the game when Henry put in a rebound shot past goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen in the 22nd minute and scored another equalizing goal in the 76th minute off a pass from Henry.

"It's a good start," Richards was quoted on Red Bulls Reader. "I like playing on top with him because he attracts defends and open space for me. I like the combination up top."

It certainly would be difficult to argue with that after Saturday.

"It's always good for the team when the strikers can score," Henry said. "We had a good understanding on a couple of occasions."

Red Bulls coach Hans Backe has found himself thin at striker with Juan Agudelo out for several days with a groin injury and Luke Rodgers still not at full fitness and not ready to play.

So, it was encouraging to see how well Henry and Richards played together.

"I think both looked sharp today," Backe said. "Henry's strong, powerful, very good to get a hold of the ball. Dane [is] more and more anticipating of taking his runs behind. When he's turned the right way, it's almost impossible to close down."

Backe was heartened that the Red Bulls twice fought back from one-goal deficits.

"It's good that we showed that character and attitude," he said.

He called it a "competitive game, a very good game for us to play an MLS team so the news guys can see what kind of level it is. It was an entertaining game, a lot of chances."
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X